Not real driving gloves maybe but close | FerrariChat

Not real driving gloves maybe but close

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Feb 10, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I owned a few sports cars--gullwing Mercedes, Porsche 356, Ferrari 308GTS and C/4, but seldom did I have the right accoutrements to go with the car. Often the car was gone before I found something to fit the car.
    But one thing I never found (until recently) was stringback driving gloves.

Throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s, racing drivers like Stirling Moss could be seen pulling on his stringback (mesh) driving gloves to protect his palms from wooden steering wheels and keep their hands cool and dry while he thundered to victory. I bought a pair of off white meshbacks but think they will get dirty too quickly. i notice one shot of Moss after he finished a race one formerly white glove had turned black!

Some have a wide open mesh but others seem to have what looks like a solid surface but still is open mesh in the cloth portion enough to breathe. Ideally, they have a short split cuff or I could think a snap fastener would be useful as well.

Perforated leather gloves are another choice. I would think, if there's the slightest chance of fire danger, leather will give you a bit more protection, But they can be hotter during an event. I like to buy ones that match my clothes since you aren't always with your car (though some Sports seem to make a show of leaving their gloves between the seats as testimony to show what sporting chaps they really are).

The sporty car ones have the back open or a large circle open on the back and even the knuckles open. I prefer solid ones so they are not just limited to driving cars . One pair of deerskin gloves I found on the net for only $26 so don't think these should have to cost $100.

In sum, i think driving gloves are a fun accoutrement that can also be used for commuting, though the open back ones look a little boy-racer for that. Any glove is better than nothing--ever have to reach in a hot engine to do something quick?

What say you?

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I don't like wearing gloves, but if I did, those black ones are the ones I would wear. When done driving, I would put them in the glove box.

3. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
  4. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Thanks for the Dents reference. They seem to make great products. I like all things high-British no matter how complicated or onerous (LOL). May I also suggest Ettinger.co.uk for other leather goods for the well dressed man or women (wallets, belts, purses, attache cases...). I love their two-tone colors including the copius use of London tan. I have a keycase from them. I've had a few cashiers' eyes open when I've opened it to pull out a credit card. No one here has seen something like that with the inner surface in tan. A small detail but neat for those in-the-know. Anyhow, back to the subject. I've enjoyed driving gloves when cold out. For me it depends on the rim of the steering wheel. If thick to start with it is a little less comfortable but on a thinner-rimmed wheel it feels just right.

5. Monch

Monch Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2012
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Gloves provide better grip and comfort when driving a classic with a thin, slippery steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    I had my father’s pair that were similar to the first pair with exposed knuckles. I found them a bit too warm for summer driving but perfect for fall driving.

7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Dumb question about stringbacks (but somebody's gotta ask) Why is the cloth a light color? I saw one picture of Stirling Moss after a race where one stringback was dirtied almost black at the end of the race. Wouldn't dark brown or black cloth have been more practical?

8. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    My 348 has an aluminum shift knob. If I park that in the summer sun, driving gloves are essential to be able to touch it!