Need rec for cordless trickle charger. Ideas? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Need rec for cordless trickle charger. Ideas?

Discussion in '348/355' started by ketel, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    as I said do as you like
    point is I did some research to refute your opinion.I already knew you were wrong . I also have extensive experience .your advice is poor and not recommended & NOT what experts recommend . even IF it "comes back to life" it is harmed fr sulfation to a greater or lesser degree . Funny how a lot of chaps on FC seem to think personal anecdotal experience trumps expert advice !
    One of my old professors called it "invincible stubbornness " !

2. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    Thanks I will continue with my "anecdotal" evidence which I feel after 20+ years of winter storing multiple cars is a little more "empirical" but fine. The world loves to try and fix problems that dont really exist.

GTUnit and flash32 like this.
  3. GTUnit

GTUnit Karting

May 25, 2014
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You copied and pasted a quick google search and called it "research". You don't know what you are talking about and have no experience.
    Why is a clueless person badgering someone who actually understands some of the most basic automotive knowledge?
    You should look up the Dunning-Kruger effect while standing in front of a mirror.

4. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    #29 janmante, Feb 26, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    not badgering at all just a difference of opinion and sharing information ! countering some BAD advice !
    I have many years experience i just added a bit of google search so it was not just anecdotal experience ., and to be clear that many experts disagree w/ him /you ?-not just myself )
    Oh I DO know what I am talking about , and so do the other family members who were/ are techs and mechanics ! in fact, they were laughing and shaking their heads when I read them what you he said.& did
    It is an inane thing to argue disagree about
    You admit some of your batteries you just disconnected did not survive your torture test ! so why do it ?
    it certainly WILL harm the battery ,and shorten it's life and as you admit , at times Kill it !
    we had different houses too ! and when we would go vacation for more than a month dad was very strict about taking a battery out or hooking it up to a battery charger w/a lamp timer so it would charge for an hour or so every day ( they did not have the trick self-sensing chargers as they do now )
    Modern cars have many more sources of voltage draw whilst parked than the old Ferrari's .
    we use the very handy, modern Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Bluetooth battery monitors which will send reports as often as every hour if desired ! of battery voltage . avail for regular and lithium batteries !
    I suppose one could somehow hook them up w/a phone or computer you could remotely monitor even across the country ! IF the battery got to a critical level your caretaker or friend could charge up the battery ! but now everyone uses the modern maintainers that work automatically as needed . why not use one of them ? most people do now .

BTW the Dunning-Kruger effect is irrelevant as we DO know what we are talking about !
    As you need to resort to ad hominem arguments you have clearly lost the plot and the debate

5. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    sorry couldn't help myself :p

Topace and janmante like this.
  6. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Die-hard used to be one of the top-rated batteries and brand new , in good condition it's possible 3 months was it ? modern cars all have serious parasitic voltage draws whilst sitting fr computers and alarms etc and I doubt it would work nowadays ! and it is beyond doubt a discharging / discharged battery sulfates which damages it . It is just chemistry and entirely factual .
    It is battery abuse to let a battery discharge and it WILL affect its longevity and is a waste of $ but I realize many Ferrari owners could care less about that as some of them have more $ than god ! " I say Jeeves throw another battery in the old prancing horse will you ? bloody inconvenient it seems to have had the temerity to die ! "
    There used to be a model of die-hard battery that had built-in extra battery you could push a button and add the unused cells to jump -start your self
    my uber modern Lithium battery has that too ! It saves a # of cells . you just use one of the two supplied wireless remote controls wait 5 minutes and there you go it fires up .Lithium batteries also have a VERY low discharge rate but are totally intolerant of discharge below 10.5 volts they usually will NOT recover but many lead acid will not either !