Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates | Page 15 | FerrariChat

Virginia goes after Out-of-State License Plates

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic Region - USA (PA, DE, MD, DC, VA)' started by toggie, Aug 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Sounds like you have ND plates. Correct?

If the trucks have a local Virginia town and phone number, someone might put 2 and 2 together. Or if one of the drivers is stopped for some reason? A 1-800 number and a generic name or plain white paint job might be the way to continue incognito. You are likely justified (not an attorney) that the ND corporation is the owner and lessor if the thing goes to court, but Virginia is looking for any to tax anything that rolls. Suggest reading the regs closely; there might be something about where a vehicle is garaged overnight.

2. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Any updates on court cases in VA challenging this nonsense?

3. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/nova-loudoun-county-tax-assessment.624235/page-3#post-147699459

If a neighborhood Karen drops a dime on you, Virginia will send a State Trooper by your home. The main issue for Virginia is where is the car garaged. It is Virginia law that a vehicle garaged in the State for more than 180 days......has to be registered in Virginia. If you think that an LLC will protect you from that......good luck. Once Karen makes the compliant, she is eligible for a payout from the fines and taxes you did not pay.

They can even impound the car until they determine who owns it if you say: "I don't own it......a Montana LLC owns it".

As to whether you can get away with it for a while.....probably. But if they catch you.........Karen gets rich.

4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    If you're driving license does not match the registration, you got some splainin' to do Lucy.

5. fedcoin

fedcoin Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 11, 2017
  6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD

Hands down one of the greatest radio personalities of all time. Damn shame the "thought police" caught up with him and got him cancelled.

7. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    you have got to be kidding me.....I have trucks on the road and they are owned by one of my companies and definitely not in the same name as the driver.. so that does not work ... these are titled in VA.. but where I live we have military which can register in their home state so about 50% of the vehicles are titled in other states from all over the place...

8. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Okay. The topic is exotic cars, so . . . . . sheesh.

9. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    actually the title of this thread clearly says nothing about exotics and the post of yours I quoted clearly doe not mention exotic cars my point is you are wrong in your post number 354 .that I quoted post number 354 ... sheesh

10. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    Full Name:
    Willis
    The fact that it's Ferrari Chat is just incidental?.

11. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I guess so ... but if you see post a couple above yours it was talking about trucks ... the thing is you are wrong in your post 354... I don't care but you seem to

12. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    The issue is no one will hassle a truck driver because they just assume you’re a business and get little scrutiny. In a Ferrari or other exotic, they will unfortunately draw more scrutiny and questions on validity of certain things like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    so you have experienced this along with pilot Cs.. if so ok but I have not seen that to be true in VA/