550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help ! | Page 4 | FerrariChat

550 Barchetta - want to talk me out of it ?? Help !

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Scraggy, Jan 13, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks. I agree the visibility is excellent. The other thing I really like in the barchetta is the sound and connectivity to the driving experience. The lack of a top mixed with the wrapped up sport seats whole rowing a classic 6 speed manual with the sounds of the 12 cylinders exhaust that close to your ear with the open experience is really unmatched. The other thing about this car that I absolutely love is the pack of buttresses behind the seats - something absent in today’s convertibles.

LARRYH and ralfabco like this.
  2. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    The aerodynamic bumps directly behind the seats are bad ass.

3. root

root Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 28, 2012
    Bay Area, Ca
    #78 root, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Never driven a Barchetta, but had 5 different convertibles in the past (69 Camaro, 82 Veloce, 89 560SL, 90 Miata, and 97 Z3) I think the biggest problems with any topless driving are wind noise and buffeting, and ambient noise which can be very tiring on long trips particularly on highways. Nothing beats driving topless in light rain or in freezing temperatures with the heater blowing at your feet. But wind and noise are unavoidable. The wind effects and tire noise from big trucks become unbearably annoying very quickly. I used to go out of my way to travel on backroads to avoid highways in order to enjoy topless driving. I'd imagine in the UK one could plan their trips to be mostly on A and B roads, which makes high speed driving not very practical or safe. Probably Ferrari made helmets available to Barchetta owners to help manage noise and buffeting not for impact protection which is provided for by the seatbelts, windshield and the bar loops behind the seats.

F456M likes this.
  4. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Mine came with a Tubi but I can barely hear the exhaust. On the other hand my 612 OTO has the factory exhaust. This thing is so loud I can barely hear anything else. How can I duplicate that sound on my 550? I thought Tubis were supposed to be loud. Another thing I want to do is to add wheel spacers for the rear wheels. They need to stick out a bit.

5. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
  6. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Get rid of the center muffler/resonator and replace it with straight, X, or H pipes. Fabio's H pipe is a good compromise between power and resonance.

cgt000, ralfabco and JAM1 like this.
  7. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Earplugs is another option. I always ride my motorcycle with a helmet and ear plugs. It helps. My car also makes almost no noise.

8. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Which one would be the loudest?

ralfabco likes this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Straight pipes, but also highest probability of resonance. Resonance bothers some owners, others do not mind.

cgt000 likes this.
  10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Scraggy.
    It’s a year on and wondering if you managed to buy one?

I had one of the most memorable drives of my life in a Barchetta. One summers evening I had to pick up my son who had been at the theatre in the centre of Cambridge with his school. I turned up at 11pm and you should have seen his face with all his friends watching. We set off through the narrow streets with the Tubi's howling off the buildings, somewhat reminiscent of the video a 275 being driven around Paris flat out.
    If I had been caught they would have thrown away the keys. It was only 7 miles home but flat out, it was an experience to remember. I know my son will remember it forever, he did not stop smiling for days.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Veloce12, pkl03, F456M and 5 others like this.
  11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #86 Wheels1, Feb 27, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    I forgot to say, my Barchetta came with a tonneau cover which I think quite a few of the UK cars had which was very useful, if I rember correctly, you could drive with just one side of the cockpit open and cover the cockpit very quickly if you were parking at a restaurant in the evening.
    Those were the days, going to a restaurant on a nice evening!!

12. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    Thank you for the recommendation. However, does resonance even come into play with a car that does not have a top? I own a Porsche 930 Cabriolet which is heavily modified. The resonance is unbearable with the top up but as soon as I drop the top, I don't feel the resonance anymore.

13. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Beats me, mine is a coupe with Fabio's 6-1 headers, 200 series cats, OEM straight pipes, and OEM SA HGTC mufflers. Has a bit of resonance around 2500 rpm.

cgt000 likes this.
  14. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Do you happen to have any pics of that cover? Love to see it...

15. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    F456M and SteveVT like this.
  16. cgt000

cgt000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 2, 2014
    Northeast
    What a beautiful interior ^^^^

ralfabco likes this.
  17. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks for posting the pics. I’m trying to stick with no modifications (buttons, fasteners, etc) and keep it spring loaded with plastic channels to sit in the doors unless I see something else that would leave the car in modified. The middle zipper is certainly an awesome feature though.

18. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Joe

I reached out to the gentleman that bought my car over 10 years ago and he still has it, and coincidentally was driving it this week.

He kindly sent me these photos and also gave me this reply:-

Good morning Grant

Please see attached some photos with the tonneau on.

You will remember that it uses the rod from the Ferrari soft top to locate under the boot lid, and press studs to locate on the door tops. There is a zip so that you can drive with the passenger side covered (but the drivers side section has to wedge behind the driver's seat)

I would point out to the guy that the tonneau rubs on the rubber window seal by the mirror - I had to replace mine.

If he doesn't already have the press studs fitted to the doors then i wouldn't get one. I saw a red car where the press studs had started to rust (mine have not).

The Michalak roof is superb. I have the carbon fibre one - v smart. It takes 2mins to fit single handed. https://www.michalak.eu/ferrari-550-barchetta-softtop
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

LARRYH, Fennicus, F456M and 1 other person like this.
  19. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the interior was called Carta di zucchero

F456M and cgt000 like this.
  20. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Many thanks, Grant. I’ll definitely skip the button fastener method.

I hadn’t heard of the Michalak top - that looks like a fantastic solution. It’s what Ferrari should have done! I have already reached out to order one. Appreciate your follow up with the new owner and the link.

photos of the Michalak top:

Veloce12, LARRYH, F456M and 1 other person like this.
  21. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

this is the winner for me
    disclaimer: if I owned a barchetta

22. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    How much is the cost for the top.

23. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    cgt000 and tomc like this.
  24. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    9k which is a bit steep. Probably sticking with the spring loaded tonneau for 2k. Wouldn’t use it that much.

ralfabco likes this.
  25. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    If you fancy camping with a tent, this is IT!! :)

I really like that Carta di Zucchero interior. It is a superb shade of blue. I guess with a hint of purple in it too? Cool story from Wheels1. If only all kids had a dad like you!! My dad had a Mazda 626 and a Peugeot... Now his son has a Ferrari. Which is a good thing.