New 550 Owner | FerrariChat

New 550 Owner

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by rhern213, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #1 rhern213, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Hi Everyone,
    I just recently joined the forums and wanted to introduce myself. I bought a new to me 550 last week. this will be my first Ferrari, and first similarly exotic for that matter. I was a long time member of the BMW community in my early 20's and after that phase I became involved in the RX-7 community for a while. I owned and worked on many other cars in between but all short term German or Japanese. My wife and I were in NY the past 6 years for work related reasons but never had the time or necessity to own a car up there. However I always kept a short running list of cars I hoped to get knowing that we would eventually move back to Miami which is where we both grew up. Covid accelerated that process and we moved back in December before the NY winter hit, so immediately the search was on :).

The 550 has been one of the few poster and diecast cars for me, well since High School at least. And this one is in the exact spec I've wanted:
    Quick details, it's a 2001 TDF Blue on Tan, 24k miles, quilted roof and hatch lining, with red calipers.
    Body wise it's a drivers car, not perfect which is how I wanted it. Otherwise I'd be worried every single time I took it out that I'd get a rock chip and that's not how I wanted to feel, I really want to get this out on the road and enjoy it. Never been in any accidents or damaged either.
    Mechanically the car needs a major service, it's been sitting for about 4yrs, and had the last major service about 3 years before it sat. But otherwise mechanically it seems to all be in great order and properly running as it should (knock on wood).

I haven't actually taken delivery of the 550 yet, it's currently awaiting transport from Michigan to Miami. I'm using Reliable so it's one of those, "We might get to it in 2 days or 2 weeks" kind of things. So needless to say I'm as anxious and excited as I remember being on the way to Toys-R-Us. I grew up playing Baseball which made me unnaturally anal retentive and superstitious, so I don't want to put up pictures until I get delivery. Hopefully sooner than later I'll post the delivery and first garage photos.

Funny story if you believe in fate or coincidences;
    I've been around cars all my life and growing up in Miami you see exotics every day. But interestingly enough I had never seen a 550 in person, it always eluded me. Well, the night I found the 550 I talked to my wife about seriously considering getting the car. The very next morning we went out to breakfast, and parked right outside the front doors was a TDF Blue on Tan 550.

My first car was a 1984 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442, handed down from my dad for starting college, now it's pretty awesome to be stepping into a 550 and hopefully have my kids learn to work on a Ferrari as their first.

Looking forward to talking and being a part of the community!
    Rich

2. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Rich- Congratulations, enjoy her.

rhern213 likes this.
  3. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Rich @rhern213 WELCOME! How exciting! TdF is one of my favorites and many of us had been talking about that Michigan 550. Congrats on being the one to acquire it. I really like the look of shields on TdF.

Looks like a great car and from an educational perspective I know many of us would love to hear what you find as your mechanic gets to put their hands on it.

In the family here @SteveVT did very well for himself recently on a black/black 575 that needed some work but overall his purchase sounds like a good one as well (we are learning from him as well).

Will be looking forward to hearing more from you here on the forum -- Eric

kuwait355, SteveVT and rhern213 like this.
  4. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Rich, welcome and congratulations again! I love the entire story, especially the part about seeing the blue/tan car the next morning.

-Joe

rhern213 likes this.
  5. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    What a great story and nice job conveying the excitement and anticipation!

rhern213 likes this.
  6. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Congratulations! Sadly, I bid goodbye to mine this afternoon as it disappeared down the road in a covered wagon, but I have been privileged to have enjoyed 8 years of joyful ownership of one of Ferrari's best - certainly the star of the LCdM period IMO. As my journey is ending, yours is beginning - I hope it will be as magical as mine has been.

rhern213 likes this.
  7. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    Congrats ....enjoy :)

rhern213 likes this.
  8. JC1720

JC1720 Karting

Jan 21, 2016
    UK
    Hi Rich,

Welcome and congratulations, my first (and until this week, only) F car was also a TdF and tan 550.. they’re definitely best as a driver’s car not a showpiece. You’re going to love it. Find a trusted mechanic and enjoy the fantastic support and group from forums like this.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    #9 rhern213, Feb 19, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Hi Eric,
    Before deciding to buy the car I did try to come on here and find some discussion about it but couldn't dig anything up. I was able to find discussions on other forums about the selling dealer and having good experiences with them so that helped. Given the car was drivers condition and needing a major, I was able to work out what I think was a pretty good deal to cover myself if any other incidents pop-up.

Regarding the shields, yes I'm on the side that likes them as well. I did not know until coming on here that there are factory fenders specifically with the shield indentations. I know my fenders don't have the indentation so it's an add-on shield, but I still like the look regardless.

I've always worked on all my cars myself, and I think my anal retentiveness has served me well in doing things the right way. I have every intention to take the wrench to the 550 with no hesitation, I'm very excited on being able to work on a car like this. Although I decided for the very first major service to take it to a reputable indi shop in South Florida. I didn't want to do anything silly on a car of this value without first learning and recognizing everything I was getting into.

I can tell you that first order of business is ripping out the aftermarket sound system/amplifiers that are installed in the car and returning it to stock form. It has these massive custom made kick panels that look very obstructive and just ugly to me. I will install better aftermarket speakers and radio, maybe some extra padding and sound deadening, but keep it all looking original.

I'll definitely be discussing any work on the car on here.

Thanks for the well wishes!

white out likes this.
  10. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks, I will undoubtedly enjoy it fully!

11. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks John, great to see a twin of mine. Can't wait to finally have it delivered and post some pictures.

12. Maranello993

Maranello993 Rookie

May 24, 2020
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Angelo McCartney
    Congrats! Keep us posted on how it goes once you have a chance to go through it. I also fell in love with the Maranello as a kid, I'm still searching.

rhern213 likes this.
  13. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    @rhern213 - Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the community! The TdF 550 sounds amazing - I have a real soft spot for the TdF and Pozzi blues. I hope the transit goes well and doesn't take too long.

I am also a total newbie to the F-car community and I have found the 456/550/575 forum to be incredibly helpful - really a great group with tremendous knowledge and insight.

Welcome!

EnzoItaly and rhern213 like this.
  14. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Congratulations, Rich. You'll enjoy your Maranello. The appearance of the TdF 550 that morning was a good omen.

Barry

EnzoItaly and rhern213 like this.
  15. simchanova

simchanova Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 3, 2010
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Congrats sir on a beautiful car!,can’t wait for the pics !,stuart

rhern213 likes this.
  16. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks Steve, I'm looking forward to hanging around here.

17. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Excellent, congrats. The 550 is special. It was my first Ferrari, like you back in 2007, and I bought one again last July. I am on my 6th Ferrari, and I have driven a majority of models produced between 1966 and 2012. For me, if you want a Ferrari that combines classic motoring with more than enough performance, a great engine, comfort, and reliability, it is very hard to find a better choice. I have done 80,000 kms in my 550's and the cockpit feels like home. I hope you feel the same soon!

18. Nicolas21

Nicolas21 Formula Junior

Jul 13, 2016
    Near a nuclear powerplant
    Full Name:
    Nicolas
    Welcome and congratulations :);)

rhern213 likes this.
  19. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Welcome to the club! Have had mine now for almost 4 years and I still get goose bumps every time I turn the key. Drive & enjoy often!

rhern213 likes this.
  20. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    Thanks fellas, new update, car will be here Saturday!

21. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Onno- Good to see you back in the early 65 deg V12 forum.

JazzyO likes this.
  22. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Thanks Taz, it's great to be back! Naturally it needed to be a Maranello. :)

Onno

23. rhern213

rhern213 Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2021
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Richel
    The eagle has landed!

Attached Files:

24. bracketz

bracketz Karting

Jul 19, 2019
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Happy for you!!! So very cool.

rhern213 likes this.
  25. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    That is awesome! Mine sat for 6 years before I bought it in 2019, and though it ran perfect enough to cover 5000 miles in the first 2 months, there were a few additional things performed during the major if you would like to see the list. I have been documenting my ownership experience on Instagram under the same username, and this site is an amazing wealth of knowledge. Fchat has definitely saved me more than once, and there are some really creative owners here who have taken the 550 ownership experience to new heights. Welcome to the group and I hope you enjoy the car!

DZ-96 and Ferrari55whoa like this.