car design thread | Page 462 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Some of those are great fun, some not so much.
    But I applaud their creativity.

anunakki likes this.
  2. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    jm2 likes this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  5. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I saw the Super Bowl commercial for a 2023 Cadillac Lyric. Go to Goolde and look for
    Will Ferrell Super Bowl Ad - General Motors [2021]

My calendar only covers 2021 so I was a bit surprised to see them plugging a car that won't be orderable until fall '22. As a sometimes auto critic (radio show) I have this reaction and would like to hear from designers how off base I am. And don't hold back the brickbats(whatever those are...)

Here's my take:

FRONT Very strong sculptural feel, with big scoops. I know electric cars don't need grilles cavities per se but at least the prototype has a simulated grille and cross hatch mesh, though in some pictures it's almost blacked out. Having that area blacked out gives you some re-assurance it's a car, whereas Tesla more boldly has a blank front look,i.e. "we don't need no stinkin' grille." The dimmer lit up grille surround I am not sure I like --should the lights be stronger or weaker--but in these days when you only have a second to give an impression so at least this car will say "I'm a Cadillac and proud of it"

SIDE Very strong form not detracted from by many different conflicting sculptural shapes. Thin blade door handles good answer to Tesla (seems like I had those on my '54 300SL)Rear wheel wells are almost absurdly cut too high for a family car. Wheels too tall (maybe only in prototype) reminding me those thin section height tires don't like potholes. I am hoping with a strong shape they get copyists like the latest Explorer now looks side view like a range Rover.

REAR
    Again very strong. Vertical thin blade-shape running lights again a recurring Cadillac theme. The blade like lights are slanted inward at the bottom, don't know why couldn't have been vertical(unless that reminds you too much of older Caddies) . I like the double protection with the extra lights above the trunk lid but don't know if those are running light, brake lights or signal lamps.

INTERIOR Gauge nacelle reminds me of good old '70 1/ Pontiac Trans Am in binnacle shape. Dash not overly dominant like Teslas that say "I'm all electric-- get used to it" Can't figure out PR shot that shows no seams for folding rear seat--can you order it without a rear seat? Then what happens to the rear console?

Question: Why are they showing it so far ahead of time--doesn't this give the competition time to clone its design cues?
    Commercial comment: I too was shocked hen i saw Norway buys more electric cars per capita than the US . What about the nay-sayers that say electric cars can't take bad weather?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

anunakki, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Lyric seems to have some interesting details. But and there is always a but the drawing showing the front didn't evolve into a pleasing production version. All those big gaping hole vents in the front look like a consumer version 'wood chipper' and should have yellow safety tape around them. The drawing had a much better solution. Fix the front and lose those extra lights at the back corners up on the sail panel and A+ for this design.

jm2 likes this.
  7. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    Why is it the concept drawings always look better (except for he original Mangusta...)

of2worlds likes this.
  8. VigorousZX

VigorousZX Formula Junior

Aug 17, 2011
    If it looked too good people would try to maintain it for many years to come thus reduce new car sales. I photoshoped the sketch into the production version.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

energy88, anunakki and of2worlds like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great skill there, thank you!

VigorousZX likes this.
  10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  11. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  12. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner

A couple of thoughts on your question (as I'm not entirely sure my answers are correct!) -

Norway, electric cars, & bad weather: First, Norway (nor EU countries in general) isn't particularly large so range is not as problematic, and I suspect that given the uptake, charging is more readily available. Secondly, Norway offers very large subsidies to buyers of Ecars.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  14. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I think it depends. :)

Art communicates an emotion or an idea, whereas objects that are primarily neat solutions to a practical problem are merely elegant feats of engineering (see many German executive cars). The practical design of the minivan or camper van is never going to be considered art, although it might be a culturally representative of a particular era and feature in other works of art (e.g. VW Camper van and hippies). Impractical cars in sporting categories are not necessarily art. Take a look at the very high performance example of the Gumpert Apollo - a great feat of engineering and very, very quick, but it's not beautiful and isn't art.

A car that is art is not necessarily fast (but it can be), is not necessarily practical (but it can be), not necessarily well-made (but you hope it will be), and not necessarily a great drive (but certainly can be). A car that is art is beautiful, breathtaking to behold, stirs your emotions (even when it's stationary), and lingers in your mind for days, weeks, months, and years after you've first seen it. The comment from the article about the perceivers affective response to the perceptual experience seems to be a more intellectual way to articulate that same concept. :)

By modern standards, the 348 is slow, impractical, and maintenance-intensive. There are cheaper, faster, more aerodynamic, more economical, more reliable, more practical, more durable, safer, and more technologically advanced cars to be had in the modern car market. And yet, those modern alternatives don't strike me as art. The 348 is art... to me. :cool:

All the best,
    Andrew.

15. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Couldn't have said it better myself, Andrew.
    My personal opinion notwithstanding, I believe the author is full of it.
    I do believe a car can be considered art, but his lecture was way too over my head to be meaningful. Verbose?
    And art is indeed in the eye of the beholder, as well as beauty.
    As long as you appreciate the 348, that's all that matters to you. Enjoy it.

anunakki and NeuroBeaker like this.
  16. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  17. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Tenney, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  18. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Perfect! I wondered if Tenney was being subtle or...

1967 Catalina convertible

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Tenney likes this.
  21. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Spent a significant amount of time deezining Pontiacs. Great memories.
    And no, had no involvement with the Aztek!

Just in case you were curious.......

tritone, Tenney and of2worlds like this.
  23. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I recall that point was emphatically made on several occasions. Fear not, the Aztek won't besmirch your exemplary record. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.