NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER) | Page 65 | FerrariChat

NEW MID ENGINED V6 (LITTLE BROTHER)

Discussion in '296' started by ajr550, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #1601 TheMayor, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    Fair enough.

But when Little Brother is in the shop for month waiting for someone from the Factory to try to figure out why its not working, maybe a simpler car might be more your fancy.

I still believe Ferrari's are getting way overly complex for the payoff. They should go back to basics for the entry level cars. You wanna make a hyper car with all this stuff? Fine. People paying $2M for a car don't drive it anyway.

I was really hoping this "new start" would reverse the trend of overly complex tech cars coming from Ferrari and more care about emotion. Looks like I'm going to be disappointed.

The next step is obviously an all electric Ferrari. I don't care how much the "Ferrari" brand means to me -- I'm not interested in an all electric car no matter how fast or how pretty or how much F1 "tech" it has.

2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I don’t own a little brother. Not really planning on buying one. I hear what you are saying aboutt ty novelty complex and agree.

Senna1994 and TheMayor like this.
  3. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hybridization and electrification of supercars has gotta be a nightmare for the manufacturers.

Like brand name pharmaceuticals coming off patent and going generic.

4. cesman

cesman Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2008
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Craig
    As I understand it the SF90 isn’t pitched as a 720s rival and LB will ultimately be the F8 replacement. The new McL is the 570 replacement not an F8 rival. I think we’re talking cross-purposes here. Ferrari chose not to launch a Dino which would have been in the 570 segment and are instead choosing to go upmarket with the SF90 price point.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

F2003-GA likes this.
  5. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Chevy versus Ferrari - both do the same thing debate is the same old age of Timex versus Rolex. If the price/value of luxury goods were only in its utilitarian purpose - “art” would not exist. Why hang a Picasso or Dali on my wall if I can just simply paint a blue square or hang a poster to fill the space. To each his own.

If we value these cars simply on which which is faster to 60, 1/4 mile etc. than we are quantifying the value. I think it’s fun to compare. I do think as much as Ferrari claims to not watch it’s competitors and only run their cars at Fiorano and compare their times to previous model Ferrari’s they are definitely watching their competitors. Enzo himself was an avid competitor. Hard to ignore all the smoking guns of years ago accusations that Ferrari press cars and launch specs for testing were tuned to improve performance in comparison testing.

Mac is pushing them and as stated, competition makes better products. The 488 GTB was a response to the 12C/650s power just destroying the 458 Italia. Doesn’t mean to me that the 650s was a better car because it was quicker.

Caeruleus11, SoCal to az and Napoli like this.
  6. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Not my point at all. My question is why do new Ferrari's have to be so complicated. They weren't always. They were just good fast cars.

Was there something lacking in them?

Clearly you can make a good fast car without electric motors and turbos today. Its not "impossible". That is the point, not "Chevy vs Ferrari". More like: Classic vs Tech.

I think we are losing the big picture. 10 years from now these hybrids will be sitting waiting for obsolete batteries while Fchat has a discussion how to replace a faulty electric motor for less than the value of the vehicle.

I don't see that as a viable future.

A Ferrari should not be "art" you hang on the wall. It should be something you drive instead of sitting in your garage.

of2worlds likes this.
  7. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010

Understood, but your making an assumption that a complexity will equate to battery issues -> supply issues -> cost of battery replacement. I think a couple of takeaways to add...While perhaps feared or assumed, I’ve not heard of any issues with batteries from any of the three previous gen hybrids: LaF, 918, or P1. Two, the new McLaren Artura is coming with a 5 year warranty and 6 year battery warranty to eliminate some of these concerns or assumptions. Three, the complexity of turbos, batteries, etc. is out of necessity to meet emission and fuel economy regulations. It’s not what the manufactures “want” to do, it’s what they “have” to do in order to comply.

SoCal to az and Senna1994 like this.
  8. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Not my point at all.

I’m implying here in the regard to the Chevy versus Ferrari “value” point. If we judged them on similar horsepower figures or by the simplicity that they both have four wheels, two seats and a steering wheel, sure, they are the same, where is the value. The “artistry” is the intrinsic value or intangible value that I was implying. The Brand pedigree, the craftsmanship, the design, the rarity and exclusivity - all add to the appeal of the car.

Tomw384 likes this.
  9. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    So basically we are talking about 2 different things.

And the problem is?

People get way too hung up over Chevy. And fall way too far in love with "Brand pedigree". If Ferrari made doggie doo some people would still treasure it as sacred art.

Maybe what's more important is what each builds and why.

jm2 and Senna1994 like this.
  10. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    I’m certain Ferrari, Lamborghini and Porsche are the last ones that want to see the death of the NA. In this rapidly changing environment, how then does a supercar manufacturer discriminate itself so it can attract new buyers at a premium they are willing to pay?

“Hot V”, turbos, V-6......eventual full EV......these cars are all starting to become alike.

Reputation? Legacy? Might work for a while, but as these cars begin to become more homogeneous in nature, what’s left? (no, not Ferrari paint jobs).

To the Mayor’s point....I pity the fool who’s never rang a Ferrari’s neck and unleashed the true beast within.

11. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I prefer the skid pad numbers to 0-60 for sports cars. All the HP in the world can't help if you slide off the track.

F2003-GA and babgh like this.
  12. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    All valid points.

Differentiation will absolutely become more challenging if we all have the same batteries and engines. If the company doesn’t evolve and offer compelling products it will die. The regulations are only resetting the rules of how they have to play if they want to continue to sell cars and just because I like their ICE or hybrid offerings doesn’t imply I will value their pure EV cars one day. Eventually, according to Bob Lutz, all self driven cars will be obsolete and illegal unless on private property, we’ll all be in autonomous pods.

Brand pedigree - doesn’t imply I like every product. Roma and Lusso are not for me, I don’t own the clothing, nor have a smelled the cologne. Not seen it yet, but I’ll pass on the Ferrari branded doggie doo too.

Usage - I agree, not driving them is a shame, but I’m not going to tell someone else how to spend their money nor how to enjoy their toy they have chosen to spend it on. Adam Corolla is a big car collector, doesn’t drive any of his cars. His response “Do stamp collectors, mail letters with their stamps?” That’s his choice, I agree with the above, to not having driven them and felt the emotion is being robbed of the experience to in my opinion.

13. 330i

330i Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2006
  14. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
  15. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    100% ^^^ I saw it over the weekend as well at McLaren Newport Beach. The car looks much better and very little shut lines. It is a massive improvement over the 570. Great Drivetrain and very nice interior. I was a Naysayer but they did a very good job. Now for Little Brother to show its face already.

F2003-GA, Need4Spd and SoCal to az like this.
  16. ingegnere

ingegnere F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Montreal
    456-boy, Napoli, isot and 1 other person like this.
  17. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    I don't believe so on the Door color, maybe it is the picture, by the way in person the wheel looks very good IMHO on that color. For whatever reason, I believe that photos don't suit the car as well as seeing it in person.

18. D11

D11 Karting

Sep 26, 2010
    Anyone know of another that really wants one though?

I think there will be a little excitement like with the 600LT, then before you know it they will be sitting at dealers and there will be ads all over the place for Artura’s that read “Lease for $1599/month.”

Caeruleus11, Napoli and dustman like this.
  19. SoCal to az

Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Maybe. The 5 year warranty could be a game changer for their reputation. We will see.

F2003-GA and Senna1994 like this.
  20. 4re4ever

4re4ever Formula 3

Mar 26, 2006
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Simon
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly, in the eyes of generation show flake and the eco warrior we are dinosaurs. They have been allow to unleash their demands on the world without any actual though or consideration to how we make these changes work. They demand instant resuilts. This has created a massive mess that in my option is worst than the original problems. We are now trying to solve valid problems with over complicated bigger problems.

of2worlds and Napoli like this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The thing is that Maclaren dont have a car to go against the SF90.

22. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    The V6 hybrid is a new segment . The replacement for the 458/488/F8 is the SF90. McLaren dont have a match to the SF90 once the 765 closes orders. Thats its match.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Our dealer said the F8 will be selling along side by side with LB

of2worlds and Shack like this.
  24. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Agree but thats just it the 765 is vs SF90 and when the 765 stops Mclaren will have to build a V8 TT Hybrid .

The Artura will be cheaper but the LB will be its opposition.

Fact is the SF90 is the new F8 and Ferrari pushed up the price. The LB will cost more than the F8 closer to the Pista. Mclaren will be cheaper than the LB by a mile.

Napoli likes this.
  25. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Cant wait to see LB warrantee . The SF90 makes no reference to the battery .

Artura has 6 year warrantee on the battery !!! 10 years on body and 5 year warrantee . Nothing mentioned on service.

Frankly ild rather the loner warrantee on Ferrari rather than service. And even now care post Feb 2019 the car algorithms will tell the service team to change the oil or not.

With Ferraris electrical issues with batteries Ferrari better have a 10 year warrantee on the battery !