Anyone put 70% ceramic tint all around in a coupe with black interior | FerrariChat

Anyone put 70% ceramic tint all around in a coupe with black interior

Discussion in '360/430' started by CoreyNJ, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    I’ve been toying with have all my windows including the windshield tinted at 70%. I’m told this would almost be unnoticed except it will cut down the heat inside a ton. Anyone have experience with this or even some pics of what it would look like? Even in NJ I hate leaving the car with the window closed on my driveway in the summer because it gets so hot inside.

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

2. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Would like that myself

Had it on my last car though (1st gen NSX), inspection station made me remove it to pass

Central Jersey.

3. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Even 70% they noticed it at the NJ state inspection station?

4. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    In the uk, the windscreen tint must let in 75% light, front sides are 70%. No restriction on rears

5. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Did 80% on all the glass, windshield 50%, worked/works great.

6. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    It was on the car when I got it, so I'm not sure exactly how much it was, but it wasn't that dark, most people wouldn't have even realized they were tinted.

They noticed it, looked at the edge and saw it wasn't factory and made me remove.

Not sure if they have it written down anywhere

7. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    Found this, maybe you can argue you have a medical need...

"New Jersey law prohibits tinting the windshield and windows in the drivers and passenger side doors, said Mairin Bellack, a state Motor Vehicle Commission spokeswoman. Glass in the rear doors and back window may be tinted, however there are standards for how dark or reflective they can be. "

https://www.nj.com/traffic/2015/12/how_many_tickets_are_issued_for_tinted_windows_ask.html

8. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Is your 80% the light it lets through ? or is it only letting 20% through

9. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The rating in the US is "Visible Light Transmission" meaning it lets 80% through.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Same as here in uk then. On a trip to Aussy they had a lot of cars with dark tints.

armedferret likes this.
  11. CoreyNJ

CoreyNJ Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 17, 2006
    New Jersey Shore
    Thanks... I have been pulled over in my wife's Cayenne, but it has very dark windows and I do have a prescription for that. Even with the prescription I get hassled, so I can only imagine a red Ferrari.

So if it really was just the inspection station, it may not be so bad. I always have the windows down on her truck when I get it inspected and have never been asked for the prescription there. I am just wondering how obvious the front windshield is with 70%. Will it be a cop magnet?

Thanks,
    Cheers,
    Corey

12. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's a Ferrari in NJ. NJ cops already have an enormous reputation and not because they like to respect people's rights and privacy.

I do wish you luck but i would recommend maybe getting 85-90% as long as you're going ceramic. You still get all the heat blocking without nearly as much darkening.

If you *DO* get pulled over for the love of all that's holy don't answer questions. If they are asking you something like "is your windshield tinted?" Or "why were you going so fast?" It's because if you answer yes or even say "sorry about that" it's a confession. The whole point of asking questions isnt to come across as your buddy, it's to get you to self-incriminate. If you dont answer (respectfully saying something like "i prefer not to answr questions right now sir/ma'am") the burden is still on them to prove. You show up tp court to fight a ticket and the cop says you admitted doing it....welp.

;)