HOU - Can someone recommend me a wheel refinishing vendor? | FerrariChat

HOU Can someone recommend me a wheel refinishing vendor?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by timwu12, Feb 3, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I have a set of 18" Ferrari 360 Challenge wheels that were recently refinished by Rim Repair Houston.

They did a terrible job and scratched the circumference of the rear lip in the process of powder coating it and gave me attitude when I asked them to fix it. They also didn't mask the rear hub face or the bolt holes so they're now filled with powder coat and paint.

Can someone recommend a reputable wheel repair place that knows what they're doing to redo my wheels? I don't have any faith in Rim Repair Houston to fix their mistake.

2. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    So I have used Rollos before, but that was to repair a bend / repair a chrome outer lip

I almost used Sab as well, but he couldn't work on my chrome SSRs, so can't speak from experience but from my friends they say he does great work

I've used Curtis at Clarity but he takes a long long time (mostly due to covid situation) however his work is impeccable - but I'm not sure if he can do wheel work - however it sounds like you don't need wheel work, but paint work

If you don't mind me asking, how much did rim repair charge you?

3. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    $135/wheel was what they charged.

I thought Curtis went out of business, is he still around in another capacity?

4. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
  5. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Great timing for this thread!

I just bought a F12 that has some curb rash on one of the front wheels, which of the above recommendations would be best for that? Thanks in advance!

6. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    For curb rash, I would do Rollos - mostly because I have actually experience with them, they are on Star Ln near the FoH dealership (somewhat)

It's across STF Fitness (that's where I work out) and almost next door to Autodynamics (where I usually list my cars)

blkfxstc likes this.
  7. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    I used Rollos to repaint my 6.0 wheels from black (must have been a whack job to do that to one of the best wheel design of all time) back to pretty factory silver. Did a great job....

And I need to now go back to them to repaint my Ford GT wheels....what is the fascination with black wheels?

blkfxstc likes this.
  8. blkfxstc

blkfxstc Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2016
    TX
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Thanks all, I will give them a call.

9. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know

FWIW, the oven that are normally used have a conveyer the wheel sits on as it travels through. That surface is what causes the scratched appearance, being on the back side of the wheel most owners would never know nor care.. BUT Ferrari are different.

As for not covering the mounting surface and bolt holes, that sounds like an oversight, and should be easily addressed.

Find a company that hangs their wheels or use a reputable paint shop to refinish them.

Question about the price, does the $135.00 include mounting and balancing the tire back on the wheel?

GL in your search in Houston.

S

vraa likes this.
  10. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    I'm not sure if their ovens have a conveyer or if they're hung but when I brought up the scratches he immediately knew what it was from.

When they spray the wheels, they place them on a 2 tiered riser that looks like stadium bleacher seats so that the face of the wheel is facing them for them to spray. As they rotate the wheel while they're spraying it, that rotation from metal to metal contact on the backside is what caused the scratches. I wish it was only a superficial scratch to the finish but it went further than that and into the aluminum in several spots on all 4 wheels.

When I brought it up to them, he said it's the back side, no one sees that and tried to use that as his excuse to weasel out of fixing it. Ferrari or not, that level of carelessness in quality should never be acceptable to anyone.

As to the powdered back hub face and bolt holes, he says he does that for all wheels and has never had an issue so it was on purpose!

All in all, not a good experience and definitely won't be going back.

Pics after me picking it up, getting back home and looking at the back side. It didn't occur to me to check the back while at the shop so lesson learned, look on both sides next time!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Man, that looks like azz.....I don't think the mounting surface is ever painted, in my experience.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  12. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    you're right, it's not supposed to be painted.

painting the hub face can lead to the wheel being mounted uneven due to extra layers between the mounting surface and can cause a vibration.

painting the lug nut seat will compress the powder coat and can work a lug nut loose

13. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Perhaps a long discussion with Wheels America would yield a better result??

Or clean up what you have, and wait for the next curb, having rattle canned the rear rim....I know powder coating is all the rage, but......