How many Mondials are left? | FerrariChat

How many Mondials are left?

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Chris Mondi, Jan 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chris Mondi

Chris Mondi Rookie

Oct 30, 2018
    Full Name:
    Chris Riedinger
    So from the numbers I found, and please correct me if any of these seem off, 6224 mondials were made between 1980-1993. Here’s a question that can probably never be answered accurately.....how many do you guys think are left intact and in driving/restorable condition? And how many are in excellent condition?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Great question, I've often wondered this as well. Between totaled from accidents, parting out, and undrivable due to neglect. What would be the real number?

I would suspect 10-20 percent are no longer with us.

Just a pure guess.

3. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    I never see any of the original 8's around, so I suspect most are gone, they were the ones that would unlikely be restored, at least historically. I also suspect the t was so usable, probably lots with high milage and costly service that would get deferred, so probably more than average attrition there. I would bet less than half the total made are in service.

paulchua likes this.
  4. ronfrohock

ronfrohock F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2004
    MA
    Full Name:
    Ron Frohock
    I’d bet more like 30%. Just a guess though.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

paulchua likes this.
  5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    3 less per year on average... in my case :) - but that helps keeping many others on the road!

6. djs308

djs308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    David S.
    It's not scientific by any means, but of the 87 or so 3.2 coupes that came to North America, I have heard of 3 that were totaled or parted out in the last 10 years. Obviously, there may be many more (hoping not) that I do not know about but I do try to take note whenever I hear of one that has driven its last mile.

paulchua likes this.
  7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    From what I can see in the second hand / parts market, about 15 to 20 cars on average are parted out each year.

paulchua likes this.
  8. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    One would think if the remaining running cars were in large numbers then many more would be for sale at any time. Try and find a well maintained example and you are lucky if there are maybe 20 ads around the world at any point in time, with half of them looking like very tired examples. Either there are lots of cars hidden in barns, or there are far fewer out there than people expect.

paulchua likes this.
  9. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    In the UK, there are 127 Mondials registered on the road according to one MOT registration source. The chart shows the data by year.

According to Wikipedia, there were 540 right hand drive examples of the Mondial manufactured, let's assume 2/3rds of those went to the UK, the balance to Japan, Australia, etc. That would be 361 cars sold in the UK. With the 127 registered on the road, that would mean a survival rate of 35%.

So it appears in the UK that the survivor rate is quite low. Also confirms my hypothesis that the t's would be the most usable cars hence the higher average mileages, and more on the road consistent with their higher volumes.

The UK is humid and wet, so rust/electrical faults may have taken more off the road than in eg. US southern markets, suggesting possible higher survival rates on a global basis. On the other hand the UK market cars tend to be well maintained, and the Brit's love their classic cars, so survival rates may well be higher in that market.

Based on all that, it would appear a reasonable guess that likely considerably less than 50% of the total cars made are out there and roadworthy - the 35% UK proxy seems reasonable. That means globally there would be about 2,000 cars on the road. So still should be some decent Mondials available for reasonable prices for some time to come. If say 5% of those are collectors cars or very low mileage/well maintained/restored examples, that would represent about 100 top condition cars out there. That would seem consistent with what shows in the classified ads, and why finding a pristine Mondial takes some patience and some "know it when you see it " expreience to land a good car for a fair price.

paulchua, Incaico, JLF and 1 other person like this.
  10. moysiuan

moysiuan F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2005
    Canada
    Note, this chart got scrambled when uploading, but the data remains accurate.

paulchua likes this.
  11. enzo360

enzo360 F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Aug 1, 2004
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Jurgen Durand
  12. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I'm sorry to say that all your numbers are wrong!

1) The MOT data relies on the model being correctly recorded - which it frequently isn't
    2) The MOT data doesn't tell you whether the car is LHD or RHD, an original UK car or a later import
    3) UK original cars can survive but no longer be in the UK (e.g. in Australia in particular)
    4) There are actually at least 330 Mondials (8, QV Coupe, QV Cab, 3.2 Coupe, 3.2 Cab, t Coupe and t Cab) currently registered in the UK (or not quite currently but when I last checked)
    5) Approximately two dozen of the currently-registered UK cars are LHD imports
    6) Without double-checking, I think there were 587 supplied new to the UK
    7) Wikipedia is wrong!