488 - 1 whole year with my 488GTB | Page 2 | FerrariChat

488 1 whole year with my 488GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Mighty Joe, Feb 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I'm actually seriously considering to keep my 488 next to my F8 when it arrives. On the other hand a 458 speciale next to F8 would be cool too :)

blkdiablo33 and tickerhound like this.
  2. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    even say you sell what car do you get to replace the 488 gtb for under 250 k?

3. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Anybody named Joe who rolls with a 488 is my kinda guy! LOL

Viperjoe likes this.
  4. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Exactly - nothing better, at least for my usage. Not sure about US market, but in the same price range as my 488 out here, I could buy:

720S - crazy fast, and credit to Mac for bold styling, but I never loved the look of it. Bad rep for reliability and Mac Korea refuses to sell warranty on any of their cars more than 3 years old. Depreciating like hell too.

600LT - see above.

675LT + daily runaround - I considered this before I bought my 488 but the 675 is just too impractical and low. I'd end up spending at least as much time in the boring daily. Would rather spend all that time in a 488 which looks stunning, is surprisingly practical, and has more power than I'll ever need.

Huracan LP610-4 / 580-2 - not interested for many reasons.

F12 - love the mid (rear) engine layout too much. Plan to park a 812 next to the 488 in a few years though.

Nice to see the 488 getting some love here. Would be fun to drive a 458 for the comparison, but after 9 months of ownership I couldn't be happier with it.

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    before i got my 488 gtb i checked out mac 720 s huracan and the winner imo is the 488 yes mac is fastest of them all but the 488 has no lag and just runs so strong its a winner and the only 458 i would choose over a 488 is a speciale.

Attached Files:

6. FL410guy

FL410guy Karting

Apr 18, 2015
    Fort Lauderdale
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

The 488 is mine. The pista is my buddys. But I for one love the 488 platform. (Owned an F430, and a 458.)
    Just a joy to drive...

MANDALAY, blkdiablo33 and Mighty Joe like this.
  7. FerrariTexan

FerrariTexan Rookie

May 25, 2019
    Near San Antonio
    Full Name:
    FerrariTexan
    Also owned 430 and 458, and my 488 is much better toy in every way...

8. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Yeah… I have a 430 Spider that I just love. Hard to beat at this point for the enjoyment to dollar factor, but I’m craving some of that new tech and updated looks ( Although maybe I’m biased, I have to admit that I think the 430 is holding up well, and looking at the engine through that rear glass never gets old).

In a couple of years, will def replace this with the 488 spider...I’ll just skip right over the 458.

Hard to deny the eyeball appeal ( love those doors) and performance of the McLaren’s, But I would never buy one until they allow independent tax to work on them. That’s the biggest thing that scares me. I have a local guy that works on my Ferrari, and I have to tell you… The peace of mind of knowing you have someone thats not going to rip your balls off takes all the fear out of owning one of these cars. I wish more people understood they’re not that impractical...well, kinda not

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Mighty Joe and Napoli like this.
  9. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I heard a YT motoring 'journalist' the other day say that the step up from 458 to 488 was almost as big a leap as the step from F430 to 458.

Very interested to hear the thoughts on that of people who have owned all three.

blkdiablo33 and Mighty Joe like this.
  10. ntatfas

ntatfas Karting

Apr 27, 2011
    UK
    Not sure I would go quite that far, but I was surprised how much of a further step the 458 to 488 was in terms of power, usability, electronics (control systems), etc was. Many have lamented the poorer sound, and I can understand that, but the; extra power, minimal turbo lag, enhanced electronics made me choose the 488 over the 458. The 488 to F8 is a decent step up, in particular the steering, power and again enhanced electronics.

I would say if the F430 to 458 was 100% the 458 to 488 was 65% for me. The 488 to F8 about 20-25%.

OSUferrari, SVR, LVP488 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    At least 65%! (;-))

Viperjoe likes this.
  12. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    i love the blk roof and air ducts im thinking of wrapping mine

13. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike

I did this about 3 months ago by adding the 812.
    I’ve reached automotive nirvana!
    Grabbing the 488 keys one or two days a week and same for the 812. Such different cars but each super exciting in their ways. Wow
    The 812 always has a tingle vibrating through the car with the 12’s continuous vibrations even at idle. The F1 scream that satisfies my high pitch desire and overwhelming thrust high up.
    The 488 with my feet on the front axle with raised front arches giving the beautiful view out to the asphalt. It’s a planted go cart with instant torque. Lower the rear window or top down added growl and turbo suction or burble.
    This is it!
    We have arrived

SVR likes this.
  14. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny

Congratulations!! Living the dream.

I'm having an internal debate over which spec 812 to pursue. My 488 is the classic Rosso Corsa over Beige Tradizione. Would love to hear what you went for with your two. Photos always welcome!

vonbeeler likes this.
  15. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I’ve always had red Ferraris. This go around I started with a black 488. The lines are so gorgeous I wasn’t sure about this choice initially. However after about a year and a half I’m loving the black. For the 812 I didn’t want a bright color since this is GT. For me it came down to Grigio Silverstone or Titanio. I found the spec I wanted in Silverstone so that was it.
    Love them both Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Mighty Joe and cole328 like this.
  16. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Man... as much as I am trying to hold off, it really seems as if I owe it to myself to you at some point in the next year or two a 458 or 488. I’m a two-year owner of an 07F430 spider, and I just love it. The electronics are super simple, the car is a blast to drive, it sounds incredible, and it has been bulletproof. I can’t imagine the experience getting any better… But I have to admit, I do love that hard top

dweintra likes this.
  17. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    Absolutely beautiful!!

I would have taken a 488 in either red or black, ended up with rosso corsa.

I'm also favoring a dark color for the 812... Possibly Blu TDF. They look fantastic in darker colors and it suits the GT characteristics. Would be perfect next to the shouty red 488.

Enjoy them both and congrats again!

Mighty Joe and vonbeeler like this.
  18. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'm pretty sure you could wrap the exteriors of a 488 and an 812 in Burlap and they'd still be drop dead gorgeous cars! (;-))

vonbeeler likes this.
  19. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike

Mighty Joe likes this.
  20. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If your realistically trying to hold off do yourself a favor and do not drive a 488 until your a ready to buy. Literally once you drive it you will do whatever it takes to own it.

21. vonbeeler

vonbeeler Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Agreed
    This is pretty accurate.
    I might even put it closer to this:
    458 to 488 50%
    488 to F8 20% on looks
    10%on performance.
    Seat off the pants feel was negligible difference and you’re going to need aftermarket exhaust. Noticeably quieter with GPF.
    I must say I really don’t know how they improve on the looks of the F8.
    Truly stunning

Mighty Joe likes this.
  22. dgk194

dgk194 Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    I am seriously looking at a 488 GTB, this thread was very helpful! First Ferrari, been wanting to pull the trigger for a few years, finally read to do so. The car is a 2018 with just under 5K miles, 3 owner car, lightly optioned but has key items (led steering wheel, rear camera, badges, yellow calipers, red seat logo, power seats). I test drove it and it was absolutely amazing in every way. The dealer is at 235K with a 2 year warranty. It feels a little high for a 3 year old car that has a sticker of $275K. The car will be mainly for track use and a fun garage show piece.
    Any advice on price or what to ask for from the dealer?

23. OSUferrari

OSUferrari Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2015
    Denver CO
    Full Name:
    John
    That price is inline (I just bought 488 spider last week). You can probably get them under 230 but not much more. Offer 220 with expectations to settle around 228k. My 2 cents.

24. dgk194

dgk194 Rookie

Nov 23, 2020
    Very helpful, thank you for the insight, helps understand a reasonable, I will take that approach.