How Did Everyone Survive the Great Freeze? | FerrariChat

How Did Everyone Survive the Great Freeze?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    We were without power for 36+ hours Mon morn thru Tues afternoon. Power came on and the heat led to identification of 2 burst pipes. Water everywhere, still have it standing in the basement. A 3rd burst Friday that we were expecting. Pool froze over completely the got snowed on. It had bunny tracks in the snow. :) Pump is frozen solid. Assuming filter is too. Plumber came Thursday to fix the first 2 pipes, back this morning to fix the last. We’ve been without power or water most of the week, but always had one or the other.

it’s going to be quite the remodel.

LightGuy, ralfabco, DIGMAN52 and 2 others like this.
  2. bamaman

bamaman Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2015
    Mobile Alabama
    Full Name:
    William M (B.J.) Lyon, Jr.
    Tough deal, no problems in LA (lower Alabama)--just had to remember I could not drive on the Michelin 4s tires on my 599 for a day after temperatures were 20 degrees or below.

VAF84 and Texas Forever like this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Stayed nice and warm in west central FL. Thankfully you sound none the worse for wear, though perhaps a little inconvenienced.

4. AndreB

AndreB Karting

Jun 8, 2018
    HTX
    Full Name:
    Ndr
    Lost power and water for 30+ hours, no burst pipes: we were lucky. It was fun playing in the snow Monday AM
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Nicolas21 and Texas Forever like this.
  5. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    In Memphis, we had almost a foot of snow over the week. No loss of power, water or gas but right now, we're under a cautionary boil water notice because the pressure dropped to <20PSI because of a lot of burst pipes from folks who didn't let their faucets drip. We hit 0F for the first time in the history of me living in the mid-south. Today it's supposed to get into the high 30's and tomorrow we may hit 50 with a sunny day so that should just about get rid of all this nasty stuff. This morning, the water pressure appeared to be nearly back to normal.

I think we lucked out here in Memphis because of the TVA and the robust power system we have here.

My daughter enjoying the snow.

Nicolas21 and Texas Forever like this.
  6. VelocityTexas

VelocityTexas Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2019
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Bryan
    We were very fortunate and did not loose power or water. Our youngest daughter lost power Monday morning at 2:30 am and as of last night it is still out. Her, her husband and their 2 month old son have been staying with us. Her husband is a Denton firefighter/paramedic and they have set record call volumes each day this week. My other SIL is a paramedic for Fort Worth and has worked every day since Sunday as they too have had record response volume. Tough deal all around.

Texas Forever likes this.
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Lost power for ~66 hours, but still had water (so dripped the faucets) and the gas range (which we could still light by match even though the electronic start wasn't working) was a saving grace. Don't think any burst pipes, but probably won't know that for sure until later today.

8. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We lucked out. Lost power, but local utilities did rolling power outages; we were on and off every other hour, so we could plan. Moved to upstairs bedroom, which is warmer. Dog is loving the snow, but not the change in her routine; she's such a creature of habit. The Cali is nice & safe @ BF for it's annual service.

Wife is a mini-prepper, so she's in her full glory, running around the house, barking out orders to the troops, and explaining this is the reason we have 300 rolls of toilet paper, gallons of bottled water, & enough pasta & Ramen to feed a college dormitory! :p

T

DIGMAN52, ralfabco, Nicolas21 and 2 others like this.
  9. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Central NC we had ice and a lot of downed power lines/limbs. No loss of power at my home or office, but an absolute clusterf^k of a week with DHL, FedEx, UPS, and USPS. Nothing arrived on time, nothing left on time. I expect we have another 2-3 days before all the 'networks' get back to normal. :(

The happy news is that my Honda generators, as you'd expect, literally fired up with 1/25th of a pull on the cord. Honda... they could teach Ferrari a thing or two about reliability!

fatbillybob, 2cam, JSP and 4 others like this.
  10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    I only lost power for about an hr., been without water for three days so far but no pipe damage as far as I can tell.. I've been well stocked on the basics including bottled water. It really wasn't all that bad for me but I feel bad for everyone else that had to leave their home & due to pipe / water damage.

ralfabco likes this.
  11. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Been hanging out in the Baton Rouge area and luckily only lost power for 24 hours. Whereas I had a bunch of friends in the Round Rock area (NE Austin), and my in-laws in south Austin that lost power for about four days? I'm grateful it was only 24 for us here.

12. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    Many hours without power here. We would get perhaps an hour on, followed by another twelve or so off. We became so acclimated that it was difficult to believe when full power resumed. The pool froze over, so expecting damage there. Guy next door said his pool ice was two inches thick. He spent a lot of effort breaking the pool ice. Similar to Jim, we had bunny prints across the frozen pool. Plus, my dog has been in across the frozen pool a few times.

We know of a very sad related storey from a few years ago. A fellow looked out and saw his dog falling through the ice on his pond. While attempting to save his dog, the man lost his own life. So, be careful out there.

13. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Bastrop/Smithville: Never lost power, water pressure reduced for a few days but seems to be back to normal today -Saturday. Still gotta boil water. The important cars (wink) were plugged in on their chargers.

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  15. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Katy Texas area, 2 busted plastic pipes, one indoors the other outdoors....lost power for 2 days, had no water for 4 days....was using melted snow we could collect to flush toilets......my daughter was kinda mad when we had to cannabalize her snowman.

Our takeaway? Forget the faucet dripping thing and just turn off the water main and drain everything.

Texas Forever and vraa like this.
  16. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    We had power and water the whole time. My sister 2 blocks away was out. We had 2 families of 4, and one Corgi descend on us on Monday afternoon, and stayed until Thursday Afternoon. Son's pool frozen, and hope it's not badly damaged. Houston kids were out of power for 36 hours at one point, and then no water for 2 days. Crazy stuff.

Texas Forever and TexasF355F1 like this.
  17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Luckily no issues. I only lost power for 24 hours as part of the rotation. Thankfully I can tell if there's a power outage because it's basically divided across my street. That's how I figured I'd wake up without power.

Always had water including hot water. No internet for close to 4 days was the worst I experienced.

I also live quite close to one of the Centerpoint locations. Power here is pretty quickly restored thankfully.

ralfabco likes this.
  18. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    My 9" ice sculpture from the pool. With a bit of effort, it could be much higher, just not for very long. Shirt sleeve weather today.

Texas Forever, VAF84 and TexasF355F1 like this.
  19. C4YES

C4YES Formula Junior

Apr 7, 2008
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Wishing the very best to all that have be affected.

Texas Forever, kens, tomc and 2 others like this.
  20. Frank_C

Frank_C F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2004
    Whistling through the wheat field in Texas
    Full Name:
    Frank Cavallo
    Lost power twice for 1 1/2 hrs. Pipes froze & broke only to sprinkler system. Dogs, horses, cows and chickens all made it through fine.

PS kens:
    Adolpho Segattini, the artist who painted the Agip logo was a dear family friend. He came stateside back in the 70s and painted a whole series of landscapes and the piazza d'erbe (in Verona) from memory on a 4x8 sheet of plywood at our house and also painted a cavallo on our front door. His model (and mistress) used to be quite modest and only go topless whenever nobody was around.......to which my father would say "GD, it's not like we haven't seen her titties on canvas...."

21. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    no power, no heat, no water for 3 days.
    wife unhappy.
    daughter doing law school remotely about to have a nervous breakdown.

we flew to florida and all was good. :)

Texas Forever, ralfabco, kens and 2 others like this.
  22. jtkeller

jtkeller Karting

Dec 6, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    We fared pretty well compared to some. Lost power for 8 hrs in one span and that was it. About two hours in I decided to drain the equipment. Pool froze over after that. Fired it up today and everything looks like it’s ok. Two tankless water heaters froze up as well, but they appear to be working fine now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. kens

kens Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 25, 2006
    What a fun memory. Thanks for sharing.

24. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Thoughts are with you. Just a sin to watch, no power, no heat and pipes freezing are beyond a misery. Wishing you the best and better weather ASAP.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  25. SLViper1

SLViper1 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2014
    Nashville/Destin
    Full Name:
    Steve
    No issues in Middle TN other than the ice snow and low temps.
    Sorry to see many were not as lucky.