Any interest for new gauge lenses? | FerrariChat

Any interest for new gauge lenses?

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by sebackman, Feb 16, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    I'm making new gauge lenses if anyone is interested.

The gauges lenses in my 400i Series 1 have become a bit "milkey" from the sunlight. I have tried to remove and polish them in several ways but without real success. Hence I'm going to have a full set water cut to the same dimensions.

There are two larger lenses and 6 smaller in my car including the clock. They are easy to exchange. On the speedo and rev counter the lenses are screwed from the front and on the smaller gauges one have to loosen a two small plastic holders (plastic welds) the change the lens and put a small glue dot after.

I have not confirmed that the lenses on the 365, 400GT, 400i S2 and 412 are identical to the 400i S1. They look the same and I would believe that at least the 365, 400GT and 400i gauges are the same.

I'm planning to do a couple of sets so please PM if of interest. Will only sell whole sets with all 8 lenses.

I hope to get some pricing tomorrow and I guess it will depend on how many we order.

Best regards
    //Rob

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    White polish fills all the scratches with material that will glare badely so should be avoided.

In order to reduce glare and hide defects I prefer to use black polish on my vintage leica lenses.

I also tested it on my windscreen : black polish on the right.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
  4. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    One should read black polish on the LEFT of the red mark. :)
    [​IMG]

5. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
  6. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Thank you for the answers.

These are not scratches but rather the sun ageing the plastic, it has lost transparency. Any scratches are gone buy now.

It is not possible to polish out the gray tone in my lenses. I have tried several alternatives and even som abrasive alternatives. It is in the plastic, not on the surface.

Anyway, I'm doing a few sets if someone has an interest. They are really easy to change.

Kind regards
    //Rob

7. TomTomGTA

TomTomGTA Rookie

Aug 28, 2012
    Luxembourg
    Full Name:
    Tom Mailliet
    Hello Raemin,

my windscreen is covered with microscratches, what is that black polish you were using?

thanks

8. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Black automotive polish. If the mark are deep I fill the crack with a bit of paint.

9. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Yeah Raemin, he's talking about the cloudy gauge lens plastic. Like this. (NOT MINE). These are not scratches but actual clouding of the acrylic lens. Ignore the stock number and phone number. :) I grabbed this image from the infamous yellow abandoned 400i convertible that was for sale at BHCC.

10. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Now I have 3 sets available with 2 large lenses for the speedo and tacho plus 6 smaller lenses for the other gauges. Will post pictures later. Just installing my own.

Happy Easter
    //Rob

11. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
  12. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    Two sets still available. All 8 lenses for 110 Euro + postage. Clock lens not drilled as they may differ, but easy to do in Macrolon.

13. sebackman

sebackman Karting

May 19, 2010
    Europe
    BUMP.

8 new instrument lenses

I still have one set of brand new lenses for the instruments in the 400i. 8 waterjet precision cut lenses in Macrolon. Large lenses drilled for screws. Easy to mount.

I spent quite some time to polish my old ones but never got them good enough. Could take out most scratches but not the discoloration. I should have saved many precious hours and changed them from the outset. Please see picture below.

Makes no use on my shelf.

100Euro + package (no weight so cheap).

PM or email at "[email protected]" .

Stay Safe
    //Rob

Ak Jim likes this.