Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fabio Exhaust Owners Thread

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Qksilver, Feb 5, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TJsBeer

TJsBeer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 10, 2016
    Valley Forge, PA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Miller
    Does anyone have just the rear straight pipes that replace the rear resonators?
    I'd like to hear what it sounds like.

2. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    I have Fabio’s dual H-pipe and his muffler deletes/tips on my 456M. It was quite loud, almost sounded like a helicopter, so I actually put the factory center resonator back on (not restrictive at all) and it sounds much much better. I have a very high tolerance for loud too.

I am keeping the H-pipe on the off chance I get his headers so I can see how that combo sounds :)

TJsBeer likes this.
  3. A_Christoofar

A_Christoofar Karting

Jun 10, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Qksilver, Ferrari55whoa and F456M like this.
  4. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    This is an amazing idea! I definitely want to do this.

My mechanic and I think my intake manifold gasket is leaking and causing misfires, so no exhaust sound clips today. The shop that did my major in 2019 is so far the cause of a number of issues. Thankfully this one isn’t a huge deal, and not during peak summer driving.

5. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Joe- I would just leave that switch blank and have it look stock. That is what I was going to do, but now have Fabio's remote. Dave can convert the blank switch to a two position switch. The OEM ones have no guts.

6. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Dave is the only man for this
    You guys spent a small fortune on Fabios exhaust system which is a work of art. Dave’s work can only complement.

TJsBeer likes this.
  7. Jon Von Bon

Jon Von Bon Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 8, 2015
    Toronto / Florida
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That switch function is an awesome idea. I use Robbie at Sticky no more. He doe. Really pro job. I will call Fab and tee this up

8. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Added!

Added!

... and added!

Fchat Club:
    tazandjan: 575 Serial 135171, catted headers, mid section connectors
    DZ-96: 550, catted headers
    Jon Von Bon: 550, catted headers, H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control
    Dm993tt: 575 ???
    ifeelfree0: 575, catted headers, H pipe, valved mufflers, remote valve control
    tres55: 550 ???
    Niftyfivefifty: 550, headers, no cats
    F612: 575 Serial 135472, H pipe, valved mufflers
    Mirek: 456M, H pipe, muffler delete
    A_Christoofar: UK 550, H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control
    Qksilver: 575 Serial 138474, catted headers, H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control

Known/Unknown Non-Fchatters:
    FABIO! 575, catted headers, H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control
    Nero/Germany: 575, catted headers, H pipe
    Bill/Hong Kong: 550, catted headers, H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control
    Rosso Corsa/GTO Engineering Conversion: 575 Serial 129439, catted headers, H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control

A_Christoofar likes this.
  9. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yep, I spoke to Dave, he can do it! Waiting on the technical detail from Fabio before moving into the design phase though.

Love this! Isn't it the truth...

No such thing when we're talking about exhaust valves. We're all nerds here. I like this a lot.

Perhaps a monacle?

I'll keep everyone posted here - will pass along any/all info from Fabio and whoever ends up working the button design

I also like this. So many options - definitely merit to leaving it blank.

Yep, spoke to Dave - he can do it.

Thumbs up!

10. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
    I expect that you know, that the Abarth 595 Competizione has a Sport button, and there is printed SPORT on it.
    It opens the valve, gives more throttle response, ...

The new Abarth 595 model year 2021 has the logo of the Scorpione instead the word SPORT.

Nice idea from Fiat/Abarth.

A cavallino rampante on the Maranello button ?

Daniel

Qksilver, F456M, tres55 and 1 other person like this.
  11. DZ-96

DZ-96 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2010
    South Germany
    Full Name:
    Daniel
  12. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I have Fabios full system for the 550. I believe I was the first on FChat with his system.

Race headers, race cats, double-H resonator delete, valved mufflers with electric bypass.

Qksilver and F456M like this.
  13. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @tres55 i had been deep diving on all the old threads but had focused on U.S cars... I don’t think in my notes I had any info on your car...color, options, if you don’t mind sharing, may we know more about your unicorn?

14. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    TdF / Blu Scuro 1999 MY

Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    tres55 likes this.
  16. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Have Fabio's double H-pipes and rear straight pipes, in addition to aftermarket high-flow sport cats on my '00 550. Loud and proud. Sounds fantastic!

F456M likes this.
  17. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    lucky blokes.

Some day soon.

18. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    I can honestly say without Fabio's system I would've sold my car a long time ago.

It helps he's a stand up guy. Look forward to meeting him one day when I'm in his neighbourhood. We purchased a car from Austria recently...unfortunately due to travel restrictions couldn't pick it up in person but that would've been a great opportunity to visit him.

Next time. :)

-K1- and Mirek like this.
  19. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @tres55 did the aggressiveness in sound (which I agree completely is amazing) transform the experience so much for you that is what you mean about if you didn't have it you wouldn't have kept the car since its so "sedated" in OEM form?

I love a few of the @niftyfivefifty videos

I'm surprised @Qksilver video audio doesn't sound as rowdy as nifty's but it could just be the differing ways they are filming? Did you ever run a video/audio of your setup?

20. tres55

tres55 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 18, 2012
    Canada
    Yes.

I had an F355 with test pipes and a Tubi. Then I bought the 550M. After a year with the 550M I was looking to sell it because the sound was so underwhelming for a Ferrari. Then I came in contact with Fabio and ordered his system to try out.

Shortly after that I sold the F355. It was an F1 and had higher mileage so I wanted to replace it with a lower mileage manual transmission one now that the 550M was satisfying to drive in the mean time.

21. niftyfivefifty

niftyfivefifty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 5, 2007
    PacNW
    For the record we found some interesting fueling issues caused by O2 sensor issues after the wild YouTube video, and those issues definitely affected the sound. Of course, we did not discover the issues until after I had swapped from Fabio’s open h-pipe to the OEM center muffler. I am very excited to see what it sounds like now that the car is running better, and it should improve even more after I have the Motronic 5.2 ECUs flashed with the Go-Flow tune. My filming setup is a Rode mic suction cupped to the rear bumper and it feeds a Nikon D500 mounted to the passenger seat headrest.

22. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #48 NE550, Feb 9, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    It's tough to capture the "real" exhaust sound and volume. The variables of different recording devices/mics placed in different locations produce different results. Best that can be expected is to give a flavor of the overall sound. Gotta be in the actual car to really get the full aural experience.

My 550 had 1st gen Tubis on it when I bought it. They were (are) very "loud and proud", but they produce a very annoying resonance/drone at 2500 RPM at low speeds. So, I decided to try out Fabio's double-H pipes as a way to help quell the drone while improving exhaust flow vs. the stock restrictive center resonator. It did somewhat, then after talking with Fabio I decided to go with his rear straight pipes, too (much cheaper than his valved mufflers, and I like a loud exhaust anyway). The sound is...sublime. Sounds like a friggin' V-12 Ferrari should sound!

I may still purchases a set of his 6 into 1 headers plus high-flow cats, but FF says that on the 550 the HP increase is maybe 25 over stock headers, vs. +75HP (or so) for the 575 (575s have pre-cats which really kill exhaust flow; 550s do not have pre-cats) So, not sure if the significant $$ outlay is worth it.

On the other hand, there are few other mods one can do to significantly increase HP with these engines without major internal engine mods (or forced induction. No way I'd do that.). Well see...

F456M likes this.
  23. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Added. You car is stunning, by the way.

Added!

I reorganized the list to more easily digest the 550/575, header/non-header groups. I'm conflicted around whether to add the non-Fabio components for two reasons: (1) the initial intent was to document the proliferation of those who have Fabio parts - to create a reference for those considering and (2) because we don't have sound clips (let alone quality, comparable clips that would be required to truly drive real comparison) to make the various Fabio/non-Fabio combinations a true data-driven reference for future 550/575 owners. For now, I haven't included the non-Fabio parts for those who have them, but am open to hearing why I should.

Fchat Club:

Headers
    1. DZ-96: 550, catted headers
    2. Jon Von Bon: 550, catted headers, double H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control
    3. tres55: 550, catted headers, double H pipe, valved mufflers, remote valve control
    4. Niftyfivefifty: 550, headers, no cats
    5. tazandjan: 575 Serial 135171, catted headers, mid section connectors
    6. ifeelfree0: 575, catted headers, double H pipe, valved mufflers, remote valve control
    7. Qksilver: 575 Serial 138474, catted headers, double H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control
    Non-header/unknown
    1. Dm993tt: 575 ???
    2. F612: 575 Serial 135472, double H pipe, valved mufflers
    3. Mirek: 456M, double H pipe, muffler delete
    4. A_Christoofar: UK 550, double H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control
    5. NE550: 550, double H pipe, straight mufflers
    Known/Unknown Non-Fchatters:

Headers
    1. Bill/Hong Kong: 550, catted headers, double H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control
    2. FABIO! 575, catted headers, double H pipe, rear valved mufflers, remote valve control
    3. Nero/Germany: 575, catted headers, double H pipe
    4. Rosso Corsa/GTO Engineering Conversion: 575 Serial 129439, catted headers, double H pipe, valved rear mufflers, remote valve control
    Non-header/unknown

F456M and ifeelfree0 like this.
  24. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Joe- Mine has Fabio's remote, too.