355 - M5:2 but not OBD II | FerrariChat

355 M5:2 but not OBD II

Discussion in '348/355' started by Klas, Feb 19, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klas

Klas Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2014
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Klas Nilsson
    My MY97 F355 with the M5:2 engine management system does not have OBD II diagnose system which I thought came with the M5:2. Obviously not. Anyone have this experience? I have EU spec (Germany)

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    Only North American cars have the 16 pin OBD2 port. The rest of the world uses the Ferrari SD1 tool or a much cheaper "Fiat 3 pin OBD2" port adaptor attached to the matching connector on the Motronics ECU.

https://cablematic.com/en/products/obd-ii-connector-adapter-to-fiat-3pin-OB044/

Use the 348/355 forum Search to find further information on the subject. Some Fiat adaptors for sale don't always fit.

3. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This is a DUMB question, but could I use that connector on my 2.7?

4. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
    I'm sure it has been tried before without success. The data coming from the 2.7 is probably not in the correct OBD2 format.

I guess you're stuck with the pushbutton/flashing CEL method.

PaulK likes this.
  5. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I see. I am wondering about finding a used Launch and seeing if it can read the data from the 2.7 but I think you are right. Thank you.

6. salbrech

salbrech Karting

Dec 20, 2013
    I had the same problem on my Swiss-Motoronic 5.2.
    Its OBD2, but only with the 3pin AMP plug. In Switzerland no OBD2 connector adapter is installed (at least on my '96 model year). Also, I could not get codes form CEL flashing. Is CEL flashing working on a 5.2? or only on a 2.7?

However I manufactured my own adaptor (looks actually 100% as the once from cablematic.com as mentioned above). The 12V I soldered into the main harness (Ignition on).
    Details see attachment. Working fine since several years.

Greetings from Switzerland
    Image Unavailable, Please Login