Fire Extinguisher | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fire Extinguisher

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2012-458, Mar 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #26 Doug_S, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    The fire ex is an affection. It is like putting a parachute on the back of a muscle car. Or a hobby bicyclist wearing a jersey covered with advertisements like a professional racer. Or a hobby racer putting race product stickers all over his ride as if he were being paid for advertising. I love it. If it makes you feel cool, why not. Women copy the clothes of starlets and feel great. Men copy the clothes of stars and feel empowered. One time I took my 360 to Lime Rock for an FCA event and I drove home with the numbers on the side of my car. I loved it - should have kept them longer. My car was a track car. I had the chops to drive on a track.

2. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    You are of course entitled to your opinion, Doug, but I think you are completely wrong. By the way, its "affectation."

3. Doug_S

Doug_S Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2007
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    #28 Doug_S, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    But my subjunctive case was right? Of course it is just an opinion, never meant it for anything more. If no one could post an opinion there would be a darth (dark lord of the Sith Order) of comments.

Actually too harsh, you did not say anything against my posting an opinion, you just disagreed. Respect that.

4. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Probably, Doug. English is a 2nd language to me, so sorry for the correction.

5. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    #30 abstamaria, Mar 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. Entropy

Entropy Formula 3
    Owner

Jul 10, 2008
    Someone can correct or expand on this, but I believe some countries in the Middle East, Asia and even the EU require a fire extinguisher (and a spare tire, first aid kit, triangle reflector. safety vest, et al), hence many European cars offer factory options.

For people who DE their cars, many organizers encourage, or require, a "properly mounted" extinguisher on board.

Realistically, an hand-held extinguisher will be of marginal value for anything but a minor fire; that's why (sanctioned) race cars often have fully plumbed, large-capacity fire systems covering the cockpit, engine compartment and fuel cell (note the word "cell", not "tank"). Also, the purpose is not to "save the car" (though it can), but to allow extra time to get the occupants out. (there are also external triggers).

However, stuff happens, having a bit of safety gear is usually better than having none, especially if there are lives or injuries at stake....

BTW the seat-rail mounting works great. You can have your upholstery shop make a nice cover so it looks nicer and is more comfortable. Just make sure it's installed properly, otherwise you'll have a 3kg metal missile inside the car in an impact.

7. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    Yes, you are right, Entropy. There is a similar pitch, well grounded, in the 206/246 forum for a plumbed-in system. I had plumbed-in systems for my Lotus Elan, which I raced, and also my Lotus 23. I'd like to do that for my 246, even if just for the engine compartment (but that's for another forum).

Best,

Andres

8. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Andres, do you have a fire extinguisher in your stratos?

9. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    LMAO

as silly as i think it is, given the fire reports on early italias i won't make a joke

in fact it might be a good idea if you don't have one already in your home

10. abstamaria

abstamaria F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2006
    Full Name:
    Andres
    I do, Nikolay. I posted a photo for you in the 206/246 forum so as not to derail this thread.

Regards,

Andres

11. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Agree fully with this ... as a rally official I followed some courses on fire problems. Worked on real wrecks ... :)

Your extinguisher will not stop / prevent a petrol burn in the car at all ... it's expensive make-up imo.

12. Zaid A

Zaid A Rookie

Nov 30, 2017
    Hi,

I really like the way your Fire Extinguisher look, who makes it and where can I find one please.

Thanks,
    Zaid

Punyapas likes this.
  13. Ferrari1221

Ferrari1221 Karting

Jan 14, 2017
    My understanding is that, for example in the F430 Spider, the hydraulic lines that feed the Spider Convertible top, were affected by heat from the headers. Over time, and not a lot of time was needed, the hoses would spawn a leak which would spray onto the headers which, due to the how hot our engines run, we have seen the orange light from them at night, would burst into flames.

As a result Ferrari came out with an aluminum tray that fit under the convertible top hoses to prevent leaks from falling on top of the hot headers.

Even if it is rare, standing aside watching such a small initial fire turn into one which consumes my car without a fire extinguisher that could have easily prevented it is not a day I want to happen... I would much rather have my car on a tow truck headed home because of a small fire than to the junk yard.

14. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Agreed, most fires start small and are easily contained if you have the correct tools available. With limited space in a Ferrari cabin having a big bottle can be cumbersome and putting an extinguisher in the frunk looses too much time in an emergency. Luckily our Element Fire Extinguisher is small enough to fit in the glovebox of a modern Ferrari and will discharge for 5 times longer than a traditional fire extinguisher without making any mess to clean up.

Better still its MADE IN ITALY just down the road from Pininfarina :)

More info available at www.elementfire.com

Image Unavailable, Please Login

MANDALAY and Art138 like this.
  15. Art138

Art138 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 22, 2007
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Ditto: The OEM fire extinguisher on my Scud lasted only three years and quickly became dead weight. Great to see alternatives.

16. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Only USA and Canada, how about Australia ?

17. Tito1969

Tito1969 Karting

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Tito Kabir
  18. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    Correct. Element is a brand exclusive to North and South America. It is sold under different brands in other parts of the world but is the same product. In the UK is is Fire Safety Stick and in Australia it is Fire Stryker

19. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    In France a fire extinguisher is required for some track days.
    Mine is an FIA approved one :p, installation uses existing screw holes on the central tunnel, and longer screws.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login