Testarossa Stereo | FerrariChat

Testarossa Stereo

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Guss23, Feb 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    How hard it is to remove the stereo in a testarossa??

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #2 Steve Magnusson, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Depends on how much of the dash needs to be disassembled and how it was installed/wired -- my Nakamichi TD-560 (which is a plug-in style) recently failed, and when the repair shop wanted me to send in the metal sleeve with the wires from the dash, too, I just bought another used TD-560 off eBay ;). Seriously, if I ever have the dash out of my TR again, I'll be a lot more careful about setting up the wiring so that the radio/sleeve can be more easily serviced without needing to disassemble the dash.

Here's the level that I'd have to get to to remove the metal sleeve and its wiring (since there is no extra length in the existing wiring to pull the sleeve out forward):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

And here's a shot showing how the radio can be "trapped" behind the main dash carcass (if it was installed that way):

Attached Files:

3. Loudoun_Prime

Loudoun_Prime Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 10, 2020
    Aldie, VA
    Full Name:
    Doug Magee
    Thanks for these pictures. I'm still trying to locate the speaker wires for a new radio I want to put in mine. Unfortunately even with these great pictures I can't find where the wires for the radio come from. The only wire I am able to find in the blank is the antenna wire :(.

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I recently replace my radio. To get it out I had to pull off the trim ring /face plate of the old radio. then I slid a hacksaw blade down both sides of the radio which released the radio. I was then able to pull it forward and out. Depending up what brand of new radio you replacing it with, go on eBay and buy and adaptor if you need to.

Loudoun_Prime likes this.
  5. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I don't listen to the radio in my TR. Music from the engine.

EZORED, turbo-joe and dradambbb like this.
  6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
  7. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Does this allow the front dash pad to be removed without pulling the windshield? Pulling the dash out looks kind of scary, but not nearly as scary as pulling the windshield and trying to get it reinstalled PERFECTLY!

How long does it take to get to this point? My shrunken leather on the dash while not as bad as some, still is annoying.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    When I first contacted the repair shop (and it was difficult to find any repair shop that would even look at a Nakamichi car stereo -- in fact, many specifically stated "no Nakamichi car stereo" on their website) and I indicated that the radio had a problem, he asked me: "Does the CD still work?" -- I had to remind him that it has a cassette player ;).

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes (taking the windshield out to replace the upper dash pad seems a little crazy to me), but you should also replace the terrible "soda-straw" substrate of the vented upper dash pad with something more stable/rugged along with the leather (Algar used aluminum sheet metal on mine done before I bought it). I'd say at least 3~4 hrs to disassemble (and keep all the parts/fasteners organized) -- you need to start at the floor mats and work your way up (and, most likely, you'll need to do some repair/improvement as using sheet metal screws directly into fiberglass is a really poor design).

10. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    Even if the job took 12-15 hours, it's worth doing. My car has exposed aluminum at the vents on two of them. Does that mean it's already been repaired? IS the dash pad made of the terrible soda straw substrate on all the cars?

11. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #11 Steve Magnusson, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    I think it is (originally), but don't know for sure -- just basing it on some pictures I've seen here. Post #3 here has some pics of the underside of the stock upper dash pad:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/tr-dash-removal.561979/#post-145616015

And this thread has some comments about it from Rifledriver (using masonite as a replacement substrate):

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/leather-shrinkage-and-dash-warpage-remedy.122921/

There might be some aluminum inserts just in the vent areas based on Newman's comments in the same thread.

12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    I have to chuckle at your soda straw substrate description. That pretty much sums up what it looks like! Thanks a lot for you input. I may have to tackle this job.

13. Guss23

Guss23 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Jason Sharkey
    Loudoun_Prime and EZORED like this.