Re-paint or leave original | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Re-paint or leave original

Discussion in '348/355' started by Boaf 32, Nov 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Did you wrap the clear bra under the nose too? People ask why didn't clear bra mine when it was freshly painted, and it's because the scraping on the bottom of the bumper would end up leaving shredded plastic dangling under the car.

2. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan

Have you figured out what paint was used for the black out paint yet and is this a ppg car or glasurit?

I havent gone and tried to get a match yet for my repaint.

3. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I think it really really depends on where you are in the country and what labor costs run there. I've paid $20k several times for show quality paint on muscle car restorations I've done. I've also spent $3500 on supplies and done it myself with ever improving results. Being in Montana a good paint shop has you over a barrel on what they want to charge you.
    I had a guy from Texas come and pick up one on my cars he had bought and when he saw the $20k+ paint bill he told me he could get the same job done for half that in Texas. He got me I touch with a guy and I would have been able to ship a car from Montana to Texas and back to get it painted and still save several thousand dollars. I never did it though as I just started painting my own at that time.

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I have not. We used Hot Rod black on my last but it was too glossy.

Jim (INTMD8) told me what his shop used but I did not try it.

5. Boaf 32

Boaf 32 Formula Junior

Aug 23, 2016
    US
    It is a smooth dent but I doubt it.

6. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    #31 Challenge, Nov 17, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2016
    One of the reasons I bought the Spider I did was the paint. It was (and is) basically flawless. The previous owner wanted a "show car" and had a full repaint done by one of the only FNA-certified body shops in North America (Karosserie). Impeccable work. I have a 4-page letter from them detailing the work if and when I ever sell.

Fresh PPG Rosso Corsa 322 DS, seats recovered and a new windshield was $30K. This was 2008. I can only imagine what this costs today.

PS - I forgot the exact #, but there are something like 20 different variants of Rosso Corsa over the years, so you need a shop that knows exactly what they are doing.

7. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Karosserie does excellent work. My Maserati GT had the entire front clip repainted by them prior to my purchase (Algar) for $3500.00. Seems they charge dealers much less than individuals. I considered them for refinishing wheels and to be honest, Steve turned me off as he would never call back or get on the phone. I don't like chasing people I wish to do business with.

Richard Mullin used to run the shop and now has his own place and he does amazing work but is very backup up. He is rebuilding a Muira from ground up and I mean fabricating a ton of the frame and body sheet metal. He is basically building the car from scratch. We are refinished the air vents for him. The guy is a master craftsman.

8. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Can you share what shop you used?

9. Carmellini

Carmellini Formula Junior

Jul 16, 2019
  10. Joshman0531

Joshman0531 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 19, 2012
    Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Joshua Seidenberg
    I did the same and I am about to have the bumper resprayed due to rock chips and fiber glass chips. No one is looking for "aged patina" 355s, which doesn't mean you need to repaint it. I am only saying that because you won't harm yourself if you paint bumpers etc to keep it how you like it. IMO

They are what they are...the best sounding V8s. Timeless :D

11. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Motion Products