430 - Scissor Lifts | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 Scissor Lifts

Discussion in '360/430' started by kromberg, Jan 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I was thinking it would be pretty easy to use on my 4-post lift, but might not have wanted to admit that. Thanks for validating my crazy idea!

Fly fast and take chances

AandSC and janmante like this.
  2. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    uh, i do NOT think it is proper to use one quick jack for the front and one for the rear ! and if I recall correctly, it is specifically NOT recommended in the owners manual

Ray Smith likes this.
  3. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    i do NOT think it is proper to use one quick jack for the front and one for the rear ! and if I recall correctly, it is specifically NOT recommended in the owners manual

4. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I wasn’t the one who said that, and I I agree - bad idea. I just ordered mine and I plan to use it on my 4-post lift like a couple of the other folks have done in their pics. Image Unavailable, Please Login

janmante likes this.
  5. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have a four post lift and got the sliding jacks and now i think I should have use the money for quick jacks instead

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

SingleClutch likes this.
  6. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Do both! The 4-post is awesome for oil changes, etc., but doesn’t help when you need to remove the wheels. If you get quickjack you can put them ON the lift.

janmante and flash32 like this.
  7. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Yes, but I do not see the attraction of four post lifts ! except for easy storage ! i would go w/ Asymmetrical arm , 2 post lifts ! you can store on them too !

Ray Smith and SingleClutch like this.
  8. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Not long-term though, if you leave the suspension dangling for long periods on just about any vehicle it's quite detrimental. For short-term (maybe a couple weeks at most) it would probably be okay, but beyond that I'd go four-post if storage was the goal.

janmante and Flea7 like this.
  9. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    A pair of those sliding jacks are sometimes more than the 4 post lift. That's why I went with the quick jacks. ....but i'm sure you have a nicer set up!

flash32 likes this.
  10. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    When I said I used hockey pucks ...I didn't mean actual hockey pucks. I have the rubber jack pads shaped like a puck. Don't use actual hockey pucks...LOL.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Do you have a link to amazon since there are a few different ones .. were they then 10oz ones

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

12. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    If you would be so kind as to indicate the page number where that positioning is not recommended.

Thank you.

Ray

13. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    uh ok can you explain your rationale why wheels just dangling on the bottom of suspension travel on a 2 post lift would be detrimental ? I can see great advantages like you would not be compressing, wearing out the springs ! so they would be LESS likely to sack out than if left compressed w/ weight on them !
    the suspension would just be at the end of travel against stops. it is difficult to see why a suspension w/ ZERO load on it would be a bad thing !

14. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    It's not designed to remain on either extreme of travel for extended periods of time. sitting neutral induces far less stress than being at full extension or compression. If you have a full race car with all spherical bearings instead of rubber or poly bushings, then you can probably get away with it more safely/lower risk of damage from long-term dangly-doos. But with rubber bushings especially, instead of the force being distributed equally around the circumference, you're compressing the top of each bushing and pulling at the bottom of each, resulting in quicker fatigue and more frequent changes.

janmante likes this.
  15. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    #40 Manda racing, Feb 14, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Image Unavailable, Please Login I’ve gotten to the point where I do a two step process.

i floor Jack up one rear side at a time/ slide wheel ramp under and then get the other side and then crawl under car and drop the belly pan. Like Normal Guy does.

Then I get car back on ground before
    Messing around trying to drive it onto 2-2x12’s to put it on the mid-lift. PITA 1st world problems. :)

Ray Smith and janmante like this.
  16. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Yes i did similar but as i recall , I just used the ramps, placed them backward after it was up in the air via the quick jacks then lowered it to the ramps and left the lowered Quick jack in place , took out the cover ! My ramps are tall enough. once in place , to get under there w/ out the QJ raising the car up .

Tulsa328 likes this.
  17. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    OK well i am still skeptical as you would only have the weight of the wheels, tires, suspension on those bushings as opposed to the whole car weight if the car was resting on the tires but i see your point !
    A good question though ! i will ask Hill Engineeering , Et all ! report back ! i have no problem giving full credit and saying so if someone is correct ! Thank you !

Ray Smith likes this.
  18. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante

OK well i am still skeptical as you would only have the now unsprung weight of the wheels, tires, suspension on those bushings as opposed to the whole car weight if the car was resting on the tires but i see your point !
    A good question though ! i will ask Hill Engineeering , Et all ! report back ! i have no problem giving full credit and saying so if someone is correct ! Thank you !

19. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Upon further review, and although the owner's manual does not prohibit it or even mention it, I agree with you. I saw a video (do you think I can locate it now? No) of a 430 owner who used that technique. That is where I got the notion. I never have used that position, but your response made me curious so I did a little math to see what a side-ways shift would do. The jacks when positioned with the front behind the front wheels produces a longitudinal shift towards the front of the jack ― not the car ― and when positioned perpendicular to the longitudinal axis, the shift will be to the right or left ― depending on which direction the Quick Jack front is facing.

Computing the CG from available SWAGS I determined that the jack will work like that, but the car will be precariously off center when it shifts. The first lift position might be okay (i.e., safe) I doubt the full lift position would be.

So my conclusion is you are correct. And thank you for pointing that out.

Ray

janmante likes this.
  20. janmante

janmante Karting
    BANNED

Jan 9, 2021
    Full Name:
    jan mante
    Thank you !
    OMG there are such brilliant minds on this forum ! I suppose I did not read it then but my spidey sense made a loud recording playing in my head of the lost in space robot saying "danger Will Robinson " LOL
    As I said I do raise it up on the QJ's and put drive up ramps ( backward ) under the wheels , lower it, loosen the undertray bolts , remove the cover ,raise it up again and so i had to mark 1 eyeball the angle of the dangle to guestimate the approach angle and resting place as it lowers onto the ramps !
    I am making an old fashioned pit where you walk downstairs and can work on the car from underneath standing up ! w/ that and the QJ's and floor jacks and some electric screw jacks , I will be will be set until we build a garage w/ enough height for a 2 post lifts !

Manda racing likes this.
  21. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    AandSC, armedferret and Flea7 like this.