Winter for Sure, Even in Tennessee | FerrariChat

Winter for Sure, Even in Tennessee

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by tazandjan, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Now I really feel for y'all in northern climates. For the first time since I have owned her (~13 years), the 575M has been treed by snow and salt. Now I know what many of you go through regularly, and it is no fun.

I started her yesterday and let her warm until she had good oil temperature and moved her back and forth a bit in the garage (deep garage), so she feels a little better. Luckily, back up to 60 F next week with rain, so that should do it for the snow and the salt. Will not be giving any of you a hard time about your static V12s in the winter any more. At least not until I forget.

My driveway is like a ski jump ramp, so no way I wanted to take either car down that slope. GLE 450 would likely have made it easily, but never can tell with her all season tires. Six inches of snow is a joke to most in the North, but it sure shut us down here. With TVA for power, no problems on that front, at least, and TN had lots of excess capacity.

Patrik550 and EastMemphis like this.
  2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I just got the phone with one of clients and they were telling more of the same you explained above. I helped them sell thier home here in NJ so they can leave to TN and Texas for better weather ..... That didnt work out so well yet

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Dominick- Affirmative, my house in Albuquerque was at 5400' and we only saw this much snow once in 29 years. Plus snow in Albuquerque sublimates it is so dry, not the same here. Guess that is the difference between 9" of annual precip and 51".

4. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    As a New Englander, it can be easy to be kinda flip about cold snowy weather, but what's happened in TX is no joke - must be miserable. @tazandjan - glad you all are doing ok in TN.

flash32 likes this.
  5. wbklink

wbklink F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Bill Karp
    was thinking about you Terry glad your ok :)

6. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Hang tough, Taz. This too shall pass. Here in New Hampshire, we just had another 5. It's about twice a week. It'll taper off in another 3-4 weeks and we'll start to come out of the off-season and go into pre-season. Fire the car, fix a few things you've been thinking about over the winter (when it is real cold, even the garage floor can be a bit much...)., get ready for driving weather. Sorry you have experienced this. We just plan and live through it....

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    I am ashamed to say that I have not driven my 575 in 1 year. It’s been on a tender in my climate controlled garage but to be honest I have had no desire to drive her. With Covid I just feel funny driving a car like this as others here in NJ are losing their jobs and barely hanging on.
    Things are changing here in NJ and getting back to normal soon do as soon as the weather breaks I can’t wait to drive again
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Terry

5 months winter pause, every year, normal for me since I have cars.
    The salt is the biggest problem.

The good thing, you look forward for the new season, starting here in April.
    But also the 7 good months can be mixed with the weather, and frustrate to drive every day.

Lucky guys in sunshine areas like California or Florida.
    But not here, and in many other places in the world.

The time will come to get them out of the garage.

Daniel

middle of January

last pic :
    I drove 6 times up and down to get a broached street for the small dog, the 275 tires are perfect for this.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Pawilly, ColGraves and SteveVT like this.
  9. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Daniel- My Grand Cherokees (we had 4 of them) would go anywhere, but kept leaving me stranded in the boonies, like Alder, Montana and Kemmerer, Wyoming, so I changed over to Mercedes. Not quite as good off-road, but they always start.

10. ColGraves

ColGraves Karting

Aug 1, 2017
    Cos Cob, CT
    Full Name:
    C.T. Graves
    Is your travel companion a Westie? We have a Westie that thrills to the sound of a V-12! Fits perfectly on the passenger’s lap, and provides outstanding turn-by-turn instruction through the drive!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Pawilly and DZ-96 like this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Yes, Nelly is a Westie.

It's our 2nd West Highland Terrier.
    Nelly is howling to Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street.
    But she don't like driving in the car.

Daniel

12. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Hi Terry

Bought my 5.7 Hemi in 2014 with around 90.000 Km, now about 135.000 Km, sometimes strange faults like gear box over temperature (after starting) and a cold left cat when cruising, but a nice car without trouble.

Love the V8.

Sure, the Mercedes should be the better car, but I like the Hemi and so I will try to hold it the next years.

Daniel

13. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    Oh, the Hemi was imported from Greece.
    I never drove it on salty streets and you really see it on the underside of the car, the brakes, ....
    The pics were 500 meter from my house.

Daniel

14. SteveVT

SteveVT Karting

Nov 30, 2019
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Since we are talking winter rides and driveways, I thought I'd share this photo from this morning with our Subaru Outback XT going down the 'bobsled' run portion of our driveway. The Subaru is just built for winter. Put snow tires on one and you will not get stuck. I love my Jeep Wrangler (2018 w 2.0T), but it does not drive all that great in the winter. Its one saving grace in winter is that it is pretty damned good at pulling other people's cars when they get stuck on our driveway (usually 2-3x/season)!

Image Unavailable, Please Login