IMSA 2021 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2021

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by kylec, Dec 22, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Racin is racin as far as I'm concerned. Great race.

2. If it's truly racing, then yes it's racing.

However, when you "level the playing field" by BoPing, it's no longer "racing", it's merely putting on a show.........(for the sponsors' benefit) :(

Thomas S. likes this.
  3. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Remember the first year NASCAR took over? Late in the race one of the Porsches ran wide in 3, ran through the grass, didn’t contact anything and just got back on track and kept going. Full course yellow came out even before the car was back on track, bunched everyone up and cost Wayne Taylor the win.

Same race last lap, Magnus Audi ran wide in the kink, Level 5 Ferrari passed on the inside for the win, but got a penalty for contact that didn’t happen. Lost the win, but got it back on appeal.

Same season, next race, NASCAR penalized the wrong car three times in a row, even with the team manager showing the officials that there were no signs of contact on their car, and later reviewing the video with them and pointing to a different car number on the one that actually was involved.

Yes, perhaps IMSA was good about the cautions and the penalties at some point. In the NASCAR era, not so much.

Thomas S. likes this.
  4. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Last couple years I think things had gotten better. Not sure why it changed at Daytona.

5. 'Called - "How to Keep Many Cars Running and On the Same Lap for 24 Hours in One Easy Lesson" by NASCAR/IMSA.....foreward by Sponsors Want Exposure...... Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I was there in 2018 when there were 4 cautions for the entire race.

7. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    If I may...

Recalling the first Sebring event under the new stewardship, nearly half the race was run
    under full course caution as they were throwing yellows for the least little things such as a
    harmless spin.

It was as if they were trying to make a mockery of sports car racing while reminding everyone
    who's in charge, practically crippling the race itself with all their nonsense so they may claim
    a melancholy close finish, a-la NASCAR.

Now, the cautions are used to keep the racing artificially close. Daytonner didn't like it back
    in the day when a team would routinely win the 24 hours by 60 or 70 laps - almost akin to how
    aghast they were at Indy when Fittipaldi drank orange juice instead of milk in victory lane
    which fueled the CART/IRL split.

To NASCAR officialdom, its not racing unless the competitors are nose to tail, door to door
    in a dust-up crossing the finish line to create those magic headlines they so desperately crave.
    No more 60 lap margins from first to second, so they "manage" the field with an abundance of
    cautions, which certainly disrupts the flow of events. But, at the checkered flag, viola, they've
    got their close finish.

Of course, we like to see close finishes but not at the expense of real racing on the track. F-1
    and the ACO have addressed this with the addition of "Virtual Safety Car" zones which seems
    to work just fine, no reason what so ever that IMSA may not do that as well. But, will they?

BHW

8. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    A friend of mine used to volunteer as a corner worker. He told me he was at the turn 5 kink for the first Rolex under the new regime, and when they saw a minor off at the horseshoe he says he said to the guys with him:

“Now I guess we’ll see who’s running race control, IMSA or NASCAR.”

(Full course yellow comes out immediately)

“Yep. NASCAR.”

He’s ‘retired’ from working the races now. Says he got sick of the BS.

9. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Say what you will as to how in happened, but today at Mid-Ohio, three different makes took the podium positions in DPi, and SEVEN different makes took the first seven positions in GTD!

10. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    And best of all Taylor and Derani didn't take each other out.

Progress.

BHW

JG333SP and blkfxstc like this.
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    GTD was a great battle. Shame about the late incident for Wright Motorsports though. It was weird not having GTLM there. I feel like we can basically swap P2 and P3 at this point, but I did miss GTLM.

There was a great crowd and perfect weather. I will post a few photos soon.

12. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
  13. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Derani had several opportunities to crash himself and others out (especially in the first few corners) and did not, I was proud of him.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Yes, there were a few "hold your breath" moments there near the end when Derani made a run
    at Taylor.

Fortunately, things turned out okay this time.

BHW

15. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    What is everyone's opinion on LMP3 in WeatherTech? At first I was expecting an LMPC like crash fest but have been pleasantly surprised. If it wasn't for the LM24 connection, I think I would say drop P2 for P3.

Image Unavailable, Please Login _7500375 by Alex Eichmiller, on Flickr