Monospeccio/Monodado or 512 TR? | FerrariChat

Monospeccio/Monodado or 512 TR?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 66MK, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Hi,
    Had an Aston for ages but I've always had a Testarossa itch to scratch!! I've been looking for an '86 RHD Mono wheels and mirror with an eye to long term value (it helps with the man maths) and sadly just missed out on what may well have been a really good one - deal agreed just the day before I found it!

Question is, should I continue to wait it out for the right '86 model at the right price, or should I expand my search to include the later models at the same price (circ 100k) bearing in mind thise longer term equations need to balance a bit!

Thoughts?

2. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    That is really a decision for you only to make since you have to live with the purchase. The single nut pre 88-1/2 model guys love their cars.
    I have had a single nut and 5 lug and would prefer the 5 lug later model year cars but if your heart is on the 86 then wait it out. Looking is more
    fun anyway.

3. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I had an 88 1/2 TR thought it was great. If you’ve ever driven a car with only a single mirror, it’s scary. My 308 was like that.
    Also the single lug as opposed to the five is problematic. Don’t ever get a flat tire out on the road. Meanwhile read up about all the improvements made to the 88 1/2 model, and make your own choice.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for that. Slightly worried they might creep out of range before I find one!! Heart isn’t set, but I’m not in the ‘buying a Ferrari has no financial impact’ bracket, so I do need to get it right! I’d hate to by a 5 lug two wing mirror for similar money to a single mirror centre lock and then see the singles leap ahead in price!! Then again, I totally missed Bitcoin tripling!!

5. 66MK

66MK Karting

Nov 1, 2020
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Really appreciate that, thank you.

6. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Mono spec have never been more valuable that the later cars in my memory. I have been following TR's for the past 15 years!

sherrillt likes this.
  7. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    For the longest time, the monospeccio cars were less valuable simply because they were the older and therefore more depreciated examples. I think it was 3-4 months ago someone posted here the FML values, and the monospeccio cars were higher priced on average.

8. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    depends on what your intended use is, but the 512tr is the best in the line.

66MK and sherrillt like this.
  9. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    If you want to drive it take a TR M. Rare and best to drive. Mono specio is nice for collectors

10. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I've put 20,000 miles on my monospecchio in the last 6 years since I got it. That includes these Michigan winters in which its stored for a few months.

66MK and campbell360 like this.
  11. campbell360

campbell360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2009
    Michiana
    Full Name:
    Doug
    If you make it over to the west side with your TR let me know. I'd love to meet up for pics with my 89.