Massive leak from gearbox, unsure of exact issue and cost | FerrariChat

Massive leak from gearbox, unsure of exact issue and cost

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by 83Cordia, Feb 24, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 83Cordia

83Cordia Rookie

Jan 21, 2020
    Hello all, just woke up a couple days ago and saw a massive oil leak coming out of my 82 QV.
    Had it towed to my mechanics shop and had a look underneath. Upon inspection I found this split boot and shaft. The rest of the engine is dry. What is this part and what could be the issue? He says he would have to drop the engine to tackle it. How much would it cost do you guys reckon? Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Try doing a search using "shift shaft seal" in the 308 and/or Mondial sections for prior threads showing what's involved.

2cam and JLF like this.
  3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    You might need a new mechanic. Never heard of dropping the 3.2L engine to replace the two shift shaft seals. Not fun, and not cheap, but not super hard.

2cam likes this.
  4. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    ^Agreed! I would be VERY concerned about a mechanic that's telling you the motor needs to be removed for this repair. While not a perfect scenario, the car is drivable as is. Just be sure that your oil level is where it should be before driving. The shift shaft seals are an extremely common source of leaks (it's actually the engine oil leaking in your pics) on our cars (as well as 308s/328s). While it's common and not a terribly easy job, the repair definitely does NOT require the removal of the motor and trans to fix it (unless there's something else needed that wasn't discussed in your first post). As Steve mentioned above, do a search on "shift shaft seals". There's enough material there to read for days. There's an inner and an outer seal. I'd suggest doing both to ensure that you're not getting motor oil into your trans fluid (the shift shaft passes through the oil sump into the trans sump - crazy design - there's an inner seal between the two that is supposed to keep the fluids separated). Here's a good thread for you to read:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/shiftershaft-seals-328.235175/

I need to do these seals on my car as well and have been doing research on the repair. The parts aren't expensive at all (several Fchat vendors sell them - including one that offers a complete kit with all of the parts in one), but the job itself is a bit challenging.

Good luck with it!

2cam

5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    There's no need to drop the engine for this, don't believe the guy. Just put the car on a ramp, remove the sump covers (both) and replace the seals. A couple of hours work, but it's all pretty easy. Don't forget to pull out the oil dipstick first before taking off the engine sump cover.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    If you have to remove the engine dipstick tube, i think this is screwed in on a fine thread so take care refitting as i understand people have cross threaded it in the past. You need to remove the tube otherwise the engine sump pan will not drop off, you will get it off the joint but not much more.
    If you take the gearbox sump cover off you need to be very careful, there are some springs and a few single ball bearings that will drop out as soon as you pull it off. Great care as you need to know what goes where when you refit it, mine ended up on the floor as did not know about them.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Gents, my guess is the PO prefers to pay someone to work on it. He needs to find a new mechanic.

2cam likes this.
  8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I did both seals but only removing the transmission pan. It was much easier than I expected.

9. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    #9 ginoBBi512, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    My dealer is replacing the shift shaft seal on my 328 , 1800.00 Ferrari dealerships are at 215.00 per hour, which is more than the independent shops around where I live. I hope this helps.Most guys on here can do it themselves, Im not one of them, I dont think the seal kit is very costly, the 1800.00 includes the parts , gearbox oil, I supplied the motor oil.Like the OP said, the motor does not have to come out.I myself thinks 1800.00 is most likely 400- 600 more than I could get it done at the independent shops, but the dealer already had my car for a complete fuse board rebuild, so I thought, what the hell and I okd the work.

Thank you

10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Based on the time it took me, the costs from independents you noted would be fair, albeit since they know what they are doing that would be a nice profitable project. But that's the point of expertise. The dealer premium is not unique to Ferrari. So nothing out of order here. If you get the job done without delay, and get your car back on the road with no stress or hassles, that is worth something too.

ginoBBi512 likes this.
  11. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    You can even let the engine cover in place. Just flush both oil engine and gearbox. Middle seal can be replaced from gearbox side....with a pick remove it, put the shaft back in place just in front of the opening (engine side, so seal is'nt flipping in engine) and TRY to place the seal back...thats the tricky part...but it can be done !! It did this some months ago....