Pistol Squats - who here does 'em? | FerrariChat

Pistol Squats - who here does 'em?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Chupacabra, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I have a child with type one diabetes, so the gym has been off limits to me since COVID hit. The good thing about it is I saw it coming and quickly grabbed a bunch of home workout gear before the shelves ran dry! Ergo, I have had to create entirely new routines incorporating a pair of 95lb adjustable dumbells, pushup handles, a pullup bar, plyo box, sliders, adjustable kettlebells, a TRX, weighted vest, and an adjustable bench.

To be honest, I'm in better shape than ever! I don't have tons of plates at my disposal, but the moves I have started to incorporate, some of which I may have looked at sideways before, have proved to be challenging and very effective.

One such addition is the pistol squat. Holy Hell. I quickly realized that no matter how many barbell squats, sled pushes, deadlifts, leg presses, etc. I have done in my life, they all meant exactly squat because...I couldn't even do ONE pistol when I started on this new regimen back in March.

I'm still working on my form and am continuing to do plenty of other single leg exercises (weighted step-ups, lunges, etc.) but man, what a brutally effective and simple exercise. Anyone else here finding similar gains with these?

2. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I've done them, I need to add more. My legs have been a weak spot, but I'm home gym and getting creative. 1 1/2 squats holding weights, partial squats, Bulgarian squats, etc. Legs are definitely muscular and shapely, but I want more width.

On a different note, my abs have gone nuclear, great results from simple exercises.

Chupacabra likes this.
  3. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    Yep, I've been doing double crunches and roll outs exclusively. I'll do one big set of 50 (sometimes 70) roll-outs a few times a week, then switch to doubles for a week and so on. I think all of the newer exercises we are forced to adopt - things like double rack position kettlebell lunges, for instance - use more core stability and are certainly helping. Of course, none of this would mean anything without good nutrition which I have prioritized even more since COVID. Sounds like you have as well!

rdefabri likes this.
  4. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I have never tried pistol squats. I was recently doing Bulgarian lunges where the rear foot was on the slider for a rowing machine. You really have to stay balanced and in the glute, no cheating to the rear leg or you fall. Maybe I will try pistol squats one of these days soon.

Separate note: Maybe we should start a thread on nutrition for lifting.

Chupacabra likes this.
  5. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Pistol squats are great. I do them often.

Chupacabra likes this.
  6. Chupacabra

Chupacabra F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 30, 2005
    Behind a drum kit
    Full Name:
    Mr. Chupacabra
    I've been doing Bulgarian split squats as well. Adding a weighted vest and two kettlebells makes the move pretty intense, especially holding the kettlebells in rack position. Definitely a balance/core-heavy move! The first time I tried those, I was bleeding!

I feel so much more athletic after training this way, and my lower back is much happier. That's huge because I have trained around and through that since I was 17, but I think it has just as much to do with years of twisting and reaching while drumming as it does anything else. It all seems better now. I don't know that I will ever go back to the standard style of lifting I was doing before, except for occasional routine variations to break things up/deload.

7. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    Pistol Squats are amazing for balance. I suck at them.
    Might also want to try doing sissy squats; which aren't sissy at all! Anaotehr great old school exercise.

For those that do Bulgarian Split Squats; please try the infamous version from John Meadows....
    Do these correct and you'll walk funny the rest of the day/week!

8. kals0222

kals0222 Rookie

Mar 23, 2023
    Full Name:
    Kaleem
    Stronger muscles and joints, better balance and coordination, and improved mobility are just some of the benefits that pistol squats can offer. Here are some of the major benefits of performing pistol squats:
    1. Being a unilateral exercise, the pistol squat reduces muscle imbalances in both legs.
    2. It increases balance and physical awareness (proprioception)
    3. Pistol squats can lead to hypertrophy or the building of muscle mass. This happens due to the impact of eccentric activity in the leg muscles.
    4. Pistol squats can help improve your mobility, flexibility, and range of motion.

9. Maximus1973

Maximus1973 Formula 3

Oct 29, 2016
    If you have some weights at your disposal, try Goblet Squats as well.
    Pistol Squats focus a lot on your balance; not strength perse.
    A Goblet Squat is a more stable version for those that have balance issues.