458 - How difficult to sell a Yellow 458 Spider? | FerrariChat

458 How difficult to sell a Yellow 458 Spider?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by intownrunner, Feb 11, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I have been looking at Yellow 458 spiders for my first Ferrari.

I have heard Yellow can take longer to sell. How true is this?

The salesperson at the dealer said this but I am concerned he we thinking more about his task of selling a yellow car and not as much about how I really like the Giallo Modena color.

I figure if I am going to spend the money on a Ferrari, I want it to be awesome! and in my opinion, awesome is yellow, black interior, black wheels, and stripes. A close second is red with a black interior.

I know there are fewer yellow spiders out there, will that make the prices higher or lower than similar spec'd cars in different colors?

Thanks!

anunakki likes this.
  2. BruceC

BruceC Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2018
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe not helpful, but I've been shopping and keeping track of a few car models that I'm interested in and on the "used" market don't see a real impact on pricing at least, relative to color - even when it comes to the ubiquitous "Ferrari Resale Red." While certain popular colors do tend to sell more quickly, I'm personally not a fan of following the herd and get much more pleasure from having car that appeals to me personally and isn't likely to have its twin parked beside me at a C&C.

I did test drive this Solarbeam Yellow AMG GTR - Pro back in Oct in spite of my desire to find one in Brilliant Blue. I liked it much more than expected and was ready to move on it, but the MB dealer wasn't interested in taking an F430 Spider in trade. I kept track of the AMG noting that it shuffled through 3 other dealers, prices fluctuating from $210k - $179k over a 6 month period before it disappeared, presumably sold (interestingly, the $210k price was the most recent!?). That's a fair amount of effort to sell a low mileage limited production AMG Pro that at $179k was very attractively priced.

While that might seem discouraging, I would still personally always buy what appeals to me and if I ever happen to find the AMG Pro in Brilliant Blue (another rare and less popular color), I would jump on it if I had the opportunity.

[...loved the color - picture doesn't do it justice - wasn't sure I'd keep the "boy racer" graphics though]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Need4Spd likes this.
  3. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  4. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I would always be a buyer for a nicely spec’ed yellow exotic (my Lamborghini is yellow pearl metallic).

5. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    love yellow had a 355 360 and 430 all yellow and looks great on a 458

jm2 likes this.
  6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Mikael-F360, SoftwareDrone and jm2 like this.
  7. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    To the OP.....yellow is one of the best Ferrari colors and has been prominent on their cars since the early days. More recently triple yellow has been one of the launch colors for the 458 Speciale Aperta, the F12tdf, and the 812SF. I’m sure the factory puts a lot of thought into launch colors for their cars. Also, yellow is the official color of Modena and why it is in the background of their shields.

I have a triple yellow 458 Spider and specifically wanted that color.

8. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    i dont see any issues with yellow. love the 458 spider in yellow

Boomhauer, Spezia and jm2 like this.
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    The F8 Spider was also launched in the Tri-Coat Yellow.

italiafan likes this.
  10. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    A yellow 458 spider is my dream car.

11. I hate yellow cars

430jm, BruceC and jm2 like this.
  12. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    the guy who was trying to sell you a yellow car told you yellow cars are hard to sell? sounds like a invitation for a lowball offer. Or maybe he's just a poor salesman and has trouble selling cars of any color?

13. jdlegg

jdlegg Karting

Dec 22, 2009
    Bryan
    Full Name:
    James D
    I've owned 4 F-cars - 1 white, 2 yellow and now a blue. Never had an issue selling any of them.

14. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    yellow looks good on 458, dont think it will affect the price. If anything might be a premium since it's striking to look at in person (my buddy's yellow). too many reds around

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Here's a way to logically eliminate this myth.

Original owners chose the colors, not Ferrari or its dealers. Therefore the percentage of people who selected yellow in the first place should be the same percentage of people who would like it today in the used market. Yellow didn't suddenly "go out of fashion". Its timeless.

So it should be no more difficult to sell than any other standard color as long as the interior combination appears to fit with the exterior color. In a sea of red cars, some look for something unique.

anunakki, Spezia and jm2 like this.
  16. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    jm2 likes this.
  17. pninja005

pninja005 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    Europe
    I love yellow cars!

pilotoCS likes this.
  18. 45800

45800 Rookie

Aug 29, 2020
    Full Name:
    Sah
    My brother has red 488 and I have yellow 458
    Yellow 458 grabs more attention than 488
    I am sure it has to do with the color.

19. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
  20. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Super cars by definition, attract attention due to their bold appearance. Basic colors- black, white and shades of grey, represent 95% of regular cars sold. All the reason to avoid those colors when purchasing a super car.

Boomhauer, Solid State and ScrappyB like this.
  21. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    I was told that same myth way back when I bought my second Ferrari in 77 which was a fly yellow 308 from Cressman in Lauderdale. When I was just thinking of selling it as I was buying a new 512 BBi a fellow just walked into my Office and asked if I'd be interested in selling yellow 308 as he had seen it around town a few times. Sold it on the spot. No it was not difficult to sell & yes top dollar!

22. intownrunner

intownrunner Rookie

Jan 13, 2021
    Full Name:
    Steven
    To all THANKS SO MUCH for the info!

Going into this purchase I wanted to focus on what I liked best and not be so worried about the resale.
    As I mentioned before, I want this car to be everything a supercar should be.
    What would the 10-year-old in me think is the best. :)

As I looked at more and more cars they yellow kept standing out. Now it is my favorite.

So for me, I will be looking for a well optioned yellow 458 spider.

I hope to have it purchased in the next 1 to 3 months.

Thanks Again!

italiafan and jm2 like this.
  23. Spezia

Spezia Karting

Dec 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    John Weires
    It may take a little longer to find a buyer for a yellow car, but unless one is in a hurry to sell it, I don't think a yellow car would bring any less than a similar car spec wise.

Personally I like the specific yellow hues available on Ferrari's. I ended up with a 458 in Grigio Titanio for a variety of reasons including logistics, interior and options etc. For some the level of attention you get in yellow or red might be more than they want. Some days I wish I would have gone bolder on the color but
    Titanio looks great too and is easier to keep clean.

Although I'm also a Porsche guy, I'm not wild about their current standard exterior paint they call Racing Yellow. It's a bit fluorescent and harsh looking to me particularly in bright light. So not all yellow's are created equal.

jehu999, BruceC and jm2 like this.
  24. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    One doesn't buy a yellow Ferrari convertible if one wants to keep a low profile. :rolleyes:
    Just sayin'

Boomhauer, BruceC and intownrunner like this.
  25. Stams

Stams Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 30, 2020
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Sean
    This is YOUR Ferrari dream! Get what your mind thinks, your heart feels and your soul connects with.

Giallo is it.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

jm2 likes this.