F8 costs in 2/3 years | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F8 costs in 2/3 years

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by adamellisdj, Jan 28, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis
    part of me thinks get the cheaper (£140k ish) 2012 low Mile (under 10k) 458 now and then if I want I can trade in and get a newer 488 in a few years. It seems like best of both worlds then.

My main concern is the 458 being fast enough (I’ve got a 2020 c63s 620bhp) and I don’t want to be underwhelmed. I would get it tuned to add 40 bhp, so that would help.

Looking back, having owned both, if you was able to get the 488 or 458 as your first Ferrari, which would you have gone for?

2. mkraft3003

mkraft3003 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 20, 2016
    Tampa, Fl
    I thought you made your decision on the 488 in post #22? I would get the newer car. The 458 feels slow compared to the 488, so if you have a c63s and want speed than 488 is the answer. Now go get it and post some pic. You never know what tomorrow will bring.

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    The bigger question is where / when will you be allowed to drive an F8 in a few years...

4. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

I know I know. This is a ****ing big deal to me haha. Aghhh

To put it into perspective, I had a yellow F355 model when I was about 8 and I always said I would get one. Obviously now, that would be silly as a high school earner, but no where near millionaire status. 34 now btw.

I do want newer and faster so there you go. The sound just worries me. As i say. Need to listen to them both.

The 488 gets tuned to 700bhp with a custom X pipe, full decat inconel system. I shudder at how that may feel.

5. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
  6. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    I only considered a 458 as my first Ferrari but that's going back a few years when the cheapest 488s were over £180k when i paid £130k for my 61 plate 458. Nowadays i'd buy a 488 as a first Ferrari for about £150-160k from a main dealer. I strongly advise only buying a Ferrari Factory approved car as they would have been subjected to a thorough examination to qualify. Some of the ones for sale at independents won't have a Ferrari warranty and might have been bought from Ferrari dealers because they failed Maranello's high standards.

MANDALAY likes this.
  7. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    458 ending at an independent because it failed Ferrari CPO standards may happen but for a 488 it's still unlikely - a 488 is still in the 7-year maintenance program (even if not for long) so it's been maintained by a Ferrari dealer from the start. A 488 could end up with an independent because the seller did not buy another Ferrari and/or would like to suffer from a lower commission than with a Ferrari dealer.

MANDALAY likes this.
  8. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Again, 488 for sure.

Those 40 hp you MIGHT be able to add won't make that big of a difference. What the tune does not add is torque over the entire curve. Without that, there's little difference.

Additionally, if you add that tune, all warranties are voided, instantly.

Compared to today's fast cars, a 458 does not feel very fast. A lot of noise, but little motorvation...

As for future value? Meh, nobody knows. Future value is also dependent on future buyers. Turbos get ever more common and popular, and in the future performance will matter. In a few years a 458 will be exceedingly slow compared to a lot of general cars, and that will matter. The 488 is significantly faster, and if one feels like it, actual power can be added.

You don't seem to respond much to the info advising you on the cons of the 458. The issues that can be with an old car that has not been driven are very real. Not sure if you really want the 458 more, so you try to justify it? It is a slower car, it is an older car and feels it. It is an unsafe bet due to the mileage. It will depreciate, and so will a 488. Both are pure, one is not more pure than the other - that's nonsense. At some point both cars will plateau and even climb a bit. That is not now and nobody knows what the future will bring. Get the car you like to drive the most, because that is the better value.

Tuning, low mileage etc. cannot make up for the differences. That warranty you say is on the 458 is gone as soon as you touch that ECU.

Want a faster 458 type car? Buy a Speciale. However, it will still not feel as fast. The 458 debuted 11 yesrs ago and much have happened since. Lots of newer, more modern and faster sports cars have come along, and from what I can tell, the 458 is not as highly regarded as it once was. That's just what happens with older models. It will also happen to the 812, F8, SF90 etc.

Get behind the wheel and try them. If you want a 458, look elsewhere. Find a newer car with more miles.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

MANDALAY and LVP488 like this.
  9. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

I could have bought a brand new 458 when they were released. I passed because it dint have the air openings on the side like all the previous mid engine V8's. The 488 came out and i had to wait to sell the house i bought with the 458 money. Actually was a good move as our house tripled in value over here.

I bought the 488 without even a drive. I was here reading the posts so i knew she was going to be fast. Since then been in a 458 and unfortunately for myself there is no logic to go down in power

10. Kent Adams

Kent Adams Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2020
    Some of the comments here are brutal.

11. FakeAwake

FakeAwake Rookie

Sep 25, 2020
    Full Name:
    JB
    #36 FakeAwake, Feb 4, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    458 and 488 will be moderate collectors cars for sure. The F8 will be forgotten about. You can tell by how fast they turn around on the used car lots. You cant find a low mile 2020 huracan (unless its an insane color like pink) but you can find a low mile F8 in the most popular colors... and italian cars are all about the colorway. You cant find a clean F12 berlinetta in a good color bc everyone wants one.

also the difference between a sedan and rwd mid engine car .... The difference is pretty big..

im kind of wondering if ur even actually buying this car because the comparison again of an AMG and a Ferrari is puzzling. This is as someone who owned a W212 E AMG and currently has an S65 AMG. Just pull the trigger you can always trade it later.

12. Trent

Trent Formula 3

Dec 10, 2003
    Indialantic, FL
    Full Name:
    Trent
    These types of threads perplex me.

It seems based on all of your comments that the 488 is the car for you. One sure fire way to sort it out is to go to a dealer that has all of your options drive them back to back; the winner will always be crystal clear.

There is no concern over “fast enough “as long as you buy something F430 or newer.

If you want something mind blowingly fast you’re gonna have to buy a Tesla Plaid. And please do, however it’s a very very different tool.

13. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Supertramp ....more popcorn please:rolleyes:

14. LivingthedreamBAB

Jan 2, 2020
    Full Name:
    BRIAN BUTT
    Normally wouldn’t comment on this but I was in what seems to be a very similar situation. I was between a 458 and 488 since here in the states there are coming closer together in price. I went and test drove both on the same day. The 458 is in my opinion the much better looking car (my opinion so don’t drill me on that) and the sound is WAY better (not an opinion...fact lol). The 488 was quicker and had the “new Ferrari on the block coolness”. But it was an extremely easy decision for me. 458 all day long bc of looks (hate the big side scoops as those look too Lambo/McLaren like and Ferrari V8 designed by Pininfarina) but the sound and higher RPMs make the hair rise up on my arms! I have friends who have both. 458 is more a purist car (yes I know it’s lacking the manual trans) and the 488 is more flashy. All depends what you are looking for. Either is not a bad decision. I agree the F8 values will start dropping similar to the 488 drops in the next year or two.

Bottom line I haven’t gotten in a Ferrari V8 I didn’t really like just like some more than others.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

15. RICH V12

RICH V12 Rookie

Nov 1, 2016
    A few years ! More like a few months or even now if you make an offer

16. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

I can’t test. Unfortunately. Once I can I will but due to not being able to test, some amazing deals are about.

17. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    What does Ferrari Factory Approved car consist of? Ive never heard of such a thing.

18. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Each to their own really. But with prices dropping yes they will but given the price of the SF90 the drop will be less.

19. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Im sure you have them over your way dodgy brothers ? They get the cars that Ferrari wont sell. You know what i mean.;)

20. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Some Ferraris which are taken in by Ferrari dealers in px against another one are sometimes sold onto independents. This is because they fail the Maranello factory Ferrari approved standards which prevents them from qualifying for Ferrari Approved used Ferraris.

MANDALAY likes this.
  21. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    Especially anything that is modified. But sometimes they will offer slightly more than the Ferrari dealer if the just want the car sold , not trade in.

22. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    That is sometimes the case. In the UK these days Ferrari main dealers are as competitive as independents. I've bought Ferraris from both but will only buy from Main dealers in the future. Some of the special Ferrari events i've been invited to is worth buying form main dealers.

MANDALAY likes this.
  23. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    I'm a similar age to you OP and was in a similar position last year - buying a first Ferrari, and choosing between 458 and 488.

Had every intention of getting a 458, as that's the one I fell in love with in 2010. I did as much research as I could on both, but unfortunately couldn't test drive either. My conclusion was that the 488 is a better car in every way, except the sound. Looks are subjective. I love both, but seeing them side by side, I thought for the first time that the 458 was showing its age a little (still stunning though).

If you have a long history of owning NA Ferraris/exotics, the sound might be a problem. But it was my first - so nothing to compare it to, and nothing to miss. I enjoy the sound of my 488 with the Capristo valve system (it's too quiet for me with the valves closed); maybe I would feel differently if I'd previously owned a 458, but I didn't, so no problem.

Had the 488 since June, done around 4,000 miles. It has been fantastic. Surprisingly refined, not intimidating to drive at all, and bonkers fast. It's my only car in the country and it's handled everything I've thrown at it (city traffic, mountains, highways, steep inclines... A ferry...)

Price was higher than a 458 but I still have years of free service, and there was a good choice of cars available with clean histories and Ferrari warranties (finding a good 458 is harder in my territory).

Not to miss out on the NA engine while it's still around, I'm planning on parking a 812 SF next to the 488 in a couple years.

Hope this helps. Happy to answer and 488-related Qs you may have.

24. adamellisdj

adamellisdj Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2020
    Full Name:
    Adam Ellis

Thanks mate. The dealer said he would park both cars outside for me to check out as were in lockdown here. I think for a decision like this I have to just drive both.

Did your exhaust void the warranty? Or is it just the valve controller?

if you give her some stick, can you hear the engine well inside the cab?

25. JonnySK

JonnySK Karting

Jun 28, 2020
    대한민국
    Full Name:
    Jonny
    No worries. Driving both is definitely the best way to go. I rode as a passenger in the 488 before I pulled the trigger, but I'm a white bloke in Korea and nobody's letting me test drive anything :D

The Capristo variable valve system is just a controller that lets you keep the valves open all the time so it's louder at any speed / idle. The exhaust is stock, so the warranty wasn't voided.

You can hear the engine loud and clear when you put your foot down. It has its own character - it doesn't scream to 9,000, it's a deeper sound, but I don't find myself dissatisfied with it at all. The valve system is a must though - I've driven it a couple of times with the valves closed (they open at around 4,000rpm) and it's far too civilized for me. Easy fix though.