430 - Lowering a 360/F430 on Stock Coilovers | FerrariChat

430 Lowering a 360/F430 on Stock Coilovers

Discussion in '360/430' started by SingleClutch, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    No philosophical debate on whether or not it should be done (I’ve already decided to go forward with it), but for those of you who have lowered your 430/360 on the stock coilovers I have two questions:

1. How were you able to compress the springs? I tried standard spring compressors, but they didn’t fit between the coils of the spring (pics attached below). I ended up grinding the compressors down to fit, and that’s super sketchy, but equally effective. There must be a better method.

2. How did you get the nut on the base plate of the strut to turn? I purchased the spanner wrench from Ricambi, but could NOT get it to budge, even with the spring fully compressed.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Fly fast and take chances

2. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Have you tried a cheater bar? A length of pipe that will fit over the end of your breaker bar will give you more leverage. This presupposes that the other end is firmly secured against the additional torque.

The pump handle for a floor jack can be used if the inside diameter is sufficient.

The last resort is an air driven or electric impact wrench.

Ray

3. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    The nut on the bottom of the strut is not something you could attach an impact wrench to. It requires a special spanner to turn. Here are a couple pics for reference. Thanks for the quick reply though!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. duck.co.za

duck.co.za Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2007
    Cape Town South Afri
    Full Name:
    Dave
    You do realise in your pic there are two nuts ?

5. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Haha, yes. As always, they come pairs
    The lower one is the one that cinches up against the other. I am unable to rotate it at all.

6. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    That is where a cheater bar will help. Spray the threads with WD-40 or PB Blaster. Let the lubricant penetrate for awhile. The longer the cheater bar, the more additional torque you can apply. We used that technique to remove stubborn fasteners on our tanks and it works. You may need an additional pair of hands and muscles to break it loose. They key is to prevent the assembly from twisting in the opposite direction, since the more torque you apply, the greater the tendency for the assembly to rotate.

Best wishes. There is nothing more satisfying than overcoming these challenges and fixing it yourself.

Ray

SingleClutch likes this.
  7. Ray Smith

Ray Smith Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 17, 2020
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Full Name:
    Raymond Smith
    Sorry, I thought you were referring to the nut in the top photo.
    Ray

8. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    #8 Flea7, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Kris,
    WD40 the whole area and compress the springs. Clean the threads so you have no debris in the channels. Since you're lowering the position it should take less effort to loosen. When the springs are compressed ..try moving the upper nut up...then turn the lower on down. I have a press and can help if you need assistance. I'm in Mill Creek. You can PM me..I'll be glad to help.

Also note that if you lower the car with factory springs, depending on how low, you will run into bottoming out on dips on the road or track. If you drive aggressively it would make sense in changing to stiffer springs. Let me

9. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Thanks Flea! I ordered a strut compressor that can mount to the floor or wall. I’ll give it another try after it arrives and let you know how it goes. I sure appreciate the advice and generosity!

10. clean512

clean512 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2010
    Full Name:
    Josh @jtcarprojects
    When I did my coilovers on my 360 I did not run into this at all. I just loosen the bottom and yes the spring had some tension but after maybe 3 full turns it was very easy to turn. Definitely use some PB on the threads. I did not need a spring compressor at all

11. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Yes, it can be done while they are still on the car but do remember that there is a lot of pressure on the aluminum threads. When you start unloading on a dirty thread you run into a chance of cross threading.....just clean them when doing it. IMO....the best way to do them is to just take them out and use a press.

SingleClutch likes this.
  12. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    Luck you! PB Blaster penetrant, got it. I’ll give it another try. Thanks!

13. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Just adjusted my coil overs back up as the shocks were bottoming out so just went through this. I adjusted my ride height back up to two fingers clearance between the fender well and tire. Does not look as cool but not scrapping fender or bottoming any more. Much easier to remove the shock, compress the springs so that they are away from the spring perch collars and use two collar wrenches after cleaning the threaded shock and soaking the collars over night with PB blaster or true penetrating fluid. WD 40 is not a penetrating fluid.
    It does not take much time to pull off the shocks. The picture of the multi tooth wrench, fits the lower collar as I recall, but you must use a conventional collar wrench for the larger upper collar. If a multi-pin collar large enough wrench can be found, get it because I had to grind a collar to properly fit the upper collar and it still slipped. One set of collars was jammed together and had to use a lead hammer on the small collar to knock it loose. I was close to using a air driven chisel hammer but it popped loose after using the hammer to shock it.
    You will get it loose with but take the coilover off the car or you will bust you knuckles. Looked up some of the mentioned floor mounted spring compressors and they look like they will work real well and save a lot of time.b
    Good luck.

SingleClutch likes this.
  14. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    That’s a little discouraging to hear, but I appreciate the honest feedback. I guess I’ll be the next guy in line to try this and possibly discover I’m not happy with it

My ride height is simply way too high - I think when I measure it, it’s about 2.5” from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender. I’d like to drop it by about half and see how it turns out.

Thanks again for the insights.

15. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    My 430 is lowered on stock springs. My tires rub the fender lips so freaking bad. I had them rolled too. I probably need stiffer springs to keep the movement down.

SingleClutch likes this.
  16. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    How far did you lower it from the stock ride height?

17. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I didn't get any measurements unfortunately. This is how it sits now though.

18. SingleClutch

SingleClutch Karting

Apr 19, 2019
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kris
    I don’t see anything

That’s about the stance I’m looking for too. I definitely don’t want tires rubbing the fenders though. I was looking at Novitec’s coil over suspension, but it’s $9,000. I can’t justify that. I wonder if anyone has tried the H&R lowering springs on factory coil overs. They’re only $500 for a set of four. Not bad, but a waste if they don’t do the trick.

19. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric

I think I read that the novitech springs are stiffer.

20. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    Hey Kris,
    You can opt just for the Novitec springs. They run around $1,100. I have no experiences with H&R with our F430s. Maybe someone can chime in on those.
    I have pics if you want to see the difference in stock and Novitec.

SingleClutch likes this.