Wanted - Lancia Delta HF Integrale *or* Renault 5 Turbo (any gen) | FerrariChat

Wanted Lancia Delta HF Integrale *or* Renault 5 Turbo (any gen)

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by asgor, Feb 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Looking for a Lancia Delta HF Integrale or Renault 5 Turbo (any gen) located in the US or Canada. I know these are fairly rare birds and I am open to travel to find the "right" car (I am located in Virginia). The way I see it the journey and memories associated with finding the right car are as much fun as owning it!

Collection queens need not apply, as I am planning to actually drive the car frequently without worrying about piling on the miles. Looking for a mostly sorted driver, not a project. I am passionate about historically relevant cars that leave a lasting memory (I own a Ferrari 348 for a reason ;)) and, accordingly, this is a "scratch-the-itch" bucket-list item. The limit on the funds I am making available for this acquisition is commensurate with that sentiment.

I am aware these do come up on BaT on occasion and I am also keeping my eyes on that auction site. I much prefer, though, the old-school style of acquiring a used car with full seller/buyer direct interaction.

Please PM or reply to this thread if you have a lead or if you are an owner looking to sell.

ZF123 and Bthesixthree like this.
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    fwiw there is a Facebook north America lancia delta group- you will prob have better luck there...

3. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you... you are probably right but I stay away from Facebook (and social media in general) like the plague. It's just me... I know in the end it's just a users group but I can't stand knowing it's affiliated with FB - what can I say.

ZF123, Hawkeye, cnpapa24 and 3 others like this.
  4. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    A good friend and coworker is selling his Integrale Evo 1 come spring. Ex-Japan, ex-Dubai and now near Toronto. I've had the pleasure of working on it a bit and going for track days. It has a fair amount of work done to it and a few upgrades, but still needs dialing in and a new front bumper (ate a cone at the last event). PM me if interested, I'll put you in touch. I posted a couple of pics of it in the Delta thread.

5. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    That's a lot of ex's but sure, why not. I did see the pictures in the Integrale thread.

Sometimes the most unlikely paths lead to the greatest destinations. I will send you a PM shortly.

19633500GT likes this.
  6. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    When you are looking at cars, consider that there are basically 3 versions to chose from: 8V, 16V, and 'Evo'. The later cars are more expensive, mostly because of rarity as there is no performance difference across different years of the same setup. The differences in years of Evo cars are all basically paint and badges, not mechanical differences year to year.

The cars are a delight to drive. The steering is impeccable. The car has a lovely purr that's not obnoxiously loud by any means. While not a GT, they work for long distance far better than you would think, and yet are still great tossable sports cars on curvy roads.

Registering my 8V in Virginia was simple, with no difficulty as I had a clean title in hand from CT.

7. johnei

johnei Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2006
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    John Wiley
    asgor likes this.
  8. lashss

lashss F1 Rookie

Nov 26, 2003
    DC
    Full Name:
    LSJ
    I have a friend with a really nice R5 Turbo 1 that could be for sale.

Please PM me to discuss.

Thanks

9. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I did. Thank you!

10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    +1 FB is malware.

11. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I have purchased a few vintage Lancia's from "The Barn in Miami" they currently have one in stock but it is in a fairly garish trim. If you can wait for a period of time, I also go to Padua about every year and they have several for sell. The Yellow one here was from 2019 and I was trying to purchase for a customer but the deal never culminated.
    [​IMG]
    Also I work on these and I am just a little south of you in North Carolina, if you need parts or service I can help. The one below got a turbo and radiator and was in the shop this past summer, and I have 3 customers that own them. The Shops name is BIF Motors
    Kevin
    [​IMG]

davem likes this.
  12. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    How reliable are these? Getting parts?

13. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Thank you Kevin, that's very helpful - I can't see the images you uploaded but that's OK.

Indeed the Integrale at The Barn is a bit too much. Also, good idea keeping an eye on offerings in Padua (and Italy in general), though doing so adds a layer of complication that I'd gladly do without.

14. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    They are not up to say the level of a 105 alfa for getting parts but they are not too bad. I use Tanc Barratt in the UK for getting most of the parts for the Integrale's and I use some Italian suppliers also but not as much as I should mostly due to my poor ability to communicate in Italian.

Mechanical parts are relatively easy to find, but body and trim pieces are more difficult. I had a customer hit a deer with his and sourcing a hood, bumper and windshield was difficult but not impossible. Parts prices are higher than say an Alfa 105 but compared to an in period Ferrari 360 they are cheap.

A couple of side notes - the bumpers are just for show, they weigh about 4 pounds and they would probably fail if you hit anything larger than a bumble bee. If you want the driving experience of an Integrale at a much lower price get an Alfa Romeo 155 Q4, it is the same car underneath but doesn't have looks of the Lancia, in fact the Alfa looks pretty boring.

davem likes this.
  15. GTVFix

GTVFix Rookie

Nov 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Andy Cap
    I thought I was the only person cross-shopping the Integrale Evo and R5 Turbo . Interestingly enough, I settled on an S2 Exige in the end—easier in California.

If you do find a Delta, as mentioned, definitely join the North America Integrale group on Facebook. I also avoid Facebook and deleted my profile for years, but it’s very useful for certain, unique groups. This group has tons of information on where to find parts, manuals, and mechanics. Your other community option is Evocorner but it’s not as popular. Hope this helps!

ttforcefed likes this.
  16. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Once I have a clearer sense of direction as to whether my choice is going to be an Integrale or R5 turbo I'll see if I can muster the strength to <cough... cough...> join the <cough... cough...> FB owners' group.

17. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  18. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Yes, I am keeping an eye on their inventory too.

19. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    I was planning on selling my R5 Turbo 2 on BAT.
    Send me a PM.

20. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I'd like to thank everyone who so far has come forward with a vehicle (Integrale and R5) that is for sale or have provided leads to help locate one.

In general, and I hope my candor will be taken in the way it is meant, nearly all specimens I have seen thus far are overpriced. I understand the various adages such as "a car is worth what the buyer is willing to pay" or "the market sets the price based on demand/supply" and so on, but I also think "the market" has forgotten that there is a (perhaps significant) portion of enthusiasts out there who don't consider cars as investments and just want to drive the heck out of them. Because. It's. Fun.

I have seen patched-up Integrales in questionable shape being offered at Testarossa prices, and don't get me started on R5 Turbos whose price can easily exceed that of a 1980s or 90s late-classic Ferrari creampuff. That's great for those who own these cars and I hope they'll get every last penny for them. But let's not take our eyes off the ball: in the end a car is just a car.

I respect those who prefer to keep the miles low on the odometer as well as those who consider cars as an investment - and all others in between - but I am not one of them. My investment dividends are distributed when I drive any vehicle that was designed to do just that. As cars from the 80s and 90s continue to age I hope an appropriately-priced secondary market will develop for that cross-section of imperfect, higher-mile vehicles that can still deliver on the emotions while parading the wrinkles and scars proper of their advanced age.

21. KLHarper

KLHarper Rookie

Sep 4, 2009
    Mebane NC
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Unfortunately I think the market for the Integrale has left you. I think you can blame the US 25 year for a good part of that price increase and that the people who were in their teens and early twenties during the Group B days are now in their prime earning years. It may come down in the future but it is going to probably take many years.

If you just want the driving experience of an Integrale buy an Alfa Romeo 155 Q4. It is the same car under the skin and you can find a late model one for under 20k.

On a personal level I have driven several Integrale's of all generations, and even though I grew up a big Rally fan, I really don't care for driving them. I am not a fan of 4 wheel drive for sporting driving. I have no doubt that it is faster than 2 wheel drive, but I have been lucky enough to drive an 037 stradale and found it substantially more fun to drive, but they are north of 300k for one now. On the lower end of the scale even the Lancia Beta Volumex and Fiat Abarth 130 TC put more grins on my face than the Integrale and they are FWD. Perhaps it is just me but driving an Intergale was definitely a case of don't meet your hero's.

asgor and tantumaude like this.
  22. asgor

asgor Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    I agree with you that the Integrale isn't exactly the kind of car that makes one's blood boil. Really, neither the Integrale nor the R5 Turbo are ALL THAT. The R5 is unnecessarily quirky and high-strung, and the Delta is, after all, fairly uninspiring. At least the Delta is easier on the eyes vs. the 155 Q4 and builds upon a certain rally nostalgia - though it is clear that almost nothing that pertains to the original Group B race vehicles translated into the general production Integrales (aside perhaps from the stickers).

Both Integrale and R5, however, do offer a unique experience that can only be associated with cars from the 80s and 90s. That je ne se quoi that makes a ride, while imperfect, more direct, alive and involved. Hence my desire to own one of these two cars - at a price that is commensurate with the relatively limited joy they bring.

But I can't justify 550 Maranello-like prices for R5 Turbos nor can I make sense of why one would pay as much for a clean Evo 1 or 2 as it'd cost to acquire a sorted Ferrari Testarossa. It just doesn't make sense. And non-Evo cars aren't that much cheaper either. Now, both a Maranello and a Testarossa are ALL THAT (for cars of that age) and the prices they command are certainly more justifiable.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    If you a delta integrale evo doest get your blood moving im not sure what does. Way more fun that my f12 tdf

24. NSXER

NSXER Formula 3

Jan 4, 2004
    Kansas
    I just sold my 550 Maranello.....but the R5 Turbo is much harder to think about selling. It is a lot more fun car to drive.

koisokok likes this.
  25. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 the R5 Turbo. There sure aren't too many!