360 electrical related power loss issue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

360 electrical related power loss issue

Discussion in '360/430' started by Yellow02Z06, May 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Engine grounds were very recently checked and cleaned

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Probably one of your throttle bodies have gone tango uniform.

Push open the throttle valve inside the throttle body on each side. They should move smoothly and snap back instantly. If one feels "crunchy" or snaps back slower than the other, you likely will need to address that.

When you lose power, what is the highest percent for the accelerator pedal position?

3. wbt

wbt Karting

Nov 28, 2014
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    ELM327 bluetooth scan tool ($5 on aliexpress) and free android app "motordata OBD" can read both engine ECU's on the 360.

4. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    I will ck out the throttle bodies good suggestion - i dont know if the vident reader i have can get me percent for throttle position

5. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Well folks the only continuing codes were the potentiometer codes 1149 and 1189 “accelerator pedal position so based on that and advice from a pro at Ferrari I replaced the potentiometer and what do you know - same fricking problem and same code.....no CEL, and now I have a fresh battery, new MAF sensors and a new potentiometer yet same ongoing issue.....any further ideas are welcome

6. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    So did you ever figure out what the issue was? I have similar issue.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

7. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    yes I could see with filters removed and wife operating throttle that Throttle body (TB) butterflys were not opening all the way....I tried new potentiometer (at throttle pedal for drive by wire) and new MAFs...neither was the issue - turned out to be voltage related - new battery AND good trickle charger AND removal of big added amp and woofers which apparently were on same circuit as TBs did the trick at least for the last 2 months before I out her away for winter

one4torque likes this.
  8. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I’ve been meaning to remove the big amp speaker system from the car that the previous owner installed, this gives me a great reason to remove them. I’ve had the car since 2014, never had this issue before, seem the TB might be going out? You think I should start sourcing the TB’s?

9. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Also forgot to mention the battery is few months old & the car always has been on a trickle charger.

10. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app[/QUOTE]
    I spoke to a fellow in Sacramento who was recommended by Ferrparts who is an independent exotic car mechanic with small shop apparently and I cannot now find his contact info for some reason - who told me he had traced the wiring associated with powering a typical added amp in location as mine (at back between seats) and that the power and ground was in same circuit as TBs....made sense to me.....also these TBs are indeed very voltage sensitive....I had really stopped listening to stereo anyway as I listen to tons of music when working out so I did take it out - the amp and the big woofers.....I would try that if you are willing to be without the high powered system.....the problem with throttle bodies is that they cost a ton so I would not source them yet.....there is a fellow who was in this post who I was private messaging with that is a really detailed smart DIYer who I think has now come up with a technical way to test and maybe even rebuild the TBs as well FYI...actually his handle is EastMemphis......the stupid thing is that of course, these TBs are really nothing special just Bosch should be rebuildable and sourcable without breaking the bank but as you know Ferrari as a company and Ferrari vendors tend to try to screw you on stuff because it’s Ferrari even when when it’s not a special item....

11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Thanks for the compliment. Typically, the problem that I've seen is the motor, which has carbon brushes that wear, starts to lose power and that causes a problem. Rebuilding them with parts from a donor new TB, like from a Porsche Cayenne, can restore a good bit of the use of these things. It's actually very simple to rebuild them but fraught with potential danger as the little brushes on the potentiometers in the unit can be destroyed by simply breathing on them (a bit of an exaggeration). So extreme care has to be taken when rebuilding them.

Both TB's have to be matched and that's why virtually every shop will recommend replacing both with new units. For about $300, both can be rebuilt with new motors and new pots, plus replacing two out of the three gears. The gear with the pot pickups is one I haven't tried to change out yet.

Here's a link to the article I wrote about my experience:

https://www.ferrari360.org/2020/07/bosch-throttle-body-replacement.html

I am trying to build a device with an app to test the TB's but unfortunately, work has gotten in the way of progress. I keep moving forward but I have no timeline.

Another potential solution would be to move the vent line from the TB to in front of the TB. That way, a standard cheap Porsche unit could be mounted in place of the high cost Ferrari unit and it would be a simple drop in. I haven't tried that but it should be technically feasible. I think the 430 TB does that now.

12. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    EastMemphis glad u chimed in....my car ran great thru end of last season but others obviously have had/are having the same problem we both have had and solved. In my case I’m under no illusions that it’s solved forever so if/ when it does crop up I may either do the Porsche substitute idea u mention - that actually seems like it might be the best solution in terms of time and $$ or attempt the rebuild....meantime someone (you but you probably don’t have time and make a lot more money at work!) should offer a rebuild service.....I am also going to search in case someone already is....

13. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    I would love to offer a rebuild service but the liability involved would torpedo the idea. Too much to lose.

14. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Thank you guys for a quick informative response.

I have physically checked the TB’s for operation & it seems the butterflies on both of them flap normally & do not appear to be sluggish.

Next I plan on securing the battery properly & check the wiring around it to make sure its all good.

After that I plan on taking out the unnecessary big sub box & amp with the wiring. Hoping this would solve my issue.

15. ksanjana

ksanjana Karting

Oct 28, 2014
    Houston, TX
    Just to recap, it was the amp & the big box high powered stereo system, unplugged & tested it. The car flew like a dream! Everything like it should, yanked it all out & replaced it with simple stereo system with regular door speakers, just enough to enjoy at 130! LOL

16. Yellow02Z06

Yellow02Z06 Karting

Nov 2, 2013
    Glad car is running well but surprised stereo fixed it IF TBs were working….but the important thing is she is singing….always a great feeling and sound….

17. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    As far back as I can remember it has been SOP when you are diagnosing electrical gremlins disconnect all aftermarket electrical equipment.

The people installing it are usually pretty clueless. Also no one mentioned testing the alternator under load. Should put out somewhere north of 120 amps. They are hand grenades and go belly up regularly.

one4torque likes this.