Daytona reversing lights / back up lights | FerrariChat

Daytona reversing lights / back up lights

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Nov 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #1 Wheels1, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    People are now re-manufacturing front marker/ side lights for the Daytona and 330 etc. and saying they are correct to use as reversing lights. [ selling for $1000 in some cases ]. Ferrari Front or Rear Light Set Pair for 275 GTB GTS 330 GTC GTS Daytona New | eBay

The original Carello reversing lights are different from the fronts, in that they have a drain hole in the bottom, and the screws go all the way through from the bottom to the top making them easier to remove.

Also the gaskets they are selling with the new lights are different from the Carello ones.
    They are black and appear not to be tapered, from the photos.
    They should be tapered to get the angle right when they are fitted to the bumpers.

I just thought it best to set the record straight, before it gets muddled in the mist of time.
    Here are some photos of the correct ones.
    Grant
    Ps Just for Daytona's with two reversing lights.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Hi Grant, same as my 330 GT

3. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    To continue "setting the record straight", I do not believe the screws shown in the pictured lights are correct. They were originally Oval Head, not Flat Head. Also, if the nut in the photo is brass, it is not correct, they were steel.

4. DaytonaKP

DaytonaKP Karting

Sep 6, 2007
    West Sussex
    Full Name:
    KP
    Grant, Now I know why you didn't enter concours last year, Massive failure on the reversing lights there! Brass in stead of steel? Rooky mistake!

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #5 Wheels1, Nov 23, 2013
    Yes you are right over the bolts, they are raised head's but it does not come out in the photo to well, i will take a close up tomorrow.

As for the nuts the jury is out, I have quite a few sets of this style lights all have the brass nuts, except one which has a new nylock, with blue insert nylock and we all know Ferrari used yellow incerts. [ Here we go].

I have just sold [ gave away looking at the prices now] these original 40 year old ones, that looked unused and they had brass nuts as well. It would make sense to have brass ones as there would be less chance of corrosion I would think. I don't know why I would have so many with brass nuts if they were not original as it would be easier to replace them with steel ones as they must be easier to find.

6. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Wheels 1: I have to agree that I have seen brass nuts on restored cars, and some may have been original, but after I posted my comments, I went to the shop and checked my stock of NOS lights and all I found was steel. So I would be happy to accept either one, though I tend to believe the brass may have been used on earlier lights , and the cheaper steel nuts appeared on later production.

7. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    #7 daytonaman, Nov 23, 2013
    From my 330gt. These are Carello - countersunk, raised head, phillips.
    Anyone know where to buy some please ?
    I also checked some NOS lights I have put away 25+ years ago -- plated steel nuts

enio45 likes this.
  8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    #8 Wheels1, Nov 24, 2013
    Just took a look at the ones on my car [pic attached], they came from a different source than the others I had, also attached is a photo of the head.

Howard, yours look a bit like we use over here to attach electric socket plates to the wall box, only they are mostly slotted.

The bolts in my photos are for the back lights the ones in the fronts, if you have them, are fixed into the light holder.

9. gtospoons

gtospoons Karting

Jun 16, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Full Name:
    Chris Withers
    Grant
    re #14273, 1971.
    Just checked, I have original brass nuts.
    Chris

10. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    to chime in...i have to concur with my colleague, and suggest that steel is a cost factror of later production, and earlier cars will have brass.
    My personal experience was from a Daytona-one of the first 10 built-and it 100% for sure had brass, and the goofy phillips head screws referenced....now, that said, these easily could be another example of using up the parts which were "lyinging in the tub" until the next load arrived... as in 330/365 GTC/GTS parts??

11. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Old thread, but I came into a very old (and rusty) set of rear bumpers that for all appearances are untouched since they left the factory.

No way to know for sure, of course, but if they are original, then they are not 100% consistent with the statements in this thread; slotted oval-head screws, and no nuts at all (the bracket that the reverse-lights mount to have threaded screws).

Just another data point.

12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    photos would be great

13. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    This is one reason I quit judging (senior FCA Judge). Who can keep track of all this picky stuff? Not complainin', just sayin'.

14. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    At the risk of adding nits to pick, here are the pics Turbo-Joe asked for:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Screw is threaded along its entire length, and the hole in the bracket is threaded.

Note that the interior of the bumper (including the top surface of the reverse-light bracket) was painted grey, and there was no evidence in the paint that there were ever nuts holding the screws to the bracket.

Again, I can't guarantee that this bumper is as it came from the factory; but it certainly appears quite "ancient" and "un-touched".

turbo-joe likes this.