What watch are you wearing today? | Page 621 | FerrariChat

What watch are you wearing today?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by VTChris, Sep 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    I have become covidelirious. I have to start searching for an Accutron Spaceview, now. lol

What is that other disc in the back? I know one is the battery compartment. Is the other to set the time?

2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yep, there is a ring that pops out so you can grab it and turn it.
    I’ll try to remember to get mine out of the safe tomorrow and take a picture of it for you

3. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Yes the other is to set the time. You flip up a loop that you can then grab and twist. The later movements had a standard crown but at the 4:00 position.
    Once you have one you can't stop. I might look for an Accutron Astronaut. It comes in black or white face, steel or gold cased. It has a 24 hour hand so similar to a GMT master. It has a rotating bezel. It's got a neat look. I believe the width for most of these are 35 mm which is slightly small but as the early cases are thick/stand tall they have some presence to them....

4. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Please do!

5. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
  6. Camp Freddie

Camp Freddie Karting

Oct 19, 2015
    London, Doha, Beirut
    How does it wear? Does it feel bigger than 41mm? A friend of mine in the UK is looking to move his white ceramic w/diamond bezel - yes I know I am in the throes of a mid-life crisis - and I interested in it but struggling to find one here to try for the size, I have large(r) wrists so normally anything less than 42mm looks small

7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As promised here is my 10kt 1969 cal. 214 Accutron Spaceview with the factory croc strap.

They were never meant to be sold looking like this, although most of them were. The dealers were supposed to put one in the window looking just like this so customers passing by could see there were no wheels or gears, just electronics. If someone wanted to buy one the dealer was supposed to install a face or dial on it for the customer. So many people wanted the exposed version that it became the standard through the mid 1970's.

On July 20th of 1969 an Accutron Spaceview 214 movement was left on the surface of the moon, in the Sea of Tranquility, by the Apollo 11 astronauts.

In 1967 the selling price of a Rolex 5512 Submariner was $252. In 1969 the price of an Accutron ranged from $200 for a stainless steel version with a stainless bracelet to $349 for the 10kt gold version with a crocodile strap.

So! Here are the promised pictures of my Accutron and just to keep with the theme today I'm wearing my 1967 5512 Sub.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

jacey, motts, Boomhauer and 8 others like this.
  8. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson

Check out this guy's site. He fixes all of my Accutrons. He has quite a few for sale.

mybob.net

9. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Yep that’s cool.

Give you $50 bucks for it!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk no

10. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
  11. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
  12. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    That’s a cool watch. The star effect is neat

ronfrohock likes this.
  13. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
  14. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Been sitting on my ass all day, so I put my Topper LE Prospex on as it felt like what I'd rock if I chose to be active ... I can feel the calories burning away just wearing it.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

moto5127, TWK, Camp Freddie and 2 others like this.
  15. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Me too. They’re just like the ones on my (real) White Gold Night/Day Reverso.

Matt

jacey, mmyhorses, TWK and 8 others like this.
  16. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    #15516 WPOZZZ, Feb 10, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    Dave, that is a very nice watch. However, your new avatar is quite distracting. Thank you for showing the pop-up on the Accutron. In 1969, I was 4 years old.

Freddie, I have a 7" wrist and I think the watch wears well. IMHO, not too big at all. However, the watch is a little thick at 15mm, and heavier than expected for something called Superleggera.

Camp Freddie likes this.
  17. QtrItalian

QtrItalian Karting

Jan 22, 2021
    Hi I have to respectfully disagree. I actually sent mine to Bob. He put a crystal on which was the wrong size (glued it and it was 0.4 mm too small - a huge gap) instead of press-fitting a correct and waterproof Armour crystal, he bent my hour hand on the hub, he did not have the crystal aligned and the watch was running 8 seconds fast (nowhere near Accutron specs). What's worse is when I stupidly sent it back to him again it came back with essentially all faults in place. I am floored. either he's an incompentant boob or was smoking crack or both. Never again! I get it that Accutrons require special tools and expertise (which I don't have yet but otherwise I do most of my repairs) but he does not have the latter. Two of his mistakes are unforgivable and would never be done by someone even with 3 years' training let alone the 20 years he states he has. Sorry but no!

18. F12finally

F12finally Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2020
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Robinson
    I have had good luck with him so far. Sorry to hear about your issues. Do you have another go to Accutron guy?

19. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I need to buy some legit Accutron batteries; my stash is gone.

20. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I have the same Accutron. I love its hum. But it’s so tiny in size to 21st Century eyes.

Matt

moto5127 likes this.
  21. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Jaeger LeCoultre makes the most finely fished watches for the money, 9n my opinion.

My geophraphique below. No, not mine but mine looks just like it.

Matt

Robb, jacey, Island Time and 6 others like this.
  22. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Can I get a new stainless Memovox with a black dial? I love the JLC black dials.

I'll check with my dealer tomorrow or this weekend. But if you know, let me know. I know I can get a Polaris, but that's different.

Matt

23. poljav

poljav F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Pol J.
    Every time that Daytona gets posted, I swear it gets that much harder to resist and just bite the bullet, buy at current prices! :confused:

Gorgeous watch!

moto5127, Boomhauer and Camp Freddie like this.
  24. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, @cwilson13 is an ass. He posts those photos just to screw with guys like us who aren’t members of the club.

Boomhauer, TWK, poljav and 1 other person like this.
  25. moto5127

moto5127 Karting

Jul 23, 2018

So I found a brown leather strap. This is a PAM0184, only came with a black leather, and rubber strap. The called it the PAM logo. Homage to the 1940’s original luminor. I def could use some back up from hardcore PAM guys. Truly happy with my purchase. Cheers!

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

technom3, Boomhauer, Roman456 and 4 others like this.