328 trunk dent | FerrariChat

328 trunk dent

Discussion in '308/328' started by Stenley, Feb 8, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    Hi everyone - found a hard-to-believe-its-there dent on the rear drivers side quarter panel of my 328. I don't park the car in public, it lives almost exclusively in my garage when its not being driven. Instead of a door ding dent that would push the ding INTO the body, this dent appears to have come from inside the car out. After being stumped by this, I think the dent has come from the tool roll (or more specifically the heavy jack) sliding agains the trunk wall with enough force to actually make a ding out. Has anyone else heard of this happening? I'm heartbroken....

2. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
    Yikes sorry to hear this happened. Sounds like you’re driving like it should be tho. I know it won’t help now after the fact, but there should be hooks/straps to hold the tool roll down so it should not move, on my 328 (euro), it was behind the center section, on my current 308 it’s on one the right side. I remember reading that some cars don’t seem to have the hooks for the straps?

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Basal Skull

Basal Skull Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 26, 2010
    Vancouver BC
  4. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
    thanks for this - just checked and my trunk does not have the straps. Its a USA 1989 GTS. The carpet in the trunk is spotless and looks brand new, so wondering if it has been replaced at some point and if they took the straps out when they did it. Of course, the whole car is pretty spotless, so maybe it just never had the trunk straps. Oh well. The tool kit will now live where it should - safely in a drawer in the garage. And i have to find a good ding guy...

5. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Ive got the best ding guy in the country

PM me and I will give you his info, hes in Los Angeles, does all my bikes when needed and my 89 328 He will come to you, Im telling you, his work is almost magical , I kid you not

Thank you

6. Sigmacars

Sigmacars Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Toronto
    I always keep both tool rolls in the front left and right of the spare wheel the fit very good

7. wfu97

wfu97 Karting

Jul 15, 2018
    North Carolina USA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Great info for a new owner! Thank you.

8. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I’m guilty of the same thing.
    Years ago my battery died and I put the replacement in at the parts store. I put the old one in the trunk.
    It slid and banged into the side leaving a bump on the quarter panel.
    It’s only visible at certain angles, but it does bother the hell out of me.

9. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Seems like an easy fix with a reputable paintless dent repair guy.

Milkshaker0007 likes this.
  10. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    The older 308s actually showed the smaller tool roll in the front spare tire.

Jack bag in the rear (with a rubber strap as mentioned)
    Good luck with it all...

11. Stenley

Stenley Karting

Oct 20, 2020
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Scott Tenley
  12. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    Ouch, I looks like it has removed some paint.
    Might be a job for a panel shop with a paint blend technique rather then just a dent repair.
    I'd say your are right, a loose jack hitting the side of the car around a corner.