Bad Boy II 550 and 575 used | FerrariChat

Bad Boy II 550 and 575 used

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by 215MPH, Feb 14, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    As a recent 575 owner I was watching Bad Boys II and to my surprise they used both a 550 and a 575. In many of the screens I noticed that they switch between the 2 models. To the untrained eye you would think it is the same model but it isn’t. The rims are the first give away. Then the next is the scuderia shield is a decal on the 550, but on the 575 it is a true metal shield emblem. Prior to my January 575 purchase, I had see this movie at least 5 times and never noticed this:)

As a car nut I see the inconsistency sometimes in movies that really surprise me.

mrp_e and F456M like this.
  2. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There is a weird job on films that I never understood. Until I got old enough to begin to see these types of things. It's called "Continuity Editor". That person is supposed to make sure this stuff doesn't happen. I've known film buffs who like nothing better than to find these failures.

3. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    I first noticed these vehicle inconsistencies when I saw Wanted, with Angelina driving a Gen 3 Viper; but the interior shot was of a C4 vette. I was cracking up in laughter as that was so obvious and said to myself how could the film management allow that, thinking that they must think the potential audience is stupid.

4. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    The story I recall was the car (not sure if it was 550 or the 575) was the or one of the directors personal vehicles and somehow got added to the film last minute or as an ad lib.

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Catching vehicle model inaccuracies is the domain of enthusiast geeks like us and not the role of continuity editors. The very fact that the OP watched the movie at least 5 times and never caught it till now shows how insignificant it is to most people.

The same thing happened in Beverly Hills Cop 2 where they bounced back and forth between a 308 and 328 in the opening scene. Also in Miami Vice the chase scenes were done in a very obvious Testarossa kit car.

mrp_e likes this.
  6. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    You may know this but the "stunt' TR was a rebodied Pantera

Nuvolari likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    More recently the reborn "Magnum PI" has switched between 488 / 458 spiders (they probably did not find a 488 worth destroying so they used a 458 instead = while the images before destruction show a 488)...

8. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #10 Ferrari55whoa, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    One of my favorites is the original Cannonball Run where Terry Bradshaw drives and then evades police by driving a Hawaiian Tropic Chevy Laguna S3 (which I used to own a ‘75 tribute car of) into a pool and then later when they have the car out and are tuning it I believe they switched to a Monte Carlo.

Pool:

after pool:

i bought this piece of “diorama” art from a modeler on Instagram.

Attached Files:

9. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    I do the same thing with airplane movies. Technical support on those is even worse, like Nieuport 17s (early 1917) fighting with Fokker Dr.I Triplanes (early 1918).

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    They even added noise from a 355 in certain scenes (most notably the chase scene)

11. white out

white out Formula 3

Mar 3, 2010
    The 'hero' car is a 575M and the 550 is used for bridge scene and some chase clips. Given the film came out when the 575M was on sale it makes since. But since Bruckheimer had to use his 964T for the first movie, I see why he wanted his personal car used in BB2. Was a let down to see a base 992 used in the current movie.

Doc Brown, Bruce Wayne and Mike Lowrey walk into a bar...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This has been discussed before at least 5 times :p:D
    Apparently the reason was that the stuntman driving the car was more comfortable driving a manual which is why the 550 was used in the chase scenes.

13. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    If you really want to get technical there were 3 Ferrari’s used in the chase scene if you include the CGI one :D

14. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @white out Saw the delorean on Instagram this weekend, talk about awesome and rowdy with the engine swap!

white out likes this.
  15. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    in Miami Vice, they also used about five different boats! My friend has one that was supposedly one of them! Scarab 38 KV!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Not that they are stupid, but that for the purpose of telling a story with film, it doesn’t matter. Just like a spaghetti western doesn’t have to be in the Alamo, and can in fact be in souther Italy. Still great stories and movies. And in fact somehow made better for the ADD kids who spot that stuff.

Nuvolari likes this.
  17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Excellent point. I don't know the first thing about boats and it never occurred to me that they used different Scarabs even though it is the most obvious conclusion to assume. Sometimes we really get caught up on the details of stuff we know about and it is best to have that innocent ignorance which is often bliss.

F456M likes this.
  18. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    But isn't the Miami Vice premise that all of these vehicles were confiscated, so it would make sense that they may be different; as they would have an open lot of different vehicles to choose from at anytime.

19. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Can you please explain that more in detail?

20. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Miami Vice the characters were NARCOs (Crocket/Tubs), so the vehicles, boats and cars were all acquires through confiscation from drug dealer at various times. So it would make sense that they could switch up when needed. The Testarossa was acquired through a drug bust.

F456M likes this.
  21. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Yes but not different from scene to scene.

22. 215MPH

215MPH Karting

Jun 26, 2007
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Good Point:)

Nuvolari likes this.
  23. Vilhuer

Vilhuer Karting

Aug 3, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    In some Bad Boys II driving scenes rear suspension has some metal bar thing added in. Probably to limit wheel movement in violent maneuvers.

There were several boats used in Miami Vice. There were also replica model made and sold to public which has very similar color theme as few boats used. Many boats now that are said to be from show are actually just these replicas. There are probably ten times more said be from show than what was actually used.