Portofino vs California T - first time buyer | FerrariChat

Portofino vs California T - first time buyer

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by ohmygosh, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

If you were buying a used Ferrari now, which would you choose or recommend between

1. A used 2016 California T at c.£105k

28.8%
  2. A used 2019 Portofino at c.£140k

71.2%
  1. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Hi folks - I'm looking to buy my first Ferrari and would appreciate some views on this topic.

We are a family of 4 in the UK, kids are 6 and 7 and we have Tesla Model X for daily use. So this is a weekend car that we could either all go out in occasionally and that I can use for some fun.

I'd like to make a smart decision between a used Cali T vs a used Porto based on purchase price, depreciation and cost of ownership. Based on the research I have done, when you compare a 2018/19 Porto with a 2015-17 California T, what seems to happen is that the residual values on the Porto are so much stronger that you end up paying a fairly similar monthly payment and so cost of ownership is largely the same (assuming you can sell them both easily at the end for the target price). So the difference in overall cost to own is £8k - £10k over 3 years.

So I'm therefore drawn towards the more expensive choice to buy, but seems logical given where each is in its depreciation curve. It also brings the added benefits of longer warranty, servicing, and less likelihood of stuff going wrong.

What are people's thoughts on this logic?

The second consideration is then which is the better car? From a looks point of view, I like both equally. And I expect the drive will appeal to me equally given its my first Ferrari. But the dated dash / tech of the Cali T does bother me somewhat and is playing on my mind.

Any thoughts on this point would also be appreciated?

I've also added a poll to get general view on this too.

Thanks

2. DrStig

DrStig Rookie

Dec 26, 2020
    I bought a 2017 Cali T HS last month and love it but if I felt comfortable at the price point of a used Portifino I would have certainly gone for that instead. The price savings made the purchase much more comfortable for me.

ohmygosh likes this.
  3. thomastrain

thomastrain Rookie

Oct 30, 2019
    Full Name:
    Steve CI
    Put your kids in the back seat first of either car. Not much room back there for a long drive but both are fun drivers.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

ohmygosh likes this.
  4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    This +1000. Whenever anyone asks about the backseat of the Cali, I like to post this pic. That's a 11 kg dog with the seat not all the way back! It's not very roomy back there. Definitely, get them back there on a test drive.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

If your kids are tall for their age, it's going to be a tight fit, and not comfortable for longer drives. Also, at that age they are going to be growing quickly. So, I would guess you will likely be driving alone or with one other family member, if that figures into your calculus. As for the cost, if the cost is only 10K pounds over 3 years, I would definitely go for the newer car...T

alex, Smitrax and ohmygosh like this.
  5. Quietriot

Quietriot Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 28, 2018
    2019 Portafino. The new dash is fantastic. You will love it.

ohmygosh likes this.
  6. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    very good point.

7. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai

Thank you so much for this. Very sweet picture by the way! My daughter (6) is quite small for her age and my son (7) is about average. My wife and I are both 5’7” so perhaps it’s an occasion where being short pays off!!

Is that a Cali or Porto? Apparently the Porto is 2 inches bigger? Not sure if anyone can validate that?

8. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    I bought a new Porto last year and have sat in a Cali T that a friend owns. The biggest difference is in the display. The Porto has a pretty high definition screen for navigation etc, whereas the Cali screen is really very poor. Secondly, the Cali does not have a key that you can keep in your pocket. It has to be inserted but that does make it less liable to be hacked by crooks. The "extra" rear legroom is a bit of a joke. I am also 5' 7" and there is VERY little leg room at the back in the Porto; I imagine the Cali will have even less. The slightly extra power and lower weight are not really apparant unless you intend to tear around a race track. To me the Porto looks a bit better but that is a matter of taste and you have to look quite carefully to see the differences. I wanted to be able to configure the car myself, which was a big reason for me getting a brand new car. Heavy on depreciation though. Good luck with your choice. I would personally go for the newer model, largely because of the better screen.

tomc and C4YES like this.
  9. vjd3

vjd3 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2005
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Vic
    I have to say, owning a Cali T myself, the cost difference plus depreciation and sort of incremental upgrades from the T to the Porto deterred me from considering it. I don't look at the screens or use any of the tech when driving, and initially I was put off by the more angular styling of the Porto, although it has grown on me. The Porto M is interesting, though.

On the other hand, my 2015 Cali T has probably bottomed out now -- 20k miles, and a ding on the Carfax from a minor low mph accident (no airbags and driveable) -- so I might as well drive the wheels off it. Almost sold it last fall, had a retail offer for $117k that I probably should have taken, but I knew I would just wind up writing a big check to get another one just like it with fewer miles and a clean Carfax in the spring and it didn't make sense.

Need to decide whether to re-up on the warranty in July, though. Hmmm. ;)

10. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Super helpful, thank you. It’s tricky to see one at the moment due to the rules. But I feel it’s a good time to buy with relatively fewer buyers out there and pre-spring.

If you have any photos of the gap based on the furthest forward you feel you could comfortably have the drivers seat that would be very interesting to see.

11. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    That is a first-gen (2011). My wife is 5' 8", and so the seat was not all the way back.

And, I think you are correct, I recall there being some mention of the Porto having a tiny bit more room, but cannot recall if it was 2 in or 2 cm...T

12. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

ohmygosh likes this.
  13. cyr

cyr Formula Junior

Jan 28, 2020
    Full Name:
    Cy
    Here are two photographs I have just taken. As you can see from the one with the tape measure, there is about 13 cms room. The front seat is how I normally drive: hands slightly bent, foot can depress the pedals completely. On the few occasions my daughter and her husband sit at the back, I pull my seat slightly more forward. Eminently possible. I understand the Cali has a bit less room. Hope this helps. You will not regret getting a Porto. Comfortable enough to trundle around town and wonderful when you put your foot down.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

ohmygosh likes this.
  14. RamsHmb

RamsHmb Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2017
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    James
    Having owned the Cali, Cali t and Porto (still own the Porto) I would vote portofino. I actually love the look of the first Cali but the fit, finish and ergonomics have only gotten better. And don’t forget that these are hand built (more than less) exotics...meaning they are highly tuned and will at some point have Some issues. I know that the motor mounts are a problem on the calis...my dad had to replace his. So the newer, less broken in the better, imho. Great news is you can’t go wrong...both are fantastic cars.

15. swiftar

swiftar Rookie

Aug 23, 2020
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Went through the same decision process - I went with the 2015 T. My rationale was I could drive the bejesus out of it because it was closer to the bottom of its depreciation curve. The Porto Fino still has a way to go. So if you plan on putting a ton of miles on - the T may be for you.

On back seat- I had my 21 year old son (6 foot 1) get back there as a joke to take his picture. The top was up and we could not get him out.

My 8 and 10 year old nieces fit back there with no issue (sans car seats).

Caeruleus11, Cali T HS and ohmygosh like this.
  16. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    We fit 3 men on the Cali T HS. Also another time two adult couples. Top down it is usable. But longer than 45 mins can be uncomfortable.

About 50k is not a small difference. I'd get the Cali T HS with carplay and invest the rest on technology stocks :)

ohmygosh likes this.
  17. RickLederman

RickLederman F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Full Name:
    Rick Lederman
    Since 2010 I've owned two California's and a California T (one at a time). Traded the T for a new Portofino last May. I drive them daily here in NW Ohio, snow, salt, whatever, along with a GTC4Lusso. I put too many miles on them so I move up every few years when I can. The first Cali I put over 30,000 miles on in the first 1.5 years of ownership! My Portofino has about 9,000 miles I think now. The T was significantly faster than the Cali's and the Portofino blows away the T. The Portofino is SIGNIFICANTLY stiffer than the California's but still a comfortable ride even with the shocks in the stiff mode. So, if you can afford it, the Portofino wins hands down. As far as kids, like a previous response, put your kids in one and see if they can stand the back seats. It depends on how tall you are, how long your legs are, and same for them. I am 6 ft 1 inch and there is not room for someone in the back in my normal driving position. I can move the seat up enough for a small kid though as long as it is not a long drive! And driving in the winter is no big deal as long as you purchase Pirelli SotoZero tires. With normal summer tires, the slightest snow, or even salt, is dangerous to drive.

alex, Caeruleus11, ohmygosh and 2 others like this.
  18. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
  19. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    That's the right approach!

alex likes this.
  20. Nycdoc

Nycdoc Rookie

Aug 22, 2020
    Full Name:
    Steven Karmin
    Definitely the Portofino. I’ve had a 2010 California, a 2017 Cali T, and now I have a 2019 Portofino. The Portofino wins by a long shot. Life’s too short. Go for it!

ohmygosh and California4Ever like this.
  21. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    I’ve had all three as well. Each gets progressively better with the exception that the Cali sounded much better than the Cali T.

My vote would be Portofino, it’s worth it. Feedback on the Cali and Cali T were that they were too soft. Ferrari addressed the criticism making the Portofino feel a little sportier and better sounding IMO than the Cali T, yet in Comfort mode it still feels relaxed. Screens are a significant upgrade along with the interior tech and proximity key. My Cali T was a 2016 which was the same year as my BMW M6, yet you would have thought regarding the interior technology that the Cali T was 5 years older than the BMW. In 2021, the tech of the Cali T is just so dated. Portofino quality feels higher end from the fit and finish. Performance of the Portofino is noticeably better, especially if you drive them back to back.

Final thought, they’re both Ferrari’s - you’ll love the Cali T or Portofino, can’t go wrong with either choice.

ohmygosh and Caeruleus11 like this.
  22. lucasines

lucasines Karting

Apr 22, 2016
    Paris
    Full Name:
    Gilles
    Cali T Handling Special is not too soft, and better sounding than the Cali T

23. sandisk

sandisk Karting

Jul 16, 2013
    Has to be the Portofino as everything has evolved/improved

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

D11 and ohmygosh like this.
  24. ohmygosh

ohmygosh Rookie

Feb 19, 2021
    Full Name:
    Amir Goshtai
    Just to say a huge thank you to everyone who took the time to reply and contribute to the discussion. I bought this today. Very excited and can't wait to collect it!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

GTFan, Florida Joe, D11 and 9 others like this.
  25. CCallaud

CCallaud Rookie

Feb 21, 2021
    Full Name:
    C
    Beautiful car. Enjoy!

ohmygosh likes this.