Ford F-450 diesel - ownership experience, advice sought. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ford F-450 diesel - ownership experience, advice sought.

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by tomc, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The 17 F-350 had 6 sensors (maybe 7, one in the full size spare).

tomc likes this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. Several people have mentioned emissions systems, are you referring to DEF?

https://www.discoverdef.com/

T

3. Nativetroy

Nativetroy F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2010
    central fl
    Full Name:
    Troy
    The 6.7 runs an EGR system, as well as the DPF and SCR. DEF is injected into the beginning of the SCR. The DPF uses excess fuel to burn off the DPF periodically. I do prefer the GM solution of the extra injector in the exhaust, Ford puts fuel through the engine injectors, 7 and 8 if memory serves me. That then burns off in the DPF to clean it. The systems are better, but still much more complicated than gasoline engine exhaust.
    DEF is usually added every oil change unless you are really working the truck. It’s not a big expense unless the system has a fault.

technom3 likes this.
  4. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    A dually is not too much truck here in TX, they are everywhere. F450 is not a commercial vehicle here in TX, no problem there, nor should insurance be a problem. Tags will be a little more expensive each year.

We have had several issues with our diesel, only one of them would be possible with a gas engine (HVAC was not cooling). Last I checked, you can get a gas engine in the F450.

So my opinion, go for it, just get the gas version.

Nativetroy likes this.
  5. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    I love a diesel dually for towing. Here is my 3500 getting ready to hook to our Airstream.
    Insurance is very dependent on location. I’ve had up to an F550 insured and registered for personal use.

Attached Files:

Bas, VAF84, Boomhauer and 1 other person like this.
  6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thank you for this. Which Airstream model? That is one of the RVs my wife is looking at...T

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    According to the salesman, F-450 is considered a commercial vehicle in Texas. Found that surprising.

Still trying to get insurance info. Alas, our long-time independent agent retired from the game, and dealing with the new people has proven to be a bit of a PITA...T

8. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Surprised by that also, maybe things changed since I looked into it last, sorry for the misguided info.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    No worries. I am tempted to call up a few more Ford dealerships and see if I can get a consensus on whether or not it is a commercial vehicle!
    T

10. Cotton

Cotton Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2008
    TN
    It’s a 2006 Safari LS 28’. It’s a great trailer and the dually tows it with no trouble at all. We don’t have kids, so it’s just me, the wife, and the dog and the 28’ Airstream is a nice size for us.

tomc likes this.
  11. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Delayed follow-up: my CDL and insurance issues were due to living in WA state, the next liberal paradise......YMMV :D

We are so future-seeing here, that in 10 years they will remove these trucks from the road! in favor of 'lectric......

tomc likes this.
  12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    I have two 2020 f250s one gas one diesel.... got rid of a 17 f350... and then I also have had 450s.

Also have a 2020 ram 2500 diesel...

I never consider myself an expert on anything... but... I am pretty damn experienced.

You have wants and then you have needs.

Most people only need a 1/2 ton pick up... so an f150 or a ram 1500. they will pull up to 12-13k pounds which is more than 1 tone pickups in the 90s.

If you are going to be pulling long distances with a travel trailer and through mountains... the BEST thing you can do is buy a 450. NO QUESTION. 450 by far. Far more stability... more brakes more everything. Hell it even rides better thana 350.

DON'T waste your time on a 350. They just ride terrible and the ass sits too high to make a usable bed. 350 work truck is fine... but if you are going to be using this yourself and you need the capacity... only buy a 450.

If you need or WANT more than a 1/2 ton... stick with 250 diesel or a ram 2500 diesel.

Id prefer the ram over the 250 as it has a coil sprung suspension in the back instead of leafs. Also, ford is going to shut down super dty for the the rest of the model year. So if you want one act FAST but its probably too late.

Don't do the gas 250 if you are going to tow outside of town.

It can pull the weight... no problem... but if you are heavy and have hills its an annoying drive... and the biggest pain in the ass... the truck has about 150 mile range from full to empty. It has horrific fuel mileage and a small tank.

So absolutely nothing wrong with the gas motor if you tow once or twice a year or once a month in town... but if you do anything else consider the diesel.

Concerning the DEF and the exhaust system... this crap is so overblown. Diesel BROS don't like the because its 100k or whatever fine for the shop that deleted the system. I have replaced one DEF tank on a 2016 250 because it cracked. It was either 600-800 bucks. Not the end of the world... truck had about 85k on it. The diesel world is more biased than the old muscle car days of ford vs chevy kind of things. Take most things you read with a grain of salt because most of them complain about the issues when they mod them... they don't like DEF because you have to delete the truck... They don't like this truck because the transmission wont support 1400 ftlbs of torque when modded... but they just say the transmissions are unreliable... and the reality is... they are perfectly reliable when left stock.

For the performance you get ot of these diesel engines... with 1000 ft lbs of torque... its a small price to pay.

So around town towing gas motor 3/4 ton is good.
    around town plus some extra 250 or 2500 diesel.
    tow rig with heavy weight and big hills and high winds the only truck to buy is a 450.

Don't but a F350 ford. Not because its a bad truck... there are better choices

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks. I think it was your post in another thread that got me thinking 450. I mentioned it to the wife, and she said bigger truck = better! I guess being a Texas-born gal, bigger pickup truck preferences must be in her genes!

I finally got an insurance quote, and it was not much more to insure 450 vs our current cars. Mainly it's a newer, more expensive truck compared to the older, cheaper pickup trucks we have now. Safeco was who our agent got for the quote. Have not yet looked into whether I could do better by shopping around.

This past weekend we drove the SRW 350 KR @ Boardwalk. Great machine, wife really loved all the interior upgrades and bells & whistles, as Steve, called them. We also got to test drive a dually, a 350 Lariat; alas, we got there too late to drive the 450 KR; it was out on a test drive by them time we arrived, and those folks ended up buying the truck. But, it was good to get seat time in a big a$$ dually truck. Wasn't too intimidating in terms of size and width/length, but we went to a dealership out in the country. To be honest, I do not anticipate taking this behemoth to dealership events @ BF in Plano! :D But, for being out and about in the country, highway, suburbs and exburbs, I thought it fine. The sight lines were also better than I feared. The very wide A pillar was really the major impediment IMO. But, the 350 Lariat DRW we test drove has blind spot warning, and the split mirrors (normal and blind spot) and a back-up camera, which helped. Plus, when merging on to the highway, people just naturally got the heck out of our way! The waves parted like in the movie, The 10 Commandments!

Really, my biggest nagging doubt @ this stage, is that after driving a Ferrari and a 911, I'm kind of used to there being near immediate oomph when I hit the accelerator! I know, that's unreasonable in a 4.5 ton truck, but it will be interesting to see how the 450 KR compares when we can get a test drive in.

So, I think we're on track for a 450 KR, if we can find one that has the options we like. Thanks everyone for the advice, both pros and cons. Very, very helpful...T

technom3 likes this.
  14. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

This is my biggest issue! Unfortunately, I feel the F450 won't feel much more spirited. I don't think they change the power, just the underpinnings.

In order not to hijack your post, I've created a new thread for discussing gas vs diesel in case you or anyone else is interested.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/heavy-duty-pickups-3-4-ton-diesel-vs-gas-general-discussion.637876/

15. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    The diesel has immediate throttle response. No, it isn't hypercar status, but it beats the heck out of the family sedan or minivan...

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    And it accelerates that fast if it's empty or towing you and your neighbors house.

tritone, tomc and Ianjoub like this.
  17. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Alas, I have never driven either a sedan or a minivan, so my perception of car throttle response is admittedly skewed by sports car ownership. I will admit that I babied the two diesels I drove. After all, it's not my car...T

18. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    RE: The never driving a sedan or minivan ... picture flooring on the throttle and wondering to yourself: Did I just inadvertently step on the clutch pedal???

Davesvt2000 and tomc like this.
  19. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Have a F350 crewcab 8ft bed diesel dually. Don't anticipate it to drive as smooth as a car, or even a standard pickup, it is a heavy duty work truck. The wife complains that she has to be careful when drinking in the truck verses a car. That being said, she loves the truck, she refers to it as the Death Star because of the size and all the lights at night. For towing, hauling and working, it can't be beat. Have one RV trailer and one car hauler, which the truck has no problem with at all, and the dual wheels really help with trailer stability. Once the engine begins to break-in, the milage goes up. I think I am up to 16mpg, but you will probably not see that until over 50K miles. Parking can be a challenge, but you get use to it with practice.

tomc, technom3 and tritone like this.
  20. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Major thank you to everyone here for all the advice and information. Finally found one the wife liked. 2019. F-450 Lariat. Ruby red or rosso rubino in Ferrari speak.

Behold Goliath!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Thus far it's been a blast to drive. Still getting used to maneuvering in tight confines, but on the highway and out in the country, it's great. So far, I'm impressed at the handling - it's not a Ferrari, but for an 4 ton truck, it's not bad.

Again, thank you everyone for your help.

T

21. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Congrats! I have a Ruby Red too, but it's two tone. You'll definitely enjoy the super duty experience.

tomc likes this.
  22. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Which will be even heavier...

carguyjohn350 and tritone like this.
  23. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Took our first road trip in Goliath. Bbq run to west Texas. About 700 mile round trip. It's a great ride. Comfy, good visibility, everything driver needs is easily at hand, good HMI, handling is surprisingly good - although a bit of a handful on smaller, narrower, rough back roads.

T

24. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    I'm looking at a 2017 F450 KR. Diesel emissions are different here. Our diesel is still less expensive then gas by about 30 cents per liter. I'm trying to buy a boat that weighs 14K lbs. So need the bigger is better towing capability.

Congrats on the new truck Tom

VAF84 likes this.
  25. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Thanks Max. We're very happy with the F-450. I would check to see if it has the 360 deg. camera and the towing cameras, or if those can be added. They'd come in might useful for hitching up a trailer.

In the US, as I understand it, an F-450 and a 14K lb boat would put you over the 26K pound limit for a CDL. Do you need a special license in Canada to drive heavier load?

T

max930 likes this.