Key won’t turn far enough to engage starter | FerrariChat

Key won’t turn far enough to engage starter

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2008F430, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Hey Guys,

I searched and didn’t see a thread on this so let me know if there is one out there.
    So I am working through small issues on the car and just a few minutes ago I stopped to fill it up and the key was getting jammed. I have noticed that it doesn’t want to come out without some wiggling of the key. This time it didn’t want to turn forward without wiggling the key. Even then it wasn’t moving past the run position. I had my son (who was amazed you could start the car without the starter) push me off and we made it back home.
    Has anyone had this issue?
    If so, can I take it apart and clean it or is there a new part I can buy.
    This is definitely an issue with the tumblers or the key internals.

Thanks in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    First thing I would try is some type of lubricant.

3. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I tried a small amount of WD 40 with no results. Also tried two other keys I have with no results. It did feel a little smoother but it didn’t feel like it was a lubrication problem. It feels like it is hitting a dead stop.

Also, The steering wheel is unlocking.

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Will the key not advance to the start position, or does it go to the start position and nothing happens?

5. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    It will not advance to the start position. It will advance to the run position with some wiggling. It definitely feels like something is not working inside the tumblers if I had to guess

6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    remove the electric part from the lock and see if you then can turn the key to start? if so then it is a problem of the electric part, if not then a problem of the lock

7. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
  8. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    It is probably the the black lastc module on the ignition switch where the wires connect...worn out or burned out. I removes easily with a straight screwdriver.. It is a standard BMW part from the 2002ti..about $100 bucks. There are several very good posts here and in the 308 forums. Removing the seat will save you many hours and your neck and back. Also buy the german-made one...NOT the chinese one. I hope that this is of some use to you. Jq.

9. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Looks like I am going to have to get a locksmith to work this out. The key is stuck and will not come out. Ugh!!

10. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    You do not need a locksmith do do this. Remove the driver's seat and slide under there with a flashlight and orient yourself to the wires and note their position on the switch then remove them. and use a straight screwdriver on the tow slot-head screws and pull of the black module, and the end of the key will be exposed. Then you can turn the key to remove the key to pull it out of the lock. Lock lube may help. If you think this is too advanced for you to do, ask your wife or kid to do it. Also, look for my threads on this in this forum and 308 forum and 365/400i forum. Go to the BMW parts counter and tell them you need the ignition module from 1960s through 1980s. Buy two, because this WILL happen again. Disconnect the battery before-hand. When you are finished, you will need to reset the clock...however, I cannot help you with that one. I hope this helps you. Jq.

EZORED, turbo-joe and 2008F430 like this.
  11. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
  12. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    Ok. I do t feel like that was nearly as easy as you made it seem. I got the top plastic steering column part off but not the top. It didn’t come off easy and I am thing I need a tool to take the steering wheel off. Anyway, I don’t see the back of the key. Looks like I will need to remove some security screws to remove the collar off the column. Am I on the right track?

13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you not have to remove the steering wheel
    the key look is fastened to withj a half shelf with 2 "break-screws". so the heads turn off when you have torqued right. those screws you may remove and then you will have the ingintion lock in your hand
    but you may get the steering column a little down to reach to those screws

14. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    No matter how hard I try the top plastic piece will jot come off. I think that if I push/pull any harder it will surely break the plastic. The only thing that I can see that is holding it in is the steering wheel collar. Any other ideas?

15. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I finally got the ignition switch out and hopefully have a new/old replacement on the way. I will try to post directions with pictures to help anyone in the future. I found that you do have to remove the steering wheel to get the column wrap (plastic pieces) off. There is another screw that is only accessible once the wheel is off. Also had to remove the instrument panel to get to the wires.

16. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    I wanted to thank everyone for the help. The TR is back on the road and I wanted to clear up some things said in this thread. From what I experienced on my 1987 TR, it is impossible to remove the ignition without taking off the wheel which requires a special tool. I found this tool at Hill Engineering - 23 mm steeling wheel nut remover and a steering wheel puller which you can buy anywhere. Once the wheel is removed, there are 2 - TWO screws which can only be accessed once the wheel is off. It was stated above that you can just remove the two visible screws on the bottom of the column to remove the plastic pieces that cover the column. This was not true on my car. I was able to locate a brand new / old genuine Ferrari ignition from Tom Vail’s all Ferrari. I was able to remove the break off security screws by using a sharp metal punch and a lot of patience. I hope this helps anyone that has to do this job in the future. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    more than 1.000 US $ for only a lock with 2 keys and the electric part?

what I would have done:
    leave the ignition key as it is and install a push-button for the starter. not even 10 US $

18. 2008F430

2008F430 Karting

Apr 30, 2020
    St Augustine
    It was 1,000 for 3 keys, ignition, two door locks and the gas cap lock. Expensive but original Ferrari parts. The ignition I had was not repairable. To each his own I guess.

turbo-joe likes this.
  19. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Totally agree. I would have to have it original.
    I went to huge time and $ to find a new one for my 330 GT