Who needs a parts car? | FerrariChat

Who needs a parts car?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by kartboy1234, Feb 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    what kind of fake is this?
    est. retail value 80.000 US$ - totally joking estimation and so unserious

3. Veedub00

Veedub00 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2006
    Troy, Michigan
    Full Name:
    James
    I wonder what happened? Tire catch on fire? Charcoal canisters catch on fire first?

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #4 Steve Magnusson, Feb 6, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    I know a TR in Italy that could use the headlight covers ;)

Fuel leak fire on the 1-6 side IMO (maybe in the 1-6 Accumulator area, 7-12 fuel pump area, or 1-6 return line from the pressure regulator to the tank -- the top of the engine doesn't look too crispy).

theunissenguido and 2NA like this.
  5. J-P

J-P Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2007
    Wow! For sure. Could be good timing for him. But they better get realistic about the price.

6. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Perhaps they meant $80.00(?)

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Everybody knows Ferraris are worth millions. This looks like an easy repair. Whut a deal!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    I think they mean if it's fixed it's worth $80k. I'd get it to part out the headlights, driver door, bumper, and some random not melted bits. But for only a few thousand.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

9. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Current bid is $50.

10. 26street

26street Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2021
    Westchester New York
    Full Name:
    Mark k
  11. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Just hang the whole thing on the wall, bondo the body back together

12. versamil

versamil Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2013
    Gaston, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Brian Healy
    #12 versamil, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    hate to break it to you, but the current bid is $7700.00 and it will go for quite a bit more. If you're not a member of Copart the bids DON'T show up. You have to be a member and sign in. I think the 80K figure in the ad is what the insurance company paid the owner of the car. He had it UNDERINSURED! This was a very nice car, before the owner of the car had a fire in his garage, where he was also storing five other cars, including a Maserati Mistral I rebuilt the engine in the eighties. Another Ferrari already sold at an earlier Coparts auction. I went into Coparts to look at this car, but until an auction date is set, I can't inspect. It's really a shame. DON'T throw rags in a trash can in your garage!

What really got this car is the right rear tire ignited. I can't tell without inspecting whether the oil tank and gas tank added to the inferno. I've been researching this car for two months. Fire occurred a year ago in December. A shame this car is also stored outside- not that enough things aren't damaged already, but we've had a very rainy winter. I can't tell whether the fire got hot enough to melt the intake manifold on the passenger side, until I get to take a look. The engine wasn't running- the car was just in a garage that caught fire.

After seeing this car, I started really inspecting burned cars. I've seen 458's and 488's that have had engine fires, and there's NOTHING left but a pile of molten metal. Nothing even faintly looks useable. Other cars that were burned when Oregon had the fires in September, they're just hulks. It's amazing how totally a car can burn. I watched the videos of the fire department putting out this guys fire. They were ON IT quickly, or this would just be a pile of goo.

peteficarra likes this.
  13. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    Copart has an odd bait and switch. So if you log in, the price is up to $7700, and likely will go up significantly.

It is currently listed as "Sale Date Future" which allows bidding, but it could come up any time from a week from any given day to months or even years in the future.

14. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    Some companies regularly shrink wrap cars they want to protect the interior on. But, I fear this is not one of those.

Most of the lower right intake manifold is toast. The upper manifold looks mostly intact, although the forward pipe appears to also have some rot.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    That fire was so hot, anything made of aluminum is highly likely to be worthless rear of the A pillar.

Anything made of steel in the engine area may likewise be damaged (loss of heat treatment/ hardness). That includes engine/ tranny parts.

Everybody needs a small, steel ash can with a locking lid for ‘oily’ rags & paper towels.

Sadly, that car is worthless.
    The cost of transport and disassembly/ inspection/ cleaning/ refurbishment/ storage/ sales will exceed the value of retreived parts.

GET AN ASH CAN!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The problem with an engine bay fire is the magnesium. The bell housing is made of it and I think there may be other parts. When the fire gets hot enough to ignite that magnesium, nothing will stop it from burning. It burns so hot it will destroy all the aluminum around it. If it isn't melted then it is annealed and worthless.

I bought a TR engine from a fire car. Best $800 I ever threw in the landfill.

17. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    That's now an $800 story, do you still have it?

18. qwazipsycho

qwazipsycho Formula 3

Oct 30, 2004
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm sure by now it has been melted down, turned into soda cans, thrown away again, and turned into a Toyota.

19. kartboy1234

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Damn, could have been a burned coffee table

20. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    #20 CliffordK, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    A few of us have been quietly watching the car.

Ultimately it sold for $36,500 (or that was the next bid plus auction fees). The fees will bring it up to right at about $40,000 depending on user status, and a bit more if one chooses to put it on the Visa.

21. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    The real value of the car is its VIN. It helps if you happen to have a stolen TR laying about.

I know of a few incomplete project TRs which could be completed with parts from this car. But the cost of this one as a donor would exceed the price of the original project car.

22. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    I certainly wouldn't knowingly deal with a "HOT" car. However, for the salvage auctions, there are some that get marked with a non-repairable title when they are certainly well within what can be repaired. Often with less damage than vehicles with simple salvage titles, and far less damage than many vintage classic cars with clean titles.

23. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    I was not suggesting that anyone on Fchat would deal with stolen cars. It is just that when bidding on a rebuildable salvaged car, you are bidding against others that may have different ‘economic models’ in mind.

I have seen completely totalled exotics which could not be fixed for less than the price of a new replacement sell for 60% of the value of a good used example. The economics of the price do not make sense unless you have a second example with a title problem at hand.

24. CliffordK

CliffordK Rookie

Feb 6, 2021
    Springfield, OR
    Full Name:
    Clifford K
    I've been poking around the salvage auctions a bit.

Around here, it is rare to find engines in any junkyard cars.

My guess is they target recouping 100% of the car price on the engine, transmission, rearend, and a few other odds and ends. Then it gets sent to the yard for the scavengers, and they snag a few hundred to a few thousand bucks more for doors and various body panels. If they could protect the cars, they'd be worth a whole lot more, but eventually many parts that are not adequately protected simply rot away.

Even for the "Exotics", the parts add up quickly. Airbags, steering wheels, fenders, etc... every little part ads up.. a lot.

Of course the parts can end up sitting on the shelf for a very long time until someone needs that exact part and there is no substitute.

In this case of this Testarossa, there were two very motivated bidders that pushed the price up about $10K after all the other bidders dropped out. Who knows how much "profit" on it, but the parts are likely worth more than the bid.

25. ChipG

ChipG Formula 3

May 26, 2011
    Santa Monica, CA
    Owned 6 Testarossas and never paid over $50k for a perfect low mile car (all under 15k miles), now this? makes me want to light them on fire.