458 Reset / Recalibration process | FerrariChat

458 Reset / Recalibration process

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by dscary, Jul 5, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dscary

dscary Rookie

Jun 12, 2015
    I was reading a thread in the 430 section and someone listed a recalibration procedure that fixed a couple problems with their car (i.e. radio audio not working properly). It was turn ignition on for 30 seconds, off for 5 and then start the car.

There are any number of quirky things that go on with my 458, such as not being able to control the right screen, bluetooth popping in and out, seat heater warnings coming on (even though I don't think the car has seat heaters).

Is there a similar procedure for the 458?

Detail: 2013 458 Spider

2. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    +1 any help

3. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Also curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    If you are having issues, check your batteries if have not done so. A low battery will cause all sorts of issues to appear and then go away and appear again. Also, make sure your car is always on a tender when not driven.

When I first bought my 458, I had intermittent issues pop up. The car started fine, ran well and was on a tender when not driven (meaning when I was done with a drive, the car was on the tender until the next time I took it out). I changed the battery and all the issues went away. Keep in mind it was the factory battery and was going on 4-5 years old. Actually surprised it lasted that long.

If the battery is good, you can disconnect it for 5 mins or longer and then reconnect and go through the restart procedure. The ambient air temperature needs to be above 41 degrees F.

The following is from the owners manual (it is actually in a few different areas of the owners manual)

Disconnect Procedure

- Put windows down at least 2-3cm or more
    - Make sure that consumers are turned off (i.e. lights, windshield wipers, radio, etc.)
    - Turn AC off
    - Remove the negative terminal clamp and place so that it does not come in contact with the negative terminal or with any metal on the car

Connect and Re-learn Procedure

- Temperature must be above 41 degrees F
    - Connect negative cable to negative post of battery
    - Close doors and leave vehicle alone for at least one minute
    - Before starting engine, ensure all doors, engine and luggage compartment lids are closed
    - DO NOT switch on any consumers during this period
    - After one minute or so, lock/unlock doors with remote (you should be standing outside of the car)
    - Open the luggage compartment lid by pressing the button twice on the remote
    - Insert key in ignition and turn to position II and WAIT AT LEAST ONE (1) MINUTE before starting engine
    - Start engine
    - Leave the engine stationary for approximately 10 mins in the following conditions:
    - Engine at idle speed
    - Water temperature stabilized
    - Consumers switched off (do not turn them on)
    - A/C off
    - Close doors and raise the windows to the upper limit and then lower windows. Raise them again and check that they move down to the target position when the doors are opened
    - Lower and raise rear window (spider only)
    - Set date and time on instrument panel

If you fail to follow the procedure above as described in the owners manual, the car will implode and turn into a pile of mush....:D:p

The owners manual is a wonderful tool.....:)

Dorin Candea likes this.
  5. FerrariCognoscenti

FerrariCognoscenti Formula 3

Jan 19, 2021
    East Coast
    Thank you for sharing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk