458 Challenge Tire Question? | FerrariChat

458 Challenge Tire Question?

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by YellowMurci, Sep 27, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. YellowMurci

YellowMurci Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 17, 2005
    NyC Baby!
    Full Name:
    Harry
    If you were using this car just for track events and not series racing can you run street tires? meaning a cup2 or trofeo r? im sure will reduce the expense of changing tires everyday for 5k - or perhaps the hankook slicks?

2. FerrariFab

FerrariFab Karting

Jan 14, 2010
    Inland Empire
    Full Name:
    CFI Designs
    Have you tried the nitto nt05r? 305/35/19 its very affordable drag radial

3. stradleboy

stradleboy Formula Junior

May 14, 2006
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Bennett
    A set of the Pirelli tires are around $2600, you should not be paying anywhere near 5k

4. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    As an aside, I bought a set of tire warmers for my Pirelli's and they helped greatly at extending the tire life as you reduce the number of heat cycles on the tires. I have tried Michelins with no luck, they seemed to confuse the ABS as their circumference is a bit different than the Pirellis. Stick with the pirellis and get tire warmers if you want to buy fewer tires.

Attached Files:

ewright likes this.
  5. rlips

rlips Formula Junior

Jul 29, 2011
    New Jersey, USA

Wow, great idea. How many heat cycles are you getting? I'm finding 1 good heat cycle, two ok, 1 not so good and last 1 is 3-4 seconds off pace and not fun. Total of 5, max.

6. Joeyung

Joeyung Karting

Mar 9, 2011
    Kentucky
    Well you do get one good run on the stickers, then I can get about 6-8 good days on the tires as I am only putting on one heat cycle per day. Then after that they fall off significantly. You know when they are done.

7. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    We have been running Michelin's on the 458 with no issues including our endurance races of 8 hours or more. I have sets if you are interested. I think you will find that most street tires and other slick brands will have ABS and TC issues.
    I am also liquidating a large amount of our 458 spares and inventory making way for 488 and the GT3 inventory. Let me know what you may need.

8. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Continuing the quasi-street tire discussion, I’d like to run sport cups or trofeos on my 458c. This is for DE and track days and I’m not interested in running at the edge on slicks. I will also use the car on the street from time to time for cars and coffee or Ferrari shows so an actual street tire is my preference. What is the best option to run in place of slicks?

9. CarbonDan

CarbonDan Karting

Aug 19, 2017
    PNW
    I'm absolutely intrigued by this...
    How has it been working for you over the last 2-3 years?
    When you say 6-8 days, does that look like around 5x20 min sessions per day, times 6-8?
    That would be a game changer.

I'm in the same boat as many others - I want to have a 458C (Or GT3 Cup) for non-competitive DE track day use only.
    I'm perfectly OK with running a few seconds off the fastest pace possible if it means saving tens of thousands of dollars in tire costs over the term of a season.

Has anyone else tested out the tire warmer/single heat cycle hack?
    Has anyone tested street tires or hoosiers with good results (no ABS/TC issues etc)?

I currently run a 2018 GT3 street car with Dunlop Sport Maxx Race tires (street tires) and a viper ACR-E with OEM Kumho V720 tires (comparable to a hooiser I'd say).
    My times are about 2 seconds off of a top level driver with the same cars at my local track.