430 - New to the ownership experience | Page 2 | FerrariChat

430 New to the ownership experience

Discussion in '360/430' started by JimDowd1, Jan 26, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    I see what you mean, but so far it hasn’t bothered me. We’ll see how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    Cold start is the best!

3. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    I feel compelled: Crepi Lupo!

4. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    Colors are grigio silverstone with crema. That’s a great suggestion on gloves. I’ve started looking around for a pair.

My wife is teasing me that the distance from the delivery truck to my garage is as far as I will ever drive it.

5. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
  6. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    My wife’s been teasing me that driving from the delivery truck to my garage - about 50 yards - is as far as I will ever go. I’m actually feeling apprehensive about adding miles / protective of the current low miles. Please talk me out of that mindset.

7. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    Here’s a bit more. She’s at 1070, which was the lowest mileage example I could find on the current market. Two prior owners. First drove about 750 miles in the first year; second who only put on about 320 in the next 12 years and had her trucked to and from yearly service. According to the papers, she lived all this time in SoCal. All original OEM parts in like-new condition; estimated 94% remaining on clutch. VIP book, complete original tool kit, inflator kit still wrapped in plastic, original mag light in the glovebox, etc. As far as I can tell, a perfect example of the model and vintage. Shout out to Brendan at BHF for helping me through the acquisition, and for the PPI / new tires / fluids / complete service / etc.

FerrariBrent likes this.
  8. JimDowd1

JimDowd1 Rookie

Jan 23, 2021
    Pacific Palisades, CA
    Full Name:
    James Dowd
    It was essentially market for the mix of year / model / mileage / options. I recognize I’m being a bit vague, to protect the innocent.

9. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    We all have our personal preferences, but I think that car sitting in the garage and only driver 300 miles a year is an absolute shame....I have a 2007 f430 spider that I bought a few years ago with 19,000 miles on it. currently has about 23,500, and I swear it dries better and better each time. I try to take it out at least every weekend if not every other.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JimDowd1 likes this.
  10. AandSC

AandSC Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 12, 2016
    Jax, FL
    Full Name:
    Allen
    Beautiful 430, welcome to the club!

I can see both sides of the drive/don’t drive equation but after a couple cars that I protected the miles on I said I will never have a car again I don’t drive as often as I want to. And I make it a point to drive my cars at least once a month to try and avoid the issues associated with parking a car for long periods of time. That’s also whyI bought a 22K mile 430! So I don’t have to worry about the miles.

At the end of the day it’s your car and money so your decision on driving or not.

FerrariBrent, cole328 and JimDowd1 like this.
  11. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    THAT is the biggest problem with buying a car with such low miles!!!

You almost have to just make a decision. This car is either a collector and most of your enjoyment will be looking at it in the garage and taking care of it, or you will enjoy the car for everything it has to offer. This includes the MAIN thing it has to offer, which is the drive!

Some of it is your mindset when you bought the car. WHY did you buy it?

I bought mine with around 15k miles. My mindset then, as it is now, is to NEVER sell the car. Since the beginning, I've considered the purchase price as lost money. Thus, mileage is meaningless to me. If somewhere down the road I can no longer drive the car and I sell it for $1 or give it away, it makes no difference in my life.

Kevin

12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

U have too many nice toys;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttforcefed likes this.
  13. RichardCH

RichardCH F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 16, 2005
    But if you are not planning on driving it, why are you even posting here ?

Samiare likes this.
  14. colorfull

colorfull Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2020
    Franklin Park, New Jersey
    Full Name:
    John Napoli
    On the one hand, it must be miraculous to have one in that condition sitting in the garage, so preserving that preciousness is a nice concept, I guess thats the collector mindset.

On the other hand, there is NO WAY I could have one of these cars and just look at it

So you either need another one just for driving while this one sits in a bubble, or, vroom vroom

FerrariBrent and JimDowd1 like this.
  15. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Would you rather own a car you look at, or get to tell people how awesome it is to DRIVE the car?

FerrariBrent, Ray Smith and JimDowd1 like this.
  16. armedferret

armedferret Formula 3

Mar 24, 2018
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Mark
    No such thing, sir. ;)

Now stop discouraging him, some of us live vicariously. :D

17. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Another mindset is to drive the crap out of it and get it slowly certified under the Ferrari Premium Programme. Offset from extra mileage made up for by being certified Ferrari Premium

Ray Smith, armedferret and JimDowd1 like this.
  18. Mistahtowsan

Mistahtowsan Rookie

Dec 19, 2018
    Full Name:
    Marc Townsend
    That is one beautiful car! Congrats!

19. MikeIL

MikeIL Rookie

Aug 4, 2020
    Full Name:
    Mike Lazar
  20. BLACK CARS

BLACK CARS Rookie

Sep 23, 2016
    Bought a black/black/black '07 Spider in 2013 and was going to keep it forever. Great Car. However, got caught up in things and replaced it with a 488GTB. Still see the F430 around here as it was bought by a neighbor. Small points - watch the tail lights as they have a high breakage rate around there base for no apparent reason ($500 each and not really permanently repairable) and don't believe the clutch remaining mileage readings (remove the bottom plate, two bolds) and physically measure it before spending $8k.

21. RosoF1

RosoF1 Rookie

Dec 14, 2014
    Love cars with high contrast - congratulations ! Regarding an incentive to drive - the former owners have already made that easy for you. IMO, while high mileage is cause for a price deduct, low mileage (for a non-numbered, special edition car) rarely commands a premium. That means you can easily drive normal miles or more and still have a low-average mileage car if you resell. At very least, get informed and participate in events put on by your local dealer.

22. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I have a similar mindset on my 458. I've labeled it an inheritance item for my kids. I did however just get a 2017 Shelby Gt350 with 48 miles (not a typo, 48) and we had a bit of a dilemma looking at this thing and asking "do we want to make this a daily now?" This car sat covered in a garage essentially forgotten all this time and had not even needed a wash in it's lifetime. It's not a LaF but its still a bit of a "special" car that would likely have some collector value some day and we got it in pristine condition. It's getting PPF now and Im going to use it as a fair weather daily driver and just take care of it. Maybe this is easier to do when its only a $50k car. I think this one could also end up on the permanent list as well though.

FerrariBrent, JimDowd1 and kes7u like this.
  23. Danbossi

Danbossi Rookie

Nov 25, 2020
    Beautiful NJ
    Full Name:
    Danny Bossi
    I just bought a 2017 488 GTB with 1400 miles and after doing some research I found out that the difference between my car and one with 15.000 miles is about 15 to 25k difference.
    So with that in mind, I'm going to go ahead and drive it as much as I desire and let those 25k(or more) be some of the most well ever enjoyed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

alum04org, FerrariBrent, AZ77 and 4 others like this.
  24. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri
    I got my 06 F430 2.5yrs ago with only 4200 miles on it but I had a different reason for getting such a low milage car. I wanted to drive the heck out of it, enjoy every second of it and still have a moderately low milage car a few years later. It's been great doing road trips, weekly drives around town, doing a couple track days a year and going to as many local car events as possible. I feel a little bad putting so many miles on it but the smile on my face everytime I'm behind the wheel makes me forget all about the miles and now I can't imagine ever selling it now that I've experienced so many awesome miles. I'm currently doing a 3 week trip down the east coast of Florida to key west and then back up the gulf coast. It's been great and the ODO just changed over 21K last night.
    My vote is drive the car and enjoy it because 1 you never know what tomorrow will bring, 2 these cars are meant to be driven not be garage trophies and 3 they cost too much to not enjoy driving them. Just my opinion :)
    Frank

25. Fv81587

Fv81587 Karting

Aug 18, 2018
    Novi, Mi
    Full Name:
    Frank Valeri