Separate Daytona Section | FerrariChat

Separate Daytona Section

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Wheels1, Feb 4, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    As there seems to be some unease about where to post Daytona questions, I thought I would see what you guys think?

I have asked Rob Lay in the past if we could have a Daytona section as per the 246 Dino.

That way all the Daytona information could be contained in one section for future reference and we could have a sub section for cars for sale etc.

All the important information is all over the place at present and such a valuable resource is being wasted. Ferrari Chat does many things well but I have found the search system hard to navigate.

Maybe if we all ask it might be considered again?

technom3, Nembo1777 and turbo-joe like this.
  2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I´m not really in daytonas but you are right. it is getting more and more confusing.
    so a new "DAYTONA only" section would be good

3. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Agree that seaching is not always easy (though using Google on the FerrariChat site works pretty well), but...

...I am always interested in the info about the other older models, and like seeing it all in one place. Often that info does provide some insight that is useful for those interested in Daytonas.

I also don't think that the Daytona production numbers are so high that the Daytona-owner's community is large enough to sustain its own section. There were a lot more Dinos (and supposedly, Dinos are "hot" these days), and the 206/246 section (which often also gets some spill-over from the 308-Dino folks) is already relatively "quiet" compared to the Vintage section.

Finally, unless someone plans to go back and move all the Daytona content from Vintage to a new section, one still is going to have the same search problem, and now there will be multiple places to search.

Net-net, I'd vote against a new section, but I'm actually not an old-timer, so don't think my vote should count for much... :)

All that said, I have mused about trying to get the DaytonaRegistry to be more active again. What do others think? If there is general interest, I can try and contact Mr. Schwartz, and see if he might be open to me lending a hand...

Daytonafan likes this.
  4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I agree there were not many Daytona's built, but the content in the vintage section that including Daytona's is high, this could be a subsection in the vintage section?

I don't think it would be hard to add everything with “Daytona” in the Title to a Daytona section, but I am no computer expert, in fact when I was at school they only had 1 and that worked with a card reader or punched tapes!!!

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    maybe just improve this sites search capabilities.
    agree too bad that the daytona registry is down. hopefully it can be resurrected.

6. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #6 TTR, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    While I can see value in Grant’s suggestion I tend to agree with Alex. Too much, too late.
    Besides, given that there’s some trigger happy contributors (I don’t mean you Grant) constantly/daily posting stuff all over these forums without much consideration to relevance, I believe the problem of correctly/incorrectly placed content would still continue.

As for Registry, years ago, after it became pretty much defunct, I (somewhat reluctantly*) offered to take over the administration, but the “founder” thought it, or more specifically it’s forum operations, were worth some $$s and a “sale”(?) wouldn’t had included the actual registry (!?!)

* Urged by some clients & friends who offered initial IT assistance, etc I surely would’ve needed to get things going.

OTOH, I’m also getting to a point I may just quit contributing since I don’t expect things to improve anyway. If anything, they’ll likely get worse.

7. Pierre P

Pierre P Rookie

Oct 30, 2020
    The Daytona deserves a section : so many things to say or show about it. The car is so important in the Ferrari history !

gt4me likes this.
  8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Agree with Gcalex, I'm not sure a separate Daytona section would add any value and I usually find what I need with a google search rather than using Fchat's own search.

As for the Daytona registry it is so long since I looked at it I wasn't even aware it was not functioning anymore.

9. gcalex

gcalex Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 16, 2010
    Mostly New Hampshire USA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The site is still up, but has not been updated in many years, and the forum section is not working.

The forum section may be redundant to what FChat provides, but it would be nice to have new info (for example from FChat threads) added to the site.

Not sure if the literal registry is still accepting new entries.

Daytonafan likes this.
  10. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    #10 TTR, Feb 5, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Edit (to clarify details):
    OTOH, should someone else have interest taking over it, I might pop in periodically to share my "opinions"or "views" unless they're deemed unwelcome.

swift53 likes this.