Purosangue | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Purosangue

Discussion in 'Purosangue' started by willcrook, Feb 9, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Handing someone a parachute before they jump out of the aircraft is still saving them... I mean you could have waited till the jumped out and had to be saved... But avoiding the drama of the moment is ideal.

G. Pepper likes this.
  2. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Maybe from itself. If they keep opening new dealerships without ramping up production, the old school Ferrari dealerships will close.

Florida Joe and G. Pepper like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    If that is the real name Ferrari should just kill this project now.

Clearly the marketing department hasn't a clue what consumers want.

IloveGT and G. Pepper like this.
  4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Compared to Porsche, Ferrari was a niche producer - staying that way instead of pursuing ever growing production numbers, they would not need the PuroSangue (or FattyHorse as it should be called).
    Porsche being comparatively a mass producer already, had to make the Cayenne (a VW / Audi co-development btw, the VW Touareg and Audi Q7 shared the platform even though the Q7 was more disguised) to sustain its economic model.

5. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Sorry Bob, but they don't care what we want. They know exactly what the Chads want. This will be a money fountain for Ferrari.

6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrari is in a slightly different position then Porsche was. They really dont need to do this. In fact, they should NOT do this. Ferrari's exclusivity is pretty much gone already. They are getting to the point where they will no longer be considered an exotic car. They will end up like Porsche. A high volume performance car builder, with a few really expensive models thrown in for good measure.

This change from being a small little builder of exclusive cars, to becoming a high volume car manufacturer is a direct result of going public. Ferrari is now what Porsche was in 90's.

Bullfighter likes this.
  7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The dealers need it.

G. Pepper likes this.
  8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    But who is ferraris competition and what do they sell? SUVs.

You have to toss bugatti out because that program doesn't match ferrari really in anyway.

Pagani? Same.

To meet regulations they must have platform and or parts sharing. It's just the way it is. So to keep ferrari pure instead of using outside parts or maserati chassis etc.... They are making more ferrari models

It's the right move in my opinion.

Ferrari hasn't been an exclusive auto manufacturer for decades. And honestly half a century.

While ferrari production has increased dramatically... 3rd world countries have become 1st world.

I'd bet if you compared the pool of buyers for ferraris 40 years ago vs the pool if buyers now all matched for production volume... Ferrari was more attainable and available (excluding us in like the 1980s with epa issues etc)

jm2 likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Again..Ferrari does not need to do this at all. They sell everything they make. There is no money shortage. They should be the company that said NO to an SUV. They would get more respect.

AlexV8, audi_328 and Culprit like this.
  10. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    No money shortage? Ummm... They are going to have a massive massive him to climb. Plus their formula 1 team sure could use the budget. This is capitalism.... Money is always welcome.

When everyone else is doing it... What respect are they going to lose? And... Like you said they sell plenty... So there won't be an issue if they lose anyone... And again... The will just make up for it in greater volume of the suv.

Again gt3... Carrera gt... The rs program etc... Gt2s etc.... Would not exist. 911r program... Nope. 911 targa... Nope.

If you want ferrari to keep pace with everyone let alone be in the lead they need the suv. There is not enough money to mantain sports cars and further dilute the line.

SUVs are massive money makers it would be a mistake for them to not make one.

Even aston. Is making a great one...

Saying no to an SUV is hundreds of millions in lost sales... I'd much rather see an SUV than an ff or luso. They were near cars but niche and j bought my fair share and sold them to get access to the other cars and lost my butt. What's the point of a car If the majority of them are being purchased to just get access to other cars and they depreciate 100k in 6o-90 days. That's not good for the brand or the customer.

Here is the biggest thing... As a business owner... I wouldn't want my clients going to lambo to buy an SUV... Because instead of buying an f8... They might just take a Huracan instead. Keep them in "my showroom"

I totally get that you don't like the suv. I completely understand. I get it from the enthusiast side. I love the idea of having a pure line up but ferrari hasn't had a pure line up since the 60s.

I get it. I wish they didn't have to make it. I'm just glad they are doing it to stay ahead instead of doing it to catch up. The brand and f1 team would likely suffer big.

11. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I was doing some work in a cafe recently and I glimpsed out the window a restricted side view of what I assumed was a Hyundai Santa Fe, or something of the sort.

Later, I watched as it moved off and realized: Oh no, it's a Lamborghini. As a kid who had a Countach on his wall, it's a sad state of affairs when I can confuse a Lambo for a Hyundai, from any angle.

I completely understand why Ferrari is making the SUV. I won't be buying it, but don't hold anything against them for it. Buyers, to my consternation, are red hot for SUVs even if they never go off-roading. I hope the trend goes away.

But if Ferrari is doing an SUV, I want it to look like the most daring, distinctive, unmistakably Ferrari SUV on sale. Not like a DBX (bloated DB11), Levante (bloated Ghibli), Benteyga (bloated Conti), Cullinan (RR Ghost x Postman Pat van) or Urus (tarted up SQ8).

And definitely not a bloody Hyundai.

paulchua and Texas Forever like this.
  12. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    who is the buyer for this? i dont know anyone who has the lambo suv. i wild never give up my FF for this.

13. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I'm guessing Chinese women will account for a large % of sales.

I live in Asia and most Urus drivers here are young rich tasteless posers who are not car guys but love to show off. They dress in $1,000 track pants and call each other "bro" a lot.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Not sure who the buyers are, but I see more than a several around here.

anunakki and G. Pepper like this.
  15. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I agree, George. I think LDM put it best when he declared, "Ferrari is now American, which represents the end of an era." I guess you can argue that Agenllis (had?) believed in certain philosophical things - which, let's be frank, is one's ethos should overrule absolute profits.

It's hard to have that same focus with a public company accountable to shareholders.

However, what is Ferrari? Again, going back to LDM, to me, it boils down to 2 things.

1) Extreme Performance
    2) Exclusivity

I think nobody doubts the march forward of the former; the problem, of course, is the latter. The two pillars go hand in hand - that's why folks often pooh pooh Ferrari's (lessor offerings) - companies such as Bugatti, McLaren, Lamborghini, and Koenigsegg wouldn't exist if this weren't so.

Now I know others can add a whole plethora of other vital components' - some I can think of are passion, beauty, uncompromising.

I argue passion/uncompromising are under the umbrella of the first 2 core tenents above. Beauty is very subjective; I've often heard the same Ferrari described as the most beautiful and ugly at the same time from different folks.

16. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    Was just listening to the Cars Yeah podcast the other day; they had the marketing guy on from Foreign Cars Italia. A few times he mentioned how Ferrari has positioned itself as a "luxury lifestyle brand", which IMO is different from what they historically had been, i.e. a manufacturer of exclusive, high performance sports and touring cars.

I get why they're doing it, but agree with those that say it didn't need to be done. I don't think the Purosangue helps the brand image, other than in the "luxury lifestyle" department; I always thought of Ferrari as being, well...more than that.

17. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    While I completely understand, Ferrari must evolve or die. If the FUV gives them the extra cash to pursue more high performance cars, as happened with Porsche, I'm OK with that.

SamfromTX likes this.
  18. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Only from itself.

elephantgrinds and tbakowsky like this.
  19. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    I hear you, except I thought Ferrari was doing just fine in the cash department even without the SUV...unlike what happened at Porsche, I don't think the SUV will blow up to be the company's bread and butter. I guess what I mean is Porsche needed a Cayenne a lot more than Ferrari needs a Purosangue. I do understand that pretty much everybody's doing it, so why not Ferrari. Of course it will be great as far as SUVs go, they'll make money with it, and as a business with shareholders, that's what they're supposed to do, not kowtow to some loftier ideal. I totally get it.

Change is inevitable and Ferrari is no exception, they must change and evolve, you are of course correct. Having been a Ferrari nut since the mid-80s, it sometimes sucks to realize that "you can't go home again", and the Purosangue is the biggest symbol of that.

elephantgrinds and G. Pepper like this.
  20. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
  21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Flavio_C and jm2 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Every day on Facebook there are countless 'artists' renditions of Purosangue possibilities.
    I wouldn't believe any of them.

23. Remonschroer

Remonschroer Rookie

Apr 10, 2021
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    @Rosso812
    jm2 and crinoid like this.
  24. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005