Writing story on famous car artist Bill Neale | FerrariChat

Writing story on famous car artist Bill Neale

Discussion in 'Texas' started by bitzman, Feb 23, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I heard he passed in January, and I want to write a tribute to him on an art website, but don't know much about his life other than besides being a fine artist himself, he was a best friend of Carroll Shelby before Shelby got world famous. He painted many pictures of racing Cobras. He was also an art director for decades, might have been a partner in a agency. One small anecdote I like but need confirmation of is when he, Shelby and a few other guys were out at some camping place, with guns, motorcycles and what not and someone rode right over the back of someone who had fallen off their bike. After seeing the guy run over wasn't hurt much, Neale had him take off the sweatshirt and copied the tire track across the back of the shirt motif on other garments. Now there's an artist! Any more stories?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

WJHMH, DRYHOLE, Isobel and 1 other person like this.
  2. walters1939

walters1939 Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Walters
    Bill Neale was art director at Tracy-Locke ad agency here in Dallas. The Dallas Morning News posted an extensive obituary of him in their obituary column a few days age. Suggest you go there and read it.

3. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    The guy you need to talk to is Scott Black. He is a PR guy, who takes care of all the Shelby stuff now. He and Bill were very close. Also, a Dallas local, Larry Freeman, had lunch with Bill every month of so, and would have some great stories.

I'm sure you read my posts about being with Bill in Terlingua when he called Shelby. He was an amazing guy !
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

DRYHOLE likes this.
  4. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    #5 2cam, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Nothing valuable to add here. Just wanted to say that it looks like Bill lived a wonderful and rewarding life. We should all be so lucky!

2cam

6. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Found three articles on him but just need to know what planes he flew in WWII (one article said TBM, I don't know what that is) and what planes he owned in civilian life, like Piper Cub, etc.

7. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    The TBM referred to was most likely an Avenger. The crews piloting those were bad-asses! I believe that HW piloted one as well...