BBi parking light colors-white vs amber | FerrariChat

BBi parking light colors-white vs amber

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by johnaz, Feb 21, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Can anyone advise what country white parking lights were used on BBi and what country used amber ones? And same with turn signals, white vs amber?
    Thanks,
    John

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    white parking lights: nearly all european countries
    white turn signal lights: sometimes in france and switzerland, may be also GB?

johnaz: would be great if you would fill out your profile that we know where are you from. may be then you will get more detailed answers

3. johnaz

johnaz Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2009
    Carefree, AZ/Anchorage, Alaska
    Full Name:
    John Schwamm
    Added some profile info, Thanks.

4. OLDBENZ

OLDBENZ Rookie

Dec 7, 2016
    UK and Caribbean
    Italy was the main European country that hung onto white front indicators into the 70s. France and UK then required amber front indicators. In the history of my 512BB there is a copy of a telex exchange between the factory and Maranello Concessionaires in the UK in which the factory advises that they are unable to comply with the request of the original purchaser of my car to supply it with white front indicator lenses explaining that their UK Type-Approval required amber fronts.
    In case anyone is interested there is a UN Vienna Convention from the 60s that covers the colour of vehicle lights.
    When I was a lad the French still had yellow headlights. When we Brits used to go to France we used to put yellow covers on our headlights or paint them yellow. Failure to do so would drive the natives into a flashing frenzy. Their taste for yellow extended to reversing lights too which my originally French market Citroen SM had.
    Whilst on the topic of light colours it has always baffled me why North America persists with red rear indicators. They are less easily spotted than amber and until relatively recently many US vehicles handled braking and indicating with a shared filament which means that when someone is indicating and and pumping their brakes they appear to be indicating both left and right ........