SF90 vs 765LT Drag and Roll Races | Page 2 | FerrariChat

SF90 vs 765LT Drag and Roll Races

Discussion in 'SF90 Stradale' started by FikseGTS, Feb 22, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Not sure if i am getting old or videos dont do it justice, but that didnt look very exciting. They both looked like passengers where the car was doing 99% of the job.

It even looks like they do the runs in full auto?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  2. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    #27 Napoli, Feb 23, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    The shifts from the SF90 were so poorly executed that they could only have been the result of human input.

Adamas likes this.
  3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    the inboard 765 shows at least 2 runs with his hands never leaving the steering wheel. just mash the pedal...

4. schumacher12345

schumacher12345 Karting

Jun 3, 2004
    Awesome video.

Mclaren focus on light weight and carbon tubs are going to be advantage every single time.

Now question.

Which one will depreciate or appreciate.

I think 675LT has held up fairly good in value. 765LT seems like it will hold value.

Will SF90 be going over msrp after few months?

5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    both will depreciate. As long as rates stay cheap neither will fall more than 15%

6. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    I was talking about the SF90 driver in particular. Did you hear some of his shifts?

7. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Two thoughts after watching this:

1. The SF90 is insanely impressive. Job well done Ferrari, this thing is a rocket ship. To my eye, it looks so much better than the mclaren.

2. In 20 years time when we all look back on the last of the non-hybrid ICE cars, the 765 may go down as one of the all time greats. Think about the package being offered. 850 HP, mid-engined, carbon tub, track focused supercar that will easily run in the 9’s on the street directly from the factory, all for less than $500k. That is insane. Think about all of the other non-hybrid, mid-engine supercars that offer 800+ hp. The list is limited to names like Pagani, Koenigsegg, Bugatti, SSC, Hennessy etc... and they all come with $2mm+ price tags. Ferrari never has and never will make a car that fits this criteria. Neither did Porsche. In fact, the only other car that could potentially fulfill the non-hybrid, mid-engine, 800+ hp criteria and isn’t a full blown multimillion $$ hypercar, is the upcoming corvette ZR1, but none of that is confirmed. The fact that the 765 is road legal and offered at this price point is truly unbelievable. I’m not saying that the future won’t bring us some incredible hybrid supercars, but when it comes to the end of an era, the 765 epitomizes everything we’ve grown to love from the modern ICE super car.

Adamas, Gh21631, Thecadster and 8 others like this.
  8. manya81

manya81 Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert
  9. willcrook

willcrook Formula 3

Feb 3, 2009
    UK
    impressive from the SF90, it's heavy weight +4wd really allows it to get the power down.

it'd be interesting to see sf90 vs some older generation cars considering it's faster than the already insane 765

10. Keen

Keen Karting

Dec 9, 2014
    #35 Keen, Feb 24, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
    Actually the 765 LT is the fastest car between the two.
    The SF90 has off-the-line traction and grip advantage thanks to its electric-based AWD system, and that's it.
    Once the power is fully put down the 765 LT walks away, and if the SF90 is not fully charged things get even worse considering you'd be left with around 790 hp for likely 1.9 tons of IRL weight.

Anyhow, besides some drag racing these two are way different machines: the SF90 is a kind of a dull (albeit very fast) daily driver, the 765 LT is raw, visceral, immensely powerful (all the time), light, stiff, with a high grade of chassis rigidity thanks to its carbon construction and extremely communicative with the driver.
    I would choose it over a SF90 any time - literally a no-brainer for me, even if it was slower (which is not) - and use the remaining money to buy something else as a daily driver (400 hp would suffice for that).

Gh21631, Dela and Shack like this.
  11. xskier

xskier Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2013
    i think you are correct. Off the line the sf90 is 992 Turbo s quik, till 60mph and much quiker above, But it looked to me that on those roll races, once traction is not an issue the 765lt pulls more.
    I have both cars incomming, the 765lt has already landet at dealer, the Sf90 should be here by August. Will defintily make some Rollraces on the German autobahn..

Now what makes me wonder, what can we expect from the 720s successor, given the 765lt is as fast or slithly faster then the sf90.
    Will the gap be as big as 675lt to 720s

tekaefixe and Dela like this.
  12. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    It would not surprise me if McLaren targets the 720S replacement to just have similar acceleration figures as the SF90 (it is enough) but using a different philosophy. For example, they might achieve this with less power (-100hp?) but significantly less weight (-500 pounds?), which would also improve all other driving characteristics. Focus on being the better 'driver's car' - also avoiding the unnatural feel of regenerative braking and retaining hydraulic assisted steering. It would be a winner if they get the styling right as well as target a lower starting price ($400k USD?).

Thecadster, of2worlds, LVP488 and 2 others like this.
  13. 2ferrariowner

2ferrariowner Rookie

Oct 17, 2008
    Tampa,Florida
    Full Name:
    Dan Diaco
    McLaren’s are junk. I sold my 675 LT and lost half my money. That car was in the shop 35 times in three years. I’ve had Ferrari cars since the 90s and my latest is the Pista, which is one of the greatest cars I’ve ever driven. I have an SF 90 on order and I can’t wait! Run from McLaren...no one cares about them. Ferrari is Superior. And yes I tracked the 675 LT, but It really went more than four or five laps without a problem
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    My $.02...
    I too had a 675LT (Spider) - car drove phenomenally, but the build quality was a distant second to Lamborghini/Ferrari and the depreciation was abysmal. To the earlier comment that 675’s held up well, not true at all. They have probably fallen by 50% easily. The way I would describe the McLaren’s build quality is that they are not likely to leave you on the side of the road bad, but little nuisance stuff will just happen to the fit and finish of the car. Rattles, clicks, lose parts type things.

After two 720s’ with similar fit and finish issues, I would be remiss if I didn’t comment that it does give me some hesitation on the 765. There is a guy on McLaren Chat who has taken delivery of his 765 and the car will not make boost, keeps going straight to limp mode.

All car manufactures have their issues and come with some potential for frustrations. I’m not claiming Ferrari to be perfect. I’m only commented that in my multiple car ownership of Lamborghini’s, Ferrari’s, and McLaren’s, there is a significant disproportionate amount of problems with the McLaren’s.

Pis7a2020, TheF1BOB and Napoli like this.
  15. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    No worries, please go ahead and buy another one, the carbon tub will solve all your McLaren problems. Actually, I am not even sure if I really believe all these issues that you and this other person are reporting, it is a proven fact that cars with carbon tubs cannot have issues :p

Alvega and D11 like this.
  16. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Haha exactly. The new universal rebuttal for all debates “but it has a carbon tub”. Therefore it must be superior.

17. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    You forgot “but it has more power, less weight, more compliant ride, better steering feel, better pedal feel and no GPFs”

Thecadster and mkraft3003 like this.
  18. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    The issue at hand is build quality, not design, specs or perfomance.

19. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Mclaren build quality has been a major issue. They really took a huge step forward in the last 6 months it seems. Most 765’s have been flawless.

ScrappyB and mkraft3003 like this.
  20. Napoli

Napoli Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2017
    Full Name:
    NOYB, Ray!
    Hope so. I want in on the fun.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Spectacular results by both cars on a cold day, 765LT, esp given the $220k+ price delta.
    I don’t understand what Ferrari is doing...conservative if not boring looks, and Tesla sound/soul sucking.
    Hopefully the LB will surprise and delight.

22. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Isn't that a bit early to say?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Napoli likes this.
  23. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    perhaps, but they’ve been out for about 5 months now. The sample size will be smaller though, so less data overall, with about 14% of total Pista production.

24. Lukeylikey

Lukeylikey F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2012
    UK
    Seems like the looks have been the most controversial thing about the car. Surprising since it’s Ferrari’s first PHEV in the true sense and you would have thought that would be the main controversy. It seems hard to conclude its looks are boring on that basis. As for the hybrid, I must admit, my wife had a Panamera ST e-hybrid. I thought it would be a great car but I got very bored of it. She replaced it with a Taycan and that is much much better to drive - one drive system, huge torque, no ‘lag’ and rewarding for a four door. I prefer it to our Lusso in some ways. The problem with the hybrid was that it encouraged you to drive in a very un-Porsche-like manner. Nice executive car, no sports car. If the SF90 does the same it will be disappointing. But somehow, I just don’t think it will be like that. Just have to ignore any mode that switches the engine off.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Twosherpaz

Twosherpaz Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2014
    Thermal, CA
    Full Name:
    Private
    You need to look at your math regarding the 675 LTs. Both of mine have lost their behind. I like the car but, ouch! I’ve lost 50%.

D11, Caeruleus11 and Il Co-Pilota like this.