F8 - “Too fast for the Road” | Page 4 | FerrariChat

F8 “Too fast for the Road”

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by MalibuGuy, Dec 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    Good point

2. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I took the C8 out first a spirited top down drive today. It’s not scary quick. The Pista is scary quick. Definitely a massive difference in feeling.

The C8 is brilliant, though.

VAF84 and SECRET like this.
  3. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't recall him saying that the F8 was tramlining, but he was very unhappy about the 812 in this regard. To Harry's defence, the Pirelis do tramline, and I can imagine it would be an issue with the bad UK roads. A shame they did not give him an 812 with MPS4S shoes - but then again, I suppose it would have been too fast for the roads.

Now as far as Harry reading this? Heh, not only do I suspect he does, he's a member here.

Jo Sta7 likes this.
  4. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Harry’s reviews are good. I appreciate his opinion and he has vast experience.

Coincid likes this.
  5. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Tires make such a difference with these cars.

Coincid, GT2goneF and Jo Sta7 like this.
  6. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    particularly on your F12

Gh21631 likes this.
  7. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    If you have watched his latest review about the Lamborghini He criticizes the F8 tram lining.

Go watch it

8. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Different tires do make a huge difference in steering and handling and overall performance.

Reviews are subjective. And when reviewers make comparisons, sometimes
    one wonders about their validity. If a reviewer who only gets to drive a particular car for an hour or two on a certain road on a rainy day a few months or a year ago makes a statement comparing it to a different car, I really question the accuracy. I do not mean to attack the reviewer at all.

And I fully understand that reviewers must somehow make their voices stand out too.
    It’s as much theater as it is journalism. Or rather journalism is theater.

I too was having a bit of fun creating this thread. I enjoyed EVO and enjoy watching Harry’s Garage YouTube. I view them as entertainment.

One must experience the cars in real life and with enough behind the wheel miles to truly understand and appreciate them.

(Harry M or Chris H or Schmee or JWW etc.)

9. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007

10. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Wow,,,,,, that's, oh my... The thumbnail pic hurts my eyes. I will give it a watch tomorrow.

With regards to the tyres and tramlining. While the Pirellis are known for it on cars with light steering, I suspect that the roads in the area Mr. Harry resides in does not have the best roads. That is one thing I've thought about when watching his vids. I have no doubt that it might be an issue there with Pirellis, I just think he would be doing a better job if he made it a point to mention that it might be the tyres, not the car. I really like his reviews of the more "classic" stuff, that's definitely his thing. Just not sure he's in tune with the current crop of sports cars, and nor do I feel that he is objective.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The EVO comes standard with Pirelli P Zero. The color of the reviewed car is Blu Seiler. It is not aqua. A comparative review of the EVO RWD to the F8 will be highly subjective since their driving dynamics are polar opposites. Furthermore, any car reviews undertaken in England will be a test of how adept at handling the car is in inclement weather. Seems to be rare to see the sun or a day without rain.

12. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Wanted to revisit this thread with my real life seat time in my new F8 spider.

I have the standard ORM Pirelli tires and have driven the car almost everyday for the past 10 days. The F8
    With these road tires is expretmemty well planted inspiring nothing but confidence under cornering amd acceleration. The braking is masterful too.

As far as being unstable as Harry quipped in a later video, I think that is completely immaculate. Perhaps it was due to the fact that his car had a track set up with Cup Tires and the roads he was test driving on were wet, cold and narrow English country roads with loads of crowning, never mind unevenness to boot. I wonder if he had gotten the tires up to a decent temperature.

The F8 is equipped with a more advanced side slip software which makes this Ferrari perhaps one of the best drift cars that Maranello has ever produced. Don't take my word for that. I'll listen to a master Ferrari mechanic who is a drift enthusiast and has plenty of seat time behind the wheel of an F8. He drove her like a hooligan (Please see the Chris Harris definition) on a wet cold track and drifted her lap after tire torturing lap. Also listen to current F2
    Champ Mick Schumacher praise the F8s controllability at Pista Fiorano.

So yes Harry for you the F8 is too fast and unsteady. Better pass on this one mate!

GT2goneF, fil, REALZEUS and 3 others like this.
  13. FourFiveGreat

FourFiveGreat Karting

Jan 5, 2019
    California
    “Too fast for the road”

Sounds like an endorsement.

Plife, GT2goneF and MalibuGuy like this.
  14. GT2goneF

GT2goneF F1 Rookie

May 28, 2020
    Southern California
    We like too fast for the road. For too slow for the road, I would have bought a (fill in the blank)

FourFiveGreat likes this.
  15. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I think the crap UK roads and cold account for some of the tramlining. I've driven my 488 on some very uneven roads (on P Zeros) and it does happen - though it's never seemed like a big deal. I can imagine it gets annoying if roads are consistently bad. Am switching to MPSS soon, let's see how they fare.

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I have experienced it with PZ4 on both the F8 and 812. I run Cup 2 a lot and never an issue.

The car Harry tested had PZ4, he mentions it. The UK roads are very poor, so no doubt he will be affected more.

The PZ4 is a step in the right direction, but they are not on the MPS4S level.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Why on earth would you use the old MPSS and not MPS4S?

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

GT2goneF likes this.
  18. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    D'oh that's what I meant. Omitted the 4.

MalibuGuy and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  19. MalibuGuy

MalibuGuy F1 Veteran

Sep 18, 2007
    Harry's just trying to get eyeballs!

I like his videos and watch most if not all of them. I like the one he about taking his vintage Testarosa to the South of France. In order to try to get his cabin heater to work he crammed some of magazines inside the side vents to black the air from cooling the radiators- I think he used some old copies of EVO. Didn't work though. Perhaps he should have used some vintage "Hustler" magazines instead They would have certainly steamed things up a bit.

GT2goneF likes this.