How Did Everyone Survive the Great Freeze? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

How Did Everyone Survive the Great Freeze?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  2. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    We consider ourselves lucky, we were able to help both of our families out, who had bigger issues than we did.
    Only had one fire sprinkler rupture just inside the front door way.
    We did get the Ferrari out for photos at the onset of snow, but left it inside from then on out.

Guys in the shop varied from no issues to having to drive several hours away to be with family, SMH... I hope its at least another 20 years before this happens again.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    Sunday night at about 1800 the power was cut. Power did not re-appear until Thursday evening - late. I think we lost power the next day for a few hours. A gas fireplace was quite helpful to have. My older daughter stayed at her B.F.'s parents home in the Heights. The home in the Heights never lost power. The inside thermostat Monday or Tuesday morning displayed 53 degrees F. We could barely send simple text messages on the phone. At home I gave my younger daughter a surplus extreme cold weather sleeping bag to use. After a few days I used baby-wipes to cleanse my body.

I have two Honda generators in good condition. No point in driving around to 14 different stores looking for 4 stroke motor oil. No doubt I will service the two generators and be ready for the next hurricane/tropical storm/polar ice storm. Neighbors across the street had generators and seemed to have a good time with small outdoor driveway fires and booze. My friend shrugged it all off and said it was just like camping.

Lots of people played magical chairs and shuttled to family and or friends in search of heat.

Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oops, I spoke too soon. I got the water back on after being shut off with the rest of the neighborhood. I only issue is the kitchen sink faucet has little to no pressure, also found some leaks around the storm windows but that can be resealed.

TexasF355F1 and ralfabco like this.
  5. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    We were without power in NW Hills in Austin for 3.5 days, but fortunately had a fireplace and hot water the entire time to keep warm. It was a bit chilly in the house (down to 45ish) and it looks like we've lost most of our landscape plants, but overall it wasn't too bad. We didn't have any burst pipes or tree damage (especially to our 100 plus year old Live Oaks). We were much more fortunate than many households. The Saturday before, we prepped pipes, stocked up on food, and filled propane tanks just in case. Plus, we had a great group of neighbors looking out for one another and the few elderly neighbors that are on our street.

2cam

Texas Forever, tomc and TexasF355F1 like this.
  6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    3 broken pipes which I repaired with Sharkbites and PEX tubing myself.
    Caught it VERY early as they broke.
    Thank God I was home.
    Drained the pool equipment at the end of swimming season.
    No more stupid electric bills for running pool all winter or chance of calamities like this.
    Takes about a week to prep pool in spring.
    I'll take that trade all day.

Power stayed on all crisis.
    Only thing I can think of is a water treatment plant is about a mile away.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. jtkeller

jtkeller Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    Guilty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
  9. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    So, you guys just said "Awww.... Puck it!" and played. I'm curious how thick that ice was. Pretty cool (NPI) experience to play outdoors on natural ice, IN TEXAS.
    I didn't set foot outside for 3 days.

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    We ended up having to bail out of the house after no power and no water (neighborhood wells require pumps). We were out of power from Sunday to Thurday. Grabbed the dogs and headed to a motel for several days.

Damage here includes pool equipment and a cold-water pipe under a sink. And a busted-out rear window in the pickup. Annoying stuff and will be money but nothing so bad as the neighbors have reported.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It was "not fun" ....but we had supplies..

I snow ski, so no big deal, but I hate that people died "waiting on the government".......:/

Our hurricane training is:
    "they are not coming!!"

and plan accordingly!

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I'm from cali and for our mountain house that was SOP so pipes don't freeze. I'm surprised at all the busted pipes. This is the internet age and the info is out there. Why do you think the word didn't get out on how to deal with pipes and freezing temps?

13. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    About 4” thick, based on a hole some fishermen cut nearby

14. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Because in previous cold weather events, water dripping was fine....and was SOP for over 30 years here.

This time the temperatures were colder for a longer duration AND the power outages decreased the ability for heating to keep piping from freezing.

15. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Very cold weather that stuck for a long time, and no power means no heat to help. Quite a few places lost water pressure as well, so there wasn't any dripping. The other factor is that the houses around here are built to withstand freezing temps, but not 2-20 degrees for days on end.

16. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm really surprised that people with generators didn't have heat. Was the gas out? A gas furnace requires less than 10 amps to run. It's a standard 110v plug. We were ready with our generator in case the power failed. We would have been cozy.

17. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I’m sure people with generators had heat, but that is a very small % around here.

2cam likes this.
  18. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    People don't have generators. Even if they do, it's not like you can unplug your furnace and run an extension cord to the generator. They're hardwired.

The thing people from "outside" don't understand is that Texas isn't built for this. We had 140+ straight hours of below freezing temperatures. We had no electricity because the power plants weren't equipped for this level of cold either. Their pipes froze too. Many of us had no water for a large variety of reasons. We don't have wrapped pipes here because up until a week ago, we've never needed them. I had 3 pipes burst. Two were inside my house. They burst because we had no heat.

Texas Forever, TexasF355F1 and ross like this.
  19. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Are plumbers from all over the country headed to Texas to make a quick buck?

20. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    #45 EastMemphis, Feb 25, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Have you looked at your furnace? It simply plugs into an outlet. I personally have never seen a modern gas furnace hardwired. I suggest looking at your furnace again. It plugs into an outlet within 6' of your main air handler. If it was hardwired, HVAC companies would have to bring a licensed electrician and get a permit for electrical work every time they replaced a furnace.

I suggest people take this as a warning. Get a generator. Keep 10-15 gallons of gas on hand. That's what we've done for decades. I use the gas to fill my cars so we don't have to go to the gas station as often. The local Kroger has a deal where we can get up to a $1 off a fill up of up to 35 gallons. Since our biggest tank is only 26, that leaves money on the table. We use the gas cans to get our full 35 gallons. We saved hundreds of dollars this way.

I lived in Florida for nearly 30 years. I must have used my generator a dozen times there. I lived in Mississippi for a decade and used the generator several times there. I live in the middle of the city of Memphis for the last 10 years and have used my generator a number of times here. Power goes out at the worst possible time. Be prepared or suffer.

A generator is cheap insurance.

21. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Haha! Plumbing supplies are in as short supply as the actual labor...

As others have noted, many Texans don't have generators. Unless you're near the coast and subject to potential hurricane-related outages, there's really very little need for one for typical residences. One of our neighbors DOES have one and attempted to hook his furnace up to it to run. However, the issue was in the controller itself. The guy is an award-winning physics professor (and ex-farmer) and wasn't able to figure out a way to make it work until AFTER our power was turned back on. ;)

2cam

22. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Well if you guys need copper pipe and solder I can ship you some from cali. Sweating pipe with a propane torch is no big deal

23. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    With all the freezes and cold weather yall have had over the years up north, I'm really surprised something hasn't happened before.

It would seem as though there would have been some small issues at least. Maybe they were just continuing to put band aids on things as well? Creating an even more fragile system.

24. mikeswplt

mikeswplt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2007
    Lago Vista, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Fortunately we had a Kohler 20 kw generator installed when we built our house 5 years ago, so power was not a problem
    during the multiple power outages we experienced. Although our heat pumps were not on the sub panel supported by the
    generator we didn’t have hardly any temp change inside because of the foam insulation. Unfortunately the pool pumps were
    also not supported and ended up with a couple of frozen pipes that drained the pool after they thawed out.

25. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    And tonight......HAIL!! Golf ball sized North of us a few miles.....