512BBi Fire Extinguisher Location ?? | FerrariChat

512BBi Fire Extinguisher Location ??

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 2dinos, Dec 19, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Just looking for some opinions on the best cabin location.

Thinking low, and just forward of the passenger seat. It could be on the drivers seat, but leaning toward pass side. My first pick for a 308 is the side flank area by the seat belt. I don't even know it's there as it doesn't interfere with removable targa panel or getting in / out; however, The Boxer has some leather storage pockets with an elastic hem I'd prefer to not interfere with. The back carpeted firewall could be an option but interferes with a modest storage area ie factory Schedoni luggage or even a jacket etc.

Thanks again and happy holidays !!!

2. mexicruiser

mexicruiser Karting

Aug 28, 2012
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I thought it thru myself also, in a car with such a difficult to open engine lid a fixed engine bay installation was my choice, I just don’t see a way to safely reach the latch in such an event. I have considered having a secondary hand extinguisher, in case I have a dash fire etc, or if someone else needs a hand, then perhaps one of the flare stick style devices (Element) could fit in the glovebox?

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    May sound stupid, but I keep this Fire extinguisher in its box behind the driver seat of my Boxer. It serves its purpose.
    No extra latches or mounts installed. Hopefully I'll never need it and I can take it out whenever.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    You might want to rethink not securing that Fire Extinguisher, It might be come a missile and take off your head in a wreck! Just saying!

5. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Totally get it. It is in its box and not too much wiggle room back there.

6. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Thanks guys!

The main take-away is to never ever need it! After that, it would be nice to not have it be an annoying artifact in the passenger compartment. I like the idea of having it integrated into the engine compartment. That's a pretty dedicated project!

Have a great new year!

7. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    #7 DonB, Jan 1, 2021
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2021
    I recommend not depending on a Dry Chemical extinguisher as pictured. They're junk, hence the price. And the damage they cause when used can sometimes exceed the cost of the fire damage. A friend of mine did $14000 in damage when he used a DC extinguisher to put out an engine fire on his 308. The DC agent is extremely caustic and is harmful to electronics, metal, and you.
    Instead I recommend using a Halon or Halotron clean gas extinguisher.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    halon not legal in europe anymore since long time :(

9. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    But Halotron is. Not as good but almost, and still a clean gas agent.

10. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=24735
    The above caught my eye and may find its way onto my wish list. Noted that this example is UK only but I have to assume similar systems are approved in other jurisdictions.
    The cylinder and mount make quite a lump with respect to available BB space but I do know someone who had a similar system fitted.

11. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    The ext. doesn't interfere with the passengers legs...and the ext. is easily accessible.

12. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    OOPS! I didn't open the link. The link references an AFFF system which is a Foam system, which is water based. Life the Lifeline Zero 2000 system. You don't want this for a road car!

13. TerryG!

TerryG! Karting

Feb 12, 2017
    Central UK
    The company also supply gas systems and I completely agree about the undesirability of foam!
    https://www.rallydesign.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=1_2134&products_id=25519
    is a link I should have posted earlier. Apologies.

14. sixcarbs

sixcarbs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2004
    SF
    I never wanted to have a fire extinguisher in my car. I forgot which used one I had came with one, maybe my Daytona.

But, it is bad juju to remove it. So I left it.

15. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I do the same

Drew

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ag512bbi likes this.
  16. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    It works.

17. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    As already stated an inexpensive powder extinguisher often does more damage than it prevents. If you are going to carry an extinguisher invest in a clean agent extinguisher and make sure it is easy to get to because time is EVERYTHING in an emergency. Forget about carrying an extinguisher in your front trunk as you will loose too much time getting to it. It MUST be in the cabin.

Element is a revolutionary fire extinguisher that has no moving parts, discharges 5x longer, makes no mess and is 80% smaller than a traditional extinguisher. It is not affected by humidity, temperature, or time and can be easily kept in a glove box or door pocket. Just like your Ferrari it is made in Italy just down the road from Pininfarina :)

Check them out at www.elementfire.com

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007
    Wow!! Thank you!

Now that is pretty cool.

What size to get? 50 or 100 second? I figure - better too large than too small. Since they're small, get two??

19. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Most people buy the E50 model. The E100 is generally a professional use item that Police and Military use but realistically an E50 is all you need. Given the size and no expiration or shelf-life, most people buy multiples to keep in different areas. Remember fire does not care where it burns so Element is not just for the car. It is equally capable in the kitchen, garage, workshop, trailer, or anywhere a fire could happen.

20. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Any source for one in Italy? My car is in Bologna and I want to store one in it.

21. 2dinos

2dinos F1 Rookie

Jan 13, 2007

Thanks for your input.
    Any downside to the E100 aside from slightly larger dim's and cost? If the fire is out, and you just let the extinguisher discharge over the area, isn't that better assurance fire will remain out while it cools - or- if you see sparking due to a melted wire, you might be able to act on battery disconnect and still have extinguisher running? I know, lots of scenarios and you can't plan for everything.

The mid engine cars have the tanks in the engine compartment. If one of those is breached say from accident and lights, I presume it's game over? So for this situation, the medium size is fine as you're either going to be able to address the situation or not. Maybe this is a safety feature, if 50 seconds doesn't get it under control get away! I recall at a track event, the group of drivers were instructed to not attempt a fire situation with our required extinguishers, but to let the track's fire professionals take care of it as the potential to be overwhelming . Drivers were to just safely get away.
    Again - thanks.

Man - what a depressing subject! sorry.