Recommendation for a 4-gas analyzer | FerrariChat

Recommendation for a 4-gas analyzer

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by yelcab, Feb 6, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I need a recommendation for a 4-gas analyzer to tune old fashion cars. Can someone make a suggestion? $500-$750?

2. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    I looked for one of these several years back to get my 1992 C4 through Emissions testing. They were either $2,500 new or around $1,000 used. The problem with the used ones was accuracy. I ended up getting an Air/Fuel ratio wideband O2 sensor and gauge then installed it. Did the same thing on my carbureted 454s on my boat. That allowed me to dial in the Holley carbs on the boat and make sure the fuel injection was working properly on the Vette. In the Vette's case, I ended up changing the ECM to a FAST XFI so that it was more reliable and tunable. The only additional item I needed to figure out was the NO emissions which were controlled by the EGR valve on the C4 and didn't matter to the boat. Not a huge deal but it took three tries at the Emissions station to get that dialed in so that it would pass.

If you are dealing with carb systems......a wideband O2 sensor and gauge will probably get you 95% of what you are shooting for. They make one now that is handheld but you still need to install an O2 bung on one of the exhaust pipes.

https://www.amazon.com/Innovate-Motorsports-BASIC-Digital-Wideband/dp/B001S7W836/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Exhaust+Gas+Analyzer&qid=1612624813&sr=8-2

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Analyzers need to be calibrated regularly. An old used unit probably will need it. This could be quite expensive.

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Would that work if you simply insert the O2 sensor into the tail pipe?

5. Tegethoff

Tegethoff Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Los Feliz
    Full Name:
    Adam
    No, O2 sensors work by comparative measurement of free oxygen in the exhaust stream versus free oxygen in ambient air, which also has the effect of making them self compensating for altitude.

The rear of the sensor needs ambient air.

6. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    This is what I used and it is easy to install. Drill a hole and clamp it on. If you are just dialing the fuel system in.....then you can remove the O2 sensor and put in a plug. In any case you want to make sure the wire to the gauge/handheld you are using is long enough to reach the inside of the car. That way you now have a rolling dyno to see what is going on with the air/fuel ratio.

The first step is to set the idle circuit. On most carbs once the engine is warmed up, the idle circuit can be tuned. Personally.....anything close to 14 is good since 14.7 is optimum for the idle circuit. If the engine is cold .....fuel enrichment will kick in that will push the numbers to the 12 (rich) range. Depending on the fuel system (jets or needles) they can be tuned for cruise and wide open throttle.

That's what we used when we dyno tested marine engines since the air/fuel ratio impacted performance more so than recirculating emission exhaust gases.

https://www.amazon.com/GlowShift-Clamp-Wideband-Oxygen-Adapter/dp/B07KY1TJ6B

There are a number of decent YouTube videos on the subject.

7. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I am tuning an MFI system and it's giving fits. Supposedly, the MFI pump delivers the same fuel to each cylinder but one bank is spitting (lean?) while the other bank is OK. I can stop the spitting by closing the air bypass screw to nothing but then it is running rich at that point. Engine does run OK at higher speed but will not idle correctly.

I just need to stop the guessing by getting a device like this to aid in getting it to idle well. I just bought both the sesnsor and the clamp. Wish me luck and keep the suggestions on MFI coming.

8. INRange

INRange F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2014
    Virginia/Florida/Caymans
    Full Name:
    JD
    Definitely sounds like a small vacuum leak on the affected Bank. The leak becomes less relevant as the rpms are advanced. Monitoring the A/F ratio will hopefully help track it down.

9. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    Out comes the spray carb cleaner can to look for the leak then.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    It could also be a difference in cam timing between the two banks causing the idle issue.

11. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    #11 raemin, Feb 7, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2021
    For an old fashioned car what about colortune transparent spark plugs? These are not suitable to EFI tuning, but for CO adjustment and idle jet selection they do work perfectly. I am even using it to individually adjust the injectors of my K-JET MFI.

The only annoyance is the requirement to work in a slightly dark area (i.e late in the afternoon if you work outside).

https://www.gunson.co.uk/product/G4074

12. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    I have to say ..never seen that and not sure how accurate they can be but that is so cool

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

13. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    They are damn accurate as you can see the combustion inside the chamber: white combustion is too lean, orange is too reach, blue is perfect.

The plug are not perfectly transparent, so it's difficult in direct sunlight to distinguish between white and blue. Orange is super easy to see, so I usually start from rich and then lean the mixture until combustion is not orange anymore. Which gives me slightly rich. If I need to pass emission control, I perform the adjustment at night in order to reach the perfect combustion color.

Being a "glass plug" that's a fragile plug, so not to be used under load. High rev should be avoided, so cannot be used for main jets or EFI tuning.

They are so cheap that I have bought two sets in order to check cylinders in parallel.

flash32 likes this.
  14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have one of those I used before. Damn accurate, but very fiddly to see with a Porsche engine where the plugs are hidden and you need a mirror and you have only one tool and ....

flash32 likes this.