Crop dusting in the 1970's... | FerrariChat

Crop dusting in the 1970's...

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by 71Satisfaction, Feb 15, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    Check out this unique video...

A hangar of old Stearmans.. loading the hopper without any protective gear.. hand propping the beast and skimming the tops of cotton with your wheels...

2. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Been there done that in the 30's. No umbrella, though.

3. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Boomhauer likes this.
  4. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Poor guy with the marker umbrella must have gotten a pretty good dose of whatever they were spraying.

rob lay and SVCalifornia like this.
  5. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I flagged rows when I was a kid. They were dusting celery and lettuce and I used to get some of whatever it was, a blueish powder. Must explain some of my quirks that I have now.

375+, Island Time, kylec and 3 others like this.
  6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yep. I flagged a few in '70s. ;) No dain bramage that I'm erawa of.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Jacob Potts, 375+ and Island Time like this.
  7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Me too, cotton mostly, and grapes, and fruit trees; San Joaquin valley and MX.
    Stearmans first, then AgCats, then 'copters. And always me on the ground.
    pfffft...umbrella.....thats for kids! Your red or yellow bandana was just fine.....
    My oncologists said that may have been a factor.......:cool:

8. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Did you also grow up in the Breadbasket Of The World?

9. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    OK, two crop dusting stories. First, I was ballooning early one morning back in the 70's and happened to fly over a small dirt strip that was base for a local dusting operation. Coming back from a run the AgCat pilot decided to circle me as a bit of a wave to a fellow airman. He stood his plane up on end and did a full 360º circle around me. It was very cool; just he and I sharing the sky in that moment.

Second story happened in Mexico, west of Tampico in the early 80's. I had been hired to set up a Hot Air Balloon sewing factory for an advertising agency based in Mexico City. They wanted to build their own envelopes with client logos, colors etc. rather than buy them from the US manufacturers. The cutting room was in a hangar borrower from a large crop dusting operation. There was "dust" everywhere outside where the chemicals were stored and the planes resupplied. There was this German Sheppard wandering about that looked drunk. I later saw him lapping water out of his dog bowel and realized it also was "dusty". After a couple of slurps I watched him have a few seizures, then walk away. Clearly, the chemicals were affecting his brain function. Sad.

10. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Back in 1979, I was driving north on I-5 after having made an overnight stop in Sacramento. About 10 miles north of town, off to the right side of the road well up ahead, I saw an aircraft suddenly pop up from behind the trees, do a hammerhead, and disappear back below the trees. As I got closer I could see that he was dusting crops, going in a direction perpendicular to the road. I kept an eye on him as I passed and then in my rear-view mirror as long as I could. It was a biplane, but I don't remember whether it was a Stearman or an Ag-Cat.

Island Time likes this.
  11. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    That area is rice paddy country and full of crop dusters and mosquitos. I know of three Travel Air ex-crop duster wrecks that came from the Willows/ Williams area that were restored to museum pieces. Some dusters do the hammerhead to turn, others do a sort of wing-over turn. I have seen both. I suppose that the hammerhead keeps you closer to line up on the next row. Got to thinking that when I was a bit younger I used to hand prop a lot of stuff from 36hp Aeroncas to an AT-6 (won a $10.00 bet on that one). Also several rotary's. I have enjoyed some fun days that will no longer happen.

wax likes this.
  12. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Surrounded by "Fresno Indians" and eventually married to one. (fresno indians.....bad jimmy, bad jimmy. get woke)

13. wax

Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Ah, Fresno, home to the prettiest Indians in the USA. Proven fact.

I marched in Selma.

OK, so it was a band competition. A-and it was Selma, CA. A-a-and it was the '70s . . .

tomkatf and tritone like this.
  14. jcurry

jcurry Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 16, 2012
    In the past
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Seen night, as in late night/very early morning, dusting in the Imperial Valley along the Colorado River. All you see is this giant spot light dancing around the sky. Driving late at night with too much caffeine it's sort of a 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' feeling.

15. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    The good old days, when cancer was an astrological sign or a line on a map and everybody had a bottle of carbon tet in the house.

tritone, Island Time and wax like this.
  16. Admiral Goodwrench

Admiral Goodwrench Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    and had lead water pipes in the house and played with mercury and pennies...

then spent 3 months watching nuclear tests from at least three miles and later feeling the heat from two thermonuclear high altitude tests..

then having agent orange exposure during the 375 days in VietNam..

like - what could go wrong?

Only 85 and counting, can't catch Parks!

Life is good!

Best regards,

Robert

tomkatf, rob lay, tritone and 3 others like this.
  17. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Admiral- If we had known we would live this long, we would have taken better care of ourselves.

In the olden days, we used to just dump hydrazine on the ground. That is the best way to get rid of rocket propellant, right?

Gator and Admiral Goodwrench like this.
  18. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Dear Terry,

So true!

The hydrazine dumping brings to memory a high school chem lab experiment which did not go well involving ammonia, bleach and acetone; the resulting combination was supposed to be a homemade brew for a solid rocket fuel. Fortunately the lab teacher had us try this mess outside and we never got past the violent reactive stage. That did not fall in the category of taking better care of ourselves.

Best regards,

Robert

19. Tessy

Tessy Rookie

Jan 27, 2019
    NIceville, Florida
    I got my aerial application license while I was in the military in Bainbridge GA. I worked for EAST supporting Plan Colombia. We sprayed glysophaste from OV10s and Air Tractors. Fun times.

rob lay likes this.
  20. mikeswplt

mikeswplt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2007
    Lago Vista, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Seen this video before. The pilot is John Walton the son of Sam Walton. Died in an ultra light accident 2005 according to Wikipedia.
    Was worth about $18 billion at the time of his death. Led an interesting life.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    WTF!?! That crazy pilot acting like he didn't have a cent to his name was a Billionaire?

22. mikeswplt

mikeswplt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2007
    Lago Vista, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Not when that video was made in the ‘70s. Wikipedia says he got into crop dusting after serving in Viet Nam as green beret
    and awarded Silver Star. See John T Walton.

rob lay likes this.
  23. Gator

Gator Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 29, 2006
    Mesquite, NV
    Full Name:
    Darryl Van Dorn
    Your lab experiment reminded me of my physics experiment. I made a liquid rocket engine. I used a small bottle of compressed air, glass bottle of water in which I put calcium carbide, and tubes with valves that led to a 50 cal. shell. After giving a small lecture on how a rocket engine works, I putting in the calcium carbide, I opened up the two valves and lit the gas coming out of the shell...had a flame about a foot and the shell turned cherry red. Basically it was a blow torch. The class couldn’t get out of the way fast enough. This was in the classroom. Can’t imagine doing that today. This was back in the 50s.

24. Admiral Goodwrench

Mar 2, 2005
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Robert Phillips
    Darryl,

Small wonder that we are still around today!

Best regards

Robert

Gator likes this.
  25. tazandjan

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Having rescued several other students during chem lab experiment explosions/fires, y'all were lucky.

Gator and Admiral Goodwrench like this.